• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

So I guess I'm the kind of guy who buys ammo on the tax free holiday just to save a couple of bucks. I don't know whether to be happy with myself or disgusted? Small case of .308, merely a flesh wound. TS USA, get it while you can.
Damn, I ordered ammo today, didn't even think about the tax holiday. LOL.

I shot a 250 rounds this weekend. No problems at all.
I shot 200 of the XF white box stuff.....GTG.

Ran 50 rounds of that Turan shit and that was fine as well, but Ill be running more this week. I only have 250 rounds of that stuff anyway.

All of these run way better than that steel winchester USA forged plain box shit. That stuff is aweful. Never again.....

Last edited:
Please school me, because I thought the Winchester Red Box (USA Ready) was brass cased and the khaki (USA forged) was their steel cased "value" line.
Sorry...you are correct.....the plain carboard boxed USA forged shit is absolute ass. Ive never shot the Red box stuff.

Broken /Split cases jamming up shit. Dirty, hands get filthy when you load it with some sort of oxidation from the steel.

Even my Canik had issues with it, which is saying something. I'm just trying to burn thru a box at a range session because it will jam up at least once every mag.

As I'm gearing up to do some 6.5 Creedmoor shooting, ended up picking some up in the 1.20 per. Surprisingly TS was on the cheap side, even at that, still close to 2x what you could find it for pre shortage.

I haven't been paying attention as this isn't a caliber I stocked. Hopefully it just recently became readily available, which it was - there were choices, and the price will come down. Would be nice to pay < buck a shot.

The issue with the USA forged Winchester stuff is that it's uncoated and rough Steel casings. Does not feed well out of polymer wall magazines like Magpul nor does it load or extract as smoothly out of the chamber. Mostly every other steel case ammunition is polymer coated or lacquered which alleviates much of the aforementioned problems.

Very dirty to touch as it has a sort of chalky coating on it. I'm not aware of any other ammunition that is like this.

I have used Winchester brass 9 mm and 223/556 with no issues whatsoever as far as using it for its intended purpose, which is range fodder/ practice ammo.

I've shot about 500 rounds of the XF white box stuff, no problem's there either. The only reason I ordered some Igman was it is allegedly a little hotter, but I didn't notice any difference. I'll keep going with that odd euro stuff until I have problems, if I ever do.
I shot 200 of the XF white box stuff.....GTG.

Ran 50 rounds of that Turan shit and that was fine as well, but Ill be running more this week. I only have 250 rounds of that stuff anyway.

All of these run way better than that steel winchester USA forged plain box shit. That stuff is aweful. Never again.....

Back
Top Bottom