Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

I wonder what TSUSA does for employee purchasing. Like do they get a discount and first dibs? Id assume so but not sure if they would in this market? Like I work from home and have a super flexible work schedule id pack some trucks for a discount and first dibs on ammo at this point.

The tough part is getting people over the hump of ammo in trade for a gun. Like I had someone who wanted 2 cases of 9mm ammo. Federal, 2000 rounds, worth about $1400ish in todays market maybe a little more or less. They had a TRP Operator for sale for $1400. Seems like an even deal but individual wanted 4,000 9mm for it. Not based on comparing market value just "My gun must be more valuable than ammo that once you shoot it its gone" (unless you reload but still).

Havent gotten anyone to bite yet but we shall see! Pretty guns dont mean anything if you have nothing to make them go bang!
I figure these opportunities will open up a lot more in a few months when things are still bananas.

I figure these opportunities will open up a lot more in a few months when things are still bananas.

Hopefully. I mean I get it. The TRP Operator was likely $1500+ new. The 9mm ammo at one point was as low as $.10/round with rebates. The funny thing is im sure the guy would have sold his TRP for say $1300 and bought my ammo for $1400 LOL. Oh well.

The longer this goes on, I'm feeling like the tower controller in Airplane. I picked the wrong week to think about starting to reload ammo. Wrong week for just about anything firearms related.

Sometimes there are those of us who prepare ahead of time, too.

Like my biggest f***up in early 2020 was not buying a bunch of .300 Blackout. I had no .300 gun, but had a rumination in my brain of building one. I wanted to build a gun in .300, but that's pretty untenable with the ammo situation now.

What was it going for before this bullshit started? I bought ~2k rounds of the stuff over the summer (with no gun) at stupid summer prices, with plans to buy an upper just as soon as I got a stamp for one of my lowers. In the meantime I was pulled in by other wildly expensive gun projects so that got backburnered.

The other wishful thinking project I started stockpiling stuff for over the summer was reloading. Backordered a nice press, some dies, tools, and minimal components. By the time the backordered stuff came in my ADHD had driven me on to other stuff so it's all sitting in boxes still, though I sold off the brass and bullets.

Hopefully. I mean I get it. The TRP Operator was likely $1500+ new. The 9mm ammo at one point was as low as $.10/round with rebates. The funny thing is im sure the guy would have sold his TRP for say $1300 and bought my ammo for $1400 LOL. Oh well.

Not everyone has reasonable expectations when it comes to trades but there are enough that it makes it worthwhile. It has become a little easier since just about everything is selling for around the same CPR too. Early on if you were trading .223/5.56 for 9 you made out well.

What was it going for before this bullshit started? I bought ~2k rounds of the stuff over the summer (with no gun) at stupid summer prices, with plans to buy an upper just as soon as I got a stamp for one of my lowers. In the meantime I was pulled in by other wildly expensive gun projects so that got backburnered.

The other wishful thinking project I started stockpiling stuff for over the summer was reloading. Backordered a nice press, some dies, tools, and minimal components. By the time the backordered stuff came in my ADHD had driven me on to other stuff so it's all sitting in boxes still, though I sold off the brass and bullets.

Depending on the brand brass 300 I was getting for around $.45/round.

I thought I was bad, boxes show up, oh yeah, I ordered this. But I hadn't moved onto another project.

I thought I was bad, boxes show up, oh yeah, I ordered this. But I hadn't moved onto another project.

In my defense some of the backorders were 3+ months. I backordered a forster press from 2 or 3 different places. Whichever one just shipped it to me when it came in (vs. calling first to make sure I still wanted it, i.e. brownells) is the one I ended up buying it from. [laugh] Same with dies. I have 2 sets of 300blk dies in my house right now but have already sold off the brass and bullets. I can float the expense but don't have the storage, or the time to resell everything.

I seem to remember a price of like $280 for 500 round loaf of the stuff at Shooters Outpost for supersonic. I forget what brand it was.

