• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Desert Eagle Megathread…

Yea I got mine new and probably have 150 rounds total through it between 44 and 50AE so I haven’t had to change out spring but yea makes sense to swap the spring it def won’t hurt!

The factory rubber hogue grips are decent but just soooooo ugly I had to swap them out. Wicked grips has a nice selection so went with them.
Yeah the grips aren't anything to look at but if they provide a good grip I'm fine with them. I have all rubber Hogue grips on my DW revolvers and they work WAY better than factory wood grips lol.
I'll check out wicked grips.

Good to know. Have you needed to change out springs yet?
I figured since the one I bought is used and it's an older model, it might be worth having a spring kit on hand. So I ordered a spring kit from midway which will be here on wednesday.
Just in case the recoil springs or mag springs need to be replaced. The pawn shop that I bought it from said it's in excellent condition and doesn't appear to be fired much. But you never know.

I changed out all my springs yesterday with the Midway spring kit. It wasn’t all that hard and completed it in around an hour. I will say that replacing the internal bolt spring that pushes the casing out was a complete pain in the ass. Lot of pressure there so getting it back together took a while. Time for a range trip to see how everything works.

It was interesting though to see how much the old springs had compressed down compared to the new springs.

I changed out all my springs yesterday with the Midway spring kit. It wasn’t all that hard and completed it in around an hour. I will say that replacing the internal bolt spring that pushes the casing out was a complete pain in the ass. Lot of pressure there so getting it back together took a while. Time for a range trip to see how everything works.

It was interesting though to see how much the old springs had compressed down compared to the new springs.
Nice!! Maybe I'll skip changing the bolt spring for now [laugh]
I figured at least changing the recoil springs would be good insurance.

Yeah the grips aren't anything to look at but if they provide a good grip I'm fine with them. I have all rubber Hogue grips on my DW revolvers and they work WAY better than factory wood grips lol.
I'll check out wicked grips.

Yea the grip is solid with the hogue. I dont mind hogue grips on my stainless guns just on the all black I needed to switch it up although I picked up a Smith 7 Wesson 929 Jerry M performance center 9mm revolver and had to upgrade those! Swapped them havent even shot the gun but going out this weekend to test it out.

pZQQg98.jpg

SdgPbI5.jpg

[laugh] Yeah I'll be the first to admit that it is an overpriced toy but I feel like I'll really enjoy shooting it. I reload 44 magnum so it cost me like $12-$13 per box and I've got thousands of rounds loaded up with components to load more. So ammo availability/cost is no issue to me really.

Even so I doubt I'll be shooting hundreds of rounds every week with this. I'll probably just blew through 50 rounds every time I bring it to the range.
I'm a bit disappointed this isn't gonna be your go to carry gun :(

Yea thats the kicker the typical 2 thumbs stacked on the left side seems to be the issue. I sometimes forget to keep my left hand almost cupping the bottom of the magwell and then keeping my right thumb a little lower when I grip. When I do that no issues.
Meh.

One-handed. That's the way to go... [rofl]

Yea the grip is solid with the hogue. I dont mind hogue grips on my stainless guns just on the all black I needed to switch it up although I picked up a Smith 7 Wesson 929 Jerry M performance center 9mm revolver and had to upgrade those! Swapped them havent even shot the gun but going out this weekend to test it out.

pZQQg98.jpg

SdgPbI5.jpg
Dang that's a slick looking revolver with those grips

Yea I got mine new and probably have 150 rounds total through it between 44 and 50AE so I haven’t had to change out spring but yea makes sense to swap the spring it def won’t hurt!

The factory rubber hogue grips are decent but just soooooo ugly I had to swap them out. Wicked grips has a nice selection so went with them.
Have you tried any 180 gr 44 mag ammo?
I’ve got a TON of 180 gr rounds loaded up. Would be nice if they work.

Have you tried any 180 gr 44 mag ammo?
I’ve got a TON of 180 gr rounds loaded up. Would be nice if they work.
It’s trial and error. I had some of the Remington htp 180g that cycled pretty well and shoots fireballs but I found the 240+ grain Underwood works a little better

Just got back from the rang to test out the Deagle with its new springs. The 50AE bbl worked perfectly with no hiccups at all. The new extractor springs worked great as the spent casings were ejecting over my head now instead of into my face.

Learned a lot though this time when shooting the 44 Mag bbl. I still had some issues with it going into battery after a shot. After paying close attention I noticed it happening when I cupped the mag with one hand or I didn’t have the strongest hold on the gun. If I had a really stiff hold on the gun and limited the recoil it functioned without issue. If the recoil got away from me a little and had some muzzle flip it wouldn’t fully go into battery. It’s a lot to pay attention to when shooting this caliber. But still fun.

I was shooting both Winchester and Fiochi 240gr JHP ammo. The Winchester was definitely the hotter of the two rounds.

Just got back from the rang to test out the Deagle with its new springs. The 50AE bbl worked perfectly with no hiccups at all. The new extractor springs worked great as the spent casings were ejecting over my head now instead of into my face.

Learned a lot though this time when shooting the 44 Mag bbl. I still had some issues with it going into battery after a shot. After paying close attention I noticed it happening when I cupped the mag with one hand or I didn’t have the strongest hold on the gun. If I had a really stiff hold on the gun and limited the recoil it functioned without issue. If the recoil got away from me a little and had some muzzle flip it wouldn’t fully go into battery. It’s a lot to pay attention to when shooting this caliber. But still fun.

I was shooting both Winchester and Fiochi 240gr JHP ammo. The Winchester was definitely the hotter of the two rounds.
Thanks for the range report. I’ll definitely keep this in mind when I get my DE next week.

