Tannerite Legal to use in Maine?

So i picked up some Tannerite in Maine and was going to use it at a friend's property because the salesman assured me it was completely legal. It looks like after some research it it legal to buy and possess but the as soon as you mix in the catalyst it is considered an explosive under Maine law and you need a Maine Blasters license to comply with state law. The Bangor daily news has some example of run ins with local authorities. Does anyone know what the exact truth is on this? Did I make a purchase of an interesting paper weight?

Well I have heard that you can't federally mix more than 50lbs from a most reliable source... youtube videos. It seems though, from actual research of news articles and my untrained review of cited laws in links from the articles, there might be an issue though with any amount in Mixed form in Maine. I am hoping someone here may have the low down. I know i could walk 50 miles into the woods to use it but I am lazy. My biggest concern is cops don't seem to be sure of the legality so when in doubt arrest. Its a lot of fun so I am sure it will be illegal soon.

Looks like once it is mixed it is an explosive and regulated by the Fire Marshall. Without permits you are breaking the law. Also looks like they are trying to change the law, but I haven't heard anything on that front.

BAR HARBOR — The exploding rifle targets known by the trade name Tannerite may be legal to buy and sell, but the minute they are prepared for use they become illegal under Maine explosives laws, state fire marshal Joe Thomas said this week.

The targets have been in the news here since police, a fire marshal and a United States Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent paid a visit to a Kitteridge Brook Road man who was disturbing neighbors with the devices last month.
The two materials, ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder, that make up the binary explosive targets, are “legal in every way,” Marshal Thomas said. Tannerite-type targets are very stable, even when catalyzed, and must be hit with a bullet from a high-powered rifle to be activated.
But as soon as the catalyst is mixed with the material, the targets are considered explosives, and are regulated as such. In Maine, a person may not use, possess or store explosives without proper permits. The state fire marshal supervises explosives under fire service laws.
Marshal Thomas supports a bill that he said is being introduced into the current Maine legislature that would exempt binary exploding targets from explosive law much in the same way that black powder has been exempted since 1999. The intent is to allow the explosive for target shooting, he said.
The popularity of the exploding targets has risen in recent years, as products have become more available, Marshal Thomas said. His office has received many calls from sporting good shop owners wondering how to handle the sale of Tannerite-type targets.
Until an exemption for the binary exploding targets is passed, the fire marshal’s office will continue to enforce the law as it is written, Marshal Thomas said.
All proposed bills for the current Maine legislature are due in by Jan. 18. A list of proposed titles will be published at that time.​

Back
Top Bottom