Taking new people to the range

This Saturday I'm supposed to be taking a bunch of people(around 5 or more) shooting this weekend. Most have never shot, or if they have it was in a limited experience. I told them to pick up eye and hearing protection because I only have a couple pairs. Also to bring some extra cash to pool for more ammo.

Safety orientation
-Always pointed down range
-finger off trigger
-It's always loaded
-If it has a sight, don't put your eye all the way up to it.(Raise your hand if you've done that.) *raises hand*
-Plus all the local range stuff

Operating Procedures
-Have everyone write their name on a target.
-I go through how each firearm functions, I fire, then they each take a turn firing with me supervising, and then move on to the next gun and repeat the process.

What I'm bringing
-lever action .22LR: Will start off with 1 Round, and then fill it up.
-AR 15: going to load up the magazines to 5rounds each. Both as safety precautions, plus it feels more productive if you have to stop and change mags.
-386PD revolver: will again start off with 1 round, and then load it up. Will be using 38Special with this, and if they want I'll let them try a couple rounds of .357mag.(I really need to invest in a .22 pistol for this kind of thing)

Maybe bringing
-SKS
-Shotgun

I missing/forgetting anything?

I brought a friend to the range the other day. I kept a continuos watch over him even though he seemed to have everything under control. It might be tough to have multiple shooters who are new. If they are shooting one at a time that should be ok, but having everyone shoot at the same time might be challenging. I would add a short demo of clearing jams, hangfires and squibs, and make sure everyone is clear on ALWAYS pointing the gun down range.

I recently taught one of my female friends to shoot. I was somewhat shocked to find that she was a natural shooter. Her first ten shots at 50 feet were within a 6" group and by the end of two hours, she was producing 3-4" groups repeatedly! I did, however, have to say "watch your trigger finger" about 50 times before it started to set in her head not to instictively grab at the trigger.

You're not shooting sem-auto handguns I see. If you were one thing you should always check for (seen this first hand) is to make sure folks don't cross their thumbs when holding the gun. That damn recoil energy can hurt like a bitch when the slide snaps back.

A few things i'd also mention to new shooters:
-Dud/Hang fire procedures
-Raising gun up to target rather than down onto target from ceiling(if indoors, usually is standard practice)
-Stress trigger control over and over....put a few spent rounds in without telling them and let them see the barrel jump.
-Shoot something that gives them instant feedback...those visible targets that show yellow when hit, spinners, clays, etc.....new shooters dont get much feedback from putting a .22 in the black at 50 yards unless youre having them look through a spotting scope.

Don't overwhelm them.

Stick to keeping it safe and give 'em large targets. THEN, as you see that they are able, introduce other topics.

Avoid any and all actions beyond strict demonstration. You don't want to turn anyone off by making them think that they can't do something well enough.

Be careful with that many people. It is very very hard to work with two new shooters at the same time. Five is a lot.

I can't stress about starting with big targets. In fact, a big blank piece of cardboard is even better. All you want is to get them making holes at first. Worry about hitting a target later.

Assume nothing. Better to repeat something several times than to assume they got it.

And yea, a .22 pistol should be a part of everyone's collection. Not just for teaching, but nothing is cheaper for drilling basic marksmanship.

I think you will find that even with the .38 you might induce bad habits of flinching. Some people are really recoil sensitive at first. At least once a year I have to break out the big heavy .22 revolver just so the shooter stops trying to 'correct' for recoil.

Use the "coach and student" method where you pair off people and while one shoots, one observes and makes comments. Even high level competition shooters do this as someone else can see things you'd never notice. And having a beginner watching a beginner usually picks up things an instructor might not think about, as well as reduces the intimidation.

Watch for closing the eyes. Actually, watch for all the bad habits. Nipping them now can be a lot easier than later. Also, moving up to a more powerful gun can cause real safety issues if small things on a small caliber are not dealt with. Your proximity to a scope is a great example. Although I would probably not introduce scopes at this time.

At this point, you want to stress the safety and keep it fun.

Nothing's better then bringing a newbie into the range... the best part is they have to clean up all the brass :D

You're not shooting sem-auto handguns I see. If you were one thing you should always check for (seen this first hand) is to make sure folks don't cross their thumbs when holding the gun. That damn recoil energy can hurt like a bitch when the slide snaps back.

Good advice, to which I would add: If they're using a two-hand hold on the revolvers, watch that they don't extend their weak side index finger forward alongside the cylinder/forcing cone gap. The gas that comes out of there can really sting. Please don't ask me how I know.

It'll be only one person at a time, club rules for guests, plus this'll be the first time I've taken new people along. So I'd still have it one at a time.

