• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk to me about rabbit housing

Great people with tons of info…
Brook so I came home today and found she had pulled some fur out in the bedding how soon after that if she's pregnant do they give birth

Even Attach filesif you have them neutered they destroy bedding, too.
But if you are breeding them I don't have an answer.
She didn't destroy the bedding ,,,, she pull fur off her chest and neck and has it balled up in the bedding in her hutch. I read this is what a pregnant bunny does before giving birth to the kits. I just threw a nest box together from some pallet wood and gave her a bunch of stray ,,,, I was wondering how long before she gives birth if she is pregnant.

Pulling fur is a great sign. They pull to line the nest and expose the nips…
First timers have horrible timing but usually good instincts. Don’t move anything around too much. I found that keeping track of their ‘dates’ helps to predict due dates later.

Last edited:
Something to watch for as she gets closer is a lot of first timers will have their kits in th ecorner or some will be birthed in the nest box and some out. They can’t pick up their babies so it’s on you to watch for little pink or black skin blobs(kits) on the cage floor.

Momma rabbits pay their newborn very little attention. As prey animals, they seem to ignore the nest box and only will jump into feed the newborns a few times a day. Any other thing to watch for us newborns getting dragged out by the nip when mom jumps out on the cage floor…. They will crawl to their doom…

And to answer your question… I started with 2 pure blood New Zealand’s and a California New Zealand mix stud. Those 3 spawned hundreds with only a few genetic anomalies. Line breeding works with rabbits

Pulling fur is a great sign. They pull to line the nest and expose the nips…
First timers have horrible timing but usually good instincts. Don’t move anything around too much. I found that keeping track of their ‘dates’ helps to predict due dates later.
Thanks a million for the info !!! I can't believe we rescued a pregnant doe ! It really was amazing to look in the hutch and see the fur today ,,, momma has been bringing her in at night ( until today) and the first warm day she lets us know ! I think she may be a Dutch but not really sure

Momma rabbits pay their newborn very little attention. As prey animals, they seem to ignore the nest box and only will jump into feed the newborns a few times a day. Any other thing to watch for us newborns getting dragged out by the nip when mom jumps out on the cage floor…. They will crawl to their doom…

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_133512267.jpg
    IMG_20220512_133512267.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 3
Looks like she made that corner her bathroom. Don’t put the nest box there she’ll use it as a litter box. Put a bit of straw/hay in the box and out in the cage. Put the pulled fur in the box and make a little hole/nest towards the back…she should get the idea.

Looks like she made that corner her bathroom. Don’t put the nest box there she’ll use it as a litter box. Put a bit of straw/hay in the box and out in the cage. Put the pulled fur in the box and make a little hole/nest towards the back…she should get the idea.
Still no babies ,,,, she is a bit moodier , not wanting to be held as much. I would think if nothing in a couple more days it was a false pregnancy. I do need to line the sides of the frame near her bathroom, it looks like the trough at Fenway over there when I clean it !!! Gonna put some metal up against the wood.

Back
Top Bottom