Taking a pistol camping in PRM

OK, i'm pretty sure I know the anser to this, but here goes anyway:

Background:
MA resident with Class A, "hunting and target". NH NR CCW permit.

I'm taking the family camping in Ma and NH next week. Not tent camping, but in a hard sided travel trailer. I usually pull my SIG out each night and put it on the night stand at home. Could I do this while camping in MA, assuming I have some secure storage for it when not "in use"?

Can the trailer be considered my home? (if it makes a difference, it has all the facilities of a house: flush toilet, tub/shower, etc.)

BTW, I'm not real keen on the idea of using a pistol for defence in a campground since walls are thin and easily penetrated, not to mention the door to the trailer is BETWEEN where I sleep and my daughter sleeps. I've bought couple BIG canisters of pepper spray for the purpose instead.

Matt

An extention of this same question: What if you had a second home, say, on the cape? would you be able to keep firearms there given the same restrictions on the liscense?

Pulling out your gun and leaving it unsecured on the nightstand as you sleep is a violation of Massachusetts' criminal law concerning secure storage. Don't do it.

Your LTC is restricted to target and hunting. Camping in a campground is neither. If you bring a gun with you, keep it lawfully securely stored.

Cross-X said:
Pulling out your gun and leaving it unsecured on the nightstand as you sleep is a violation of Massachusetts' criminal law concerning secure storage. Don't do it.

I tried to be so specific so there would't be any confusion... but for got this little detail: It's cable locked through the action. I just like it in reach, and the cable lock is more "gross motor" friendly than my safe. I need to get a good push button pistol safe.

Cross-X said:
Your LTC is restricted to target and hunting. Camping in a campground is neither. If you bring a gun with you, keep it lawfully securely stored.

I guess my question was better stated: "How does the definition of "home" work in MA, as it applies to firearms?" as I'm not "transporting" when the trailer is set up.

But reading the law more carefully, I think "home" has nothing to do with it, as I origonally thought:

stupid law said:

So, maybe the question shifts to "Is the pistol "under my control" when locked with the cable lock, but on the night stand?".

Matt

matt said:
So, maybe the question shifts to "Is the pistol "under my control" when locked with the cable lock, but on the night stand?".

Doesn't have to be under your control when equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

NOTE: The gun may be STORED with a trigger or cable lock, but the transportation statute requires a locked case. Make sure the gun is in the latter any time the camper is in motion!

Scrivener said:
NOTE: The gun may be STORED with a trigger or cable lock, but the transportation statute requires a locked case. Make sure the gun is in the latter any time the camper is in motion!
Ouch! I had never realized that! When I drive my car (with lockable trunk) am I in violation if I have my rifle + cable lock inside the trunk?

A small tangent, is a loaded magazine in the trunk an issue? I make sure they are all unloaded when I leave the range because I am paranoid, but I have always wondered.

Locked trunk is sufficient. See Chapter 140 S131c:

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.
Full text is here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131c.htm

Loaded mags are NOT an issue wrt MGLs, as long as they are NOT in the gun. Unloaded in MA means NOT in the gun.

Disclaimer: Other states have different laws and definitions of this issue.

Back
Top Bottom