• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tapping my toes watching for the BBT

SKS Ray

NES Member
Its been 3 weeks since I ordered my RRA AR upper through Pete at AR15 sales. The money was taken out of my checking account for the amount quoted a day after I placed the order. I was told it'd be sometime in January and had figured 4 weeks or more because I know RRA has to make it Mass compliant and Pete said he'd have them ship it directly to me since it was a basic upper.
Now every day when I'm home at lunch and I hear the UPS truck I rush to the door hoping to see a long box addressed to me but so far nothing yet. I know its probably too soon but I'm getting anxious.
Anyone place a similar order and if so how long did it take?
I've waited longer for milsurps from that Florida company that no longer ships here but I'm really looking forward to having a complete AR and the wait is driving me nuts.[crying]

Milsurps and the AR chronicles

Well I had to do some digging but heres my old thread and its now on week #8, going on #9 since I placed my order with Rock River Arms. I called early last week and they said it was almost finished and that I should be getting it soon, probably this week.
I've labeled this thread the AR chronicles because it feels like a never ending story waiting for the order to show up. I knew it'd be a while but this is crazy. I actually dreamed about the damn thing last night, or had a nightmare I should say.
In my dream I finally got the package and when I oppened it I saw an upper much like the target/varmint models with floated barrel, fancy handguard, etc. and was happy. Then it turned crazy like most dreams do and the handguard had a goofy looking scope mount on the right side with a cheap brand name target scope attached. I went to go put the upper on and suddenly had no way of attaching it, then somehow I finally got it on the lower and not only was it very loose but trying to use the scope was impossible because it was mounted to the right like it was meant for a left handed shooter. Then the freakin' muzzle break slid off in two pieces and the whole thing started falling apart.
In my dream I remember thinking how badly I got burned, that there was no way of getting my money back, and that I would have been better off buying a few CMP M1s or even a half dozen minty milsurp rifles and should have stuck with what I know best. [crying]
Needless to say I felt almost sick when I woke up. Then of course today the UPS truck came rumbling around my neighborhood and drove right by my house.

to be continued...

I waited more than 6 months for my Mitch Rosen holster to show up... And I sold the damn pistol by then!! I sold the holster on eBay for more than I bought it for (I had a "Buy It Now" price of less, but the morons actually managed to bid above it...).

You couldn't order the upper directly from RRA? It is just an upper, I didn't think you needed an FFL for that...

I ordered a RRA upper from Pete a few months back-maybe early December. A basic 16" A2 complete. I had it in a little over two weeks? You're a better man than me, I wouldn't have the patience to be sitting in your chair right now. Good luck!

Bonz....

Well today was another let down. [sad2] Came home for lunch and saw the UPS truck parked across the street from my house. Driver waved to me as I was backing in my driveway, then he took off.
I figured for sure there'd be a big long box with the upper in it on the back porch but there was nothing. Rescheduling my dentist appt. for tomorrow now just in case. As if anyone ever really needs an excuse to put off having a tooth drilled. [laugh]

Sounds about average for RRA.

Twice when I ordered stripped lowers from them; first time it was almost 3 months before the receiver shipped. Second time was about two months.

Another time I ordered a 16" barrel and that took over two months to arrive.

I believe the main reason for the delays is that as parts come in/roll off the assembly line, building complete rifles has first priority. If they get 100 barrels in and 90 rifles on back-order, they only have 10 barrels (or complete uppers), to ship out.

But, if you think that's bad, people have been on a waiting list for over a year for FAL receivers from NODAK/SPUD/DCI. [thinking]

Edit to add: I always request a tracking number from the vendor. If they don't email me one, I call them and get one. I don't know if it makes the anxiety worse or better. I can't tell you how many times I've entered the tracking number on the UPS website, see the joyful magic words "Out For Delivery", then hit the refresh button every hour (or more often), looking for the word "Delivered". The biggest let-down is when you get the "Out For Delivery" message
and check back later and get the message "Delivery Rescheduled" [sad]

Last edited:
Instead of screwing with your schedule, why don't you call them and ask for the Tracking Number. If they "don't have it" you know it wasn't shipped . . . and if you do have it you'll know when to expect it!

I think I will call them back later today and ask if it has been shipped and if so for the tracking number. I usually do it for milsurp rifles because I know the places I order from ship within a few days after ordering.

Now your gonna make me weap

Just stumbled on this thread today after placing my order for an RRA upper from legal transfers on 3/2. Pete told me to expect 4-6 weeks for shipping because they had a high volume of orders right now. After reading this thread the thought of an 8-10 week delay has me on the verge of a breakdown. I hate being an instant gratification freak of the fast-food generation. [crying]

I'm beginning to think RRA has some pretty lousy customer service.[angry]
I tried calling a few diferent times in the past few days and told the operator I'd like to talk to someone about my order. Then I'm stuck on hold for what seems like forever listening to redneck radio with no one picking up. They don't even have a toll free number to boot.
Theres no e mail option I can find on their web site, you rarely get to talk to anyone when calling, they head out before closing time so you get an automated phone message.
When I called a while back they said the order was almost ready and I should get it soon. Rough date they gave me would have had it here last week. Now this week has passed too and still nothing.
Unless you've got 2+ months to burn, don't order from RRA. Of course being in Mass where we have to have them "modified" to be legal here also adds to the wait.[angry2]

But, if you think that's bad, people have been on a waiting list for over a year for FAL receivers from NODAK/SPUD/DCI.

I'm also on NDS' waiting list for their Yugo M90a receiver, but the difference is that they haven't charged me anything and won't until the receiver is ready to ship. I just flat out don't think it's right for a vendor to charge you up front sand then make you wait around weeks or months before you get your product. A lot of vendors that pull that little stunt have a tendency to go out of business before they ship you anything, leaving you holding the bag. Been there, done that, to the tune of $1,000 for a twin turbo kit for my Mustang Cobra that never made it past the vaporware stage.

I'd call them and tell them to either ship the damn product or refund your money.

And the saga continues...

Well today I called Rock River and got to speak to someone. After some checking I found out my order was finally shipped and was given a tracking number.
Thats the good part, heres the bad... [sad]

These are the results of my tracking number check on UPS' web site:

CHELMSFORD,
MA, US 03/15/2007 12:01 A.M. A LATE TRAIN CAUSED THIS DELAY
ADDISON,
IL, US 03/14/2007 2:43 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
ADDISON,
IL, US 03/13/2007 11:53 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MILAN,
IL, US 03/13/2007 9:15 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/13/2007 8:42 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 03/13/2007 5:19 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

I called UPS and asked if there was any other information and the woman told me the only info she had was what I could see on the web site. Worst yet is where it should say Scheduled Delivery and time, it says this:

"Your package has experienced an exception."

Of course it has, why wouldn't it after waiting all this time? :::sigh:::
I was told by the woman at UPS it hasn't been lost but I find it odd that the last time any info was given was at 12:01 AM yesterday. Anyone hear of any train wrecks? [crying] I just picture some freight train hobo using my upper as his bindle stick as he wanders in the middle of nowhere.

Probably the box broke open, the gun fell out, someone panicked and Homeland Security is now involved.

Keep an eye open for the helicopters and swat team.

If that happened at least they'll be coming for my wife and not me since its shipped in her name. It was a debit card with her name on it that I used for the order. [grin]

13 weeks later....

RRA-1.jpg
[smile]

Looks sweet! [smile] I hope mine comes a little quicker than that though, I am currently just over two weeks and counting. [frown] The thought of another eleven weeks has me contemplating drastic measures, something along the lines of another gun purchase. [devil]

Back
Top Bottom