The tough part is getting people over the hump of ammo in trade for a gun. Like I had someone who wanted 2 cases of 9mm ammo. Federal, 2000 rounds, worth about $1400ish in todays market maybe a little more or less. They had a TRP Operator for sale for $1400. Seems like an even deal but individual wanted 4,000 9mm for it. Not based on comparing market value just "My gun must be more valuable than ammo that once you shoot it its gone" (unless you reload but still).

Havent gotten anyone to bite yet but we shall see! Pretty guns dont mean anything if you have nothing to make them go bang!

This is difficult because its based off perception vs reality. There is a wide corridor of smoke there. Trading ammo for guns is likely painful exercise.

People don't like to think about how much it costs to feed these things, they're happy to just get the gun in their hand and worry about the ammo later/never.

Well, I’m quite glad e-CMP was brought to my attention (thanks to you all!) <SNIP>. Also I have more than the 2000 round limit ordered and all of it is “processing” “prepaid”.
The website will let you order more than 2,000 rounds, but CMP won't ship it. Customer service called me to ask which orders I wanted to keep.

This is difficult because its based off perception vs reality. There is a wide corridor of smoke there. Trading ammo for guns is likely painful exercise.
I personally wouldn’t do such a thing. When I bought my first pistol the first thing I did was step 2 in that purchase which costs more than the gun x multiples.

I personally wouldn’t do such a thing. When I bought my first pistol the first thing I did was step 2 in that purchase which costs more than the gun x multiples.

Right my point is lets say you need ammo and want to sell a gun regardless.

If the gun is worth $700 and you need 9mm and I have 1000 rounds valued at $700. You wouldn't trade? Instead wait to sell the gun for $700 then hand me $700 for the ammo?

My point is its like value for like value. I get the optics and its fine but in the end you are selling the gun for $700 then buying the ammo for $700 so how does it differ from a trade is all?

I wonder what TSUSA does for employee purchasing. Like do they get a discount and first dibs? Id assume so but not sure if they would in this market? Like I work from home and have a super flexible work schedule id pack some trucks for a discount and first dibs on ammo at this point.
I honestly hope they have an employee purchase plan in place, obviously put up some guidelines so that they dont turn into the gunbroker flippers, but they deserve to get something for what I assume has been a really busy time for them

People don't like to think about how much it costs to feed these things, they're happy to just get the gun in their hand and worry about the ammo later/never.

There are a ton of people who buy shitloads of guns but never actually shoot them. I won't pretend to understand this phenomenon, but whatever. I mean I know a bunch of g uys who bought guns and might not shoot them for months, that's different, thats just because people are friggan busy these days, I get that. But I know other people who buy guns, keep it around for awhile, then NEVER shoot the thing, and trade it for something else. And they do it over and over and over again. WTF? [laugh]

I kinda get that if they were a collector of old stuff (like if you have 30 SKSes, after awhile theres not going to be much difference in running them etc ) but for most other stuff its
bizarre.

Right my point is lets say you need ammo and want to sell a gun regardless.

If the gun is worth $700 and you need 9mm and I have 1000 rounds valued at $700. You wouldn't trade? Instead wait to sell the gun for $700 then hand me $700 for the ammo?

My point is its like value for like value. I get the optics and its fine but in the end you are selling the gun for $700 then buying the ammo for $700 so how does it differ from a trade is all?
I guess it’s a matter of which stores value better but I do get your point.

...waiting for a bunch of pissed off Prime members to get fed up with having their carts purged 5 seconds after the ammo drops and filing a class action...

Not sure if serious, the reality is you're probably getting there minutes after it drops, not 5 seconds.... unless you're also using a script, too.

Not exactly a sound lawsuit btw, what are they going to do, be liable for your $100? I'm sure if you complained loudly enough you'd get your $100 back.

Actually I dont even use a script and I have had people text me links of this or that (9mm, or 223, 556 etc) where I could have easily grabbed some, and the stock lasted for several minutes at least.... in one case I think some of the 9mm lasted for like a good 10-15 minutes. Granted that was pre inauguration, but still...

Does TSUSA get the 50 cal ammo cans in stock somewhat regularly? I was thinking about buying a couple more but noticed they're OOS.

Back
Top Bottom