I bought a Desert Eagle in .44 mag when they first became available.(IMI). I just had to have one and being young and dumb spent a little over $500.00 for it NIB. I shot 42 rounds through it and totally hated it. The trigger sucks and never could get used to it. I even tried it as a carry gun in the woods but in a belt holster my pants kept falling down. Now it is a safe queen to be cleaned 2x's a year. Movies sold me on two guns a S&W Model 29 and the Desert Eagle and has buyers remorse for both. Don't get me wrong the Desert Eagle is a very well made hunk of steel and is interesting, the Smith on the other hand was not made for .44 mag...I could not keep the screws tight in it. If you want a .44 mag look at Ruger. I have a three screw Super Blackhawk (no conversion) and it has been a very accurate gun with a beautiful trigger on it.

I bought a Desert Eagle in .44 mag when they first became available.(IMI). I just had to have one and being young and dumb spent a little over $500.00 for it NIB. I shot 42 rounds through it and totally hated it. The trigger sucks and never could get used to it. I even tried it as a carry gun in the woods but in a belt holster my pants kept falling down. Now it is a safe queen to be cleaned 2x's a year. Movies sold me on two guns a S&W Model 29 and the Desert Eagle and has buyers remorse for both. Don't get me wrong the Desert Eagle is a very well made hunk of steel and is interesting, the Smith on the other hand was not made for .44 mag...I could not keep the screws tight in it. If you want a .44 mag look at Ruger. I have a three screw Super Blackhawk (no conversion) and it has been a very accurate gun with a beautiful trigger on it.
Well hopefully I won't hate it [laugh]
I like big shiny stainless guns so I'm hoping this will fit the bill...

Well I got reeled back in and won a GB auction for a chrome DE 44 magnum earlier tonight....😬 Used but comes with 3 mags and box.
Fingers crossed it functions okay. Also hoping the slots on the barrel will work with my primary arms red dot.
View attachment 454911
View attachment 454912
This is it. We need to do a NES Magnum Research get together / shoot.

You probably have the one made in Israel. They are not manufactured in 'Merica and I think MR is doing a great job with their guns.

Good to know. Have you needed to change out springs yet?
I figured since the one I bought is used and it's an older model, it might be worth having a spring kit on hand. So I ordered a spring kit from midway which will be here on wednesday.
Just in case the recoil springs or mag springs need to be replaced. The pawn shop that I bought it from said it's in excellent condition and doesn't appear to be fired much. But you never know.

When I bought mine it was like new, I still bought a rebuild kit just because of being used and age, cheap insurance.

I’ve shot ppu hollow points and multiple different brands of fmj’s and no failures. Runs like a top

pZQQg98.jpg

SdgPbI5.jpg
Welcome to the 929 club.
Shoot .358 bullets.

You probably have the one made in Israel. They are not manufactured in 'Merica and I think MR is doing a great job with their guns.
Mine is made in Israel too. Hopefully it’s good. Some people say the Israeli made ones are better some say the opposite.

When I bought mine it was like new, I still bought a rebuild kit just because of being used and age, cheap insurance.

I’ve shot ppu hollow points and multiple different brands of fmj’s and no failures. Runs like a top
That’s great to hear. I hope mine likes my reloads. I can’t wait to see the fireball with my 180 gr reloads with 30+ gr of H110 powder🤣

Welcome to the 929 club.
Shoot .358 bullets.

Soooooooo I am going to take it apart tonight but the 929 was just barely making a light primer strike on every round I tried shooting nothing would actually fire.

reading up sounds like I need to check the strain screw to see if it backed out. Didnt have the tools with me at the range but will look again tonight. Hoping thats it!

Otherwise was a fun trip! Only brought out a couple handguns today but was still a good time!

VhWjZVw.jpg

Soooooooo I am going to take it apart tonight but the 929 was just barely making a light primer strike on every round I tried shooting nothing would actually fire.

reading up sounds like I need to check the strain screw to see if it backed out. Didnt have the tools with me at the range but will look again tonight. Hoping thats it!

Otherwise was a fun trip! Only brought out a couple handguns today but was still a good time!

VhWjZVw.jpg
99% chance it came lose from factory. But it has to be very lose. I unscrew mine 1 and a quarter turns. If I use factory ammo, it sets off 7 out of 8. With my reloads, 8 out of 8.

Did you use moonclips or just load the rounds in?

If you didn't use a clip, you have to point the gun up after every shot so the rounds move back a little. The gun is not made to be shot without a clip.

Also, you can buy extended firing pins for cheap. It takes 2 minutes to replace.

99% chance it came lose from factory. But it has to be very lose. I unscrew mine 1 and a quarter turns. If I use factory ammo, it sets off 7 out of 8. With my reloads, 8 out of 8.

Did you use moonclips or just load the rounds in?

If you didn't use a clip, you have to point the gun up after every shot so the rounds move back a little. The gun is not made to be shot without a clip.

Also, you can buy extended firing pins for cheap. It takes 2 minutes to replace.

Cool appreciate the advice and yes did not use a moonclip so i will try that as well as check the screw.

If not I will have my gunsmith check it out. Its new and S&W warranty will cover just will see the downtime to get it fixed as I dont want to wait months for them to fix it.

Cool appreciate the advice and yes did not use a moonclip so i will try that as well as check the screw.

If not I will have my gunsmith check it out. Its new and S&W warranty will cover just will see the downtime to get it fixed as I dont want to wait months for them to fix it.
Its because you didn't use a moonclip. Without the moonclip, the rounds sit too far from the pin.

Greg Derr did some polishing on mine. Not expensive, 2 week turnaround (mid summer and he was very busy). He also replaced the front sight with a Dawson sight and installed a bobbed hammer.

Back
Top Bottom