Only reason I'm doing scope stuff is because my AR is is one of those Rock River Arms' models with the rail on top and no iron sights.

When I take a new shooter to the range, I usually go over all the safety issues at my house before hand. get them use to holding the gun with the proper grip and how the gun works and what to expect. Then at the range, my only concern is saftey, New shooters will do crazy things when they get excited, especially if the gun jams.

The only other thing I'd advise is standing close behind the person shooting so you can prevent them from turning around with a firearm in hand.
I've taken many newbies shooting and for some reason no matter how much you emphasize keep the gun down range, often times someone will turn to ask something and the gun turns with them.
Be it excitement from having printed on paper or a question they may have, no matter how carefull they're trying to be most will turn with the gun out of habit.

Tell them the best safety they have is their finger, because the gun will not go off unless the trigger is pulled. Tell them that unless they are actually on target about to pull the trigger, their finger needs to be along the frame. Easy way to remember/reinforce this is "on target, on trigger. Off target, off trigger". Also tell them to keep the trigger pull nice and smooth. It helps you you have them do a couple of dry runs first. And eyes, ears and hat at all times.

I'm a RO, and I've seen a bunch of new shooters develop a flinch because they started out on the wrong gun/caliber. I highly suggest you not bring the .38, find a friend that has a .22 handgun or see if the range has a .22 available to rent. Where I am at all first time shooters start out on a .22 .

And as pipmaster1971 said, make sure they don't cross their thumbs, while you can do it on revolvers, its a bad habit to get into.

Don't overwhelm them.

Stick to keeping it safe and give 'em large targets. THEN, as you see that they are able, introduce other topics.

Avoid any and all actions beyond strict demonstration. You don't want to turn anyone off by making them think that they can't do something well enough.

Be careful with that many people. It is very very hard to work with two new shooters at the same time. Five is a lot.

I can't stress about starting with big targets. In fact, a big blank piece of cardboard is even better. All you want is to get them making holes at first. Worry about hitting a target later.

Assume nothing. Better to repeat something several times than to assume they got it.

And yea, a .22 pistol should be a part of everyone's collection. Not just for teaching, but nothing is cheaper for drilling basic marksmanship.

I think you will find that even with the .38 you might induce bad habits of flinching. Some people are really recoil sensitive at first. At least once a year I have to break out the big heavy .22 revolver just so the shooter stops trying to 'correct' for recoil.

Use the "coach and student" method where you pair off people and while one shoots, one observes and makes comments. Even high level competition shooters do this as someone else can see things you'd never notice. And having a beginner watching a beginner usually picks up things an instructor might not think about, as well as reduces the intimidation.

Watch for closing the eyes. Actually, watch for all the bad habits. Nipping them now can be a lot easier than later. Also, moving up to a more powerful gun can cause real safety issues if small things on a small caliber are not dealt with. Your proximity to a scope is a great example. Although I would probably not introduce scopes at this time.

At this point, you want to stress the safety and keep it fun.

Each and every point is sound and I endorse them all.

Okay, most of the of the people had to reschedule, so only 1 could make it today. Went pretty well, fired off a couple hundred rounds at paper targets and a steel plate. Left my vid camera at home though, will try and bring it during one of the later days.

I did, however, have to say "watch your trigger finger" about 50 times before it started to set in her head not to instictively grab at the trigger.
Arrrgh!!! My major pet peeve!

Why do people reach for that trigger immediately?!?

I even suspended a newbie session once for the same reason. It was my niece and I told he we were done forever unless she got it in her head to STOP reaching for the trigger the instant she picked up a gun. I told her that was the easiest way to shoot someone, and that seemed to finally sober her up.

Do's & Don't's w/new guests at the range...

This Saturday I'm supposed to be taking a bunch of people(around 5 or more) shooting this weekend.
I missing/forgetting anything?

d.shooting.jpg

If you get a chance, please read the rest of this gents (Paul Simer) article with the link below it ~ it just has to be, undoubtedly, one of the best I’ve ever come across. It may be a tad too late for your Saturday shoot but it should help most all of us when taking folks for an enjoyable day at the range.

Perhaps, if it is fitting, his article and or link could be placed as a "sticky" on the proper thread? Thanks.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _​

New shooter, going to the range with me? Read this.

I’ve taken so many folks shooting for the first time that I decided to create a page with all the information I wanted you to have before you hit the range. First is instruction on how to ensure safety while we’re there, then there are some specific rules concerning shooting as my guest at my particular shooting range. Finally I give you some pointers on what you can do to make your range trip more pleasant. . . .

Back
Top Bottom