• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

test firing a "for sale" gun

Should be thankful to even get to run one mag through it. Test firing a purchase should be conditional. Like it's already considered bought at that point and the money is in your hands but the buyer gets a chance to back out if it runs like shit with that mag.

Very strange. I've never test fired a gun before a purchase.
I have tried other peoples guns at the range before, which helped me make up my mind if I liked that style/brand etc.. before making a purchase, but that's about it. And that was usually a "wanna try it out" suggestion by the owner after asking some questions about whatever he had. But to straight up ask to test fire beforehand is a bit odd and scary.
The old man that used to live in the neighborhood did himself in that way. He asked one of our other neighbors who was selling a shotgun to test fire it out in the high tension lines at the end of the road (lots of people used to shoot back there long ago). Neighbor handed the shotgun to the old man, took a few steps, shoved the barrel in his mouth and that was it.

I wouldn’t expect to test fire a gun either, but I think it’s a reasonable ask.

IF it’s an elderly or questionable gun. And IF it’s no more than a mag, and IF it’s clear to everyone that the buyer WILL buy the gun after the test, with no more price adjustment.

Some guns, like a FAL with a Hesse receiver, I’d be surprised if the buyer did NOT want to test.

I had a dude ask to open a sealed case of ammo to look inside and make sure. At the time I thought it was reasonable but I wouldn’t do it again.
Now that you mention it, so did I. Box was sealed. Then he looked at the ammo (Federal U.S. mil-surp) in sealed plastic bags. He said "That's remanufactured." due to the annealing around the case necks and backed out of the deal. Won't bother again. Never asked to test, or had someone ask to test, a used firearm. Should have, but didn't. You are being reasonable.

You are not in the wrong, OP. He is being unreasonable.

He’d probably back out at the end, anyway.

This. Exactly this.

I have bought several used guns from members and test firing it has never even crosses my mind.

Maybe I am naive it every single interaction I have had with members on this forum has been great.

Bob

You supply the ammo and he pays cash. Who is to say he would not put some polished reloads in a factory box? Goose rules would be in play as well.

You are out of your gourd if you go along with this.

Anyone like him who is so nutty - I would NEVER be responsible for at my club.

Here is something interesting - I've always liked Glock 9mm's.

The first time I fired a 40 I hated it.

I would have regretted buying a 40.

I never did but it's a related story.

PLEASE - what is this amazing gun that must be shot first?

Just for the lulz, what are you selling?

i have a couple of handguns for sale. i met a prospective buyer at my range and he wants to shoot the one he's interested in. i have no problem with this but i told him he's to buy and bring with him factory ammo to shoot and any reloads he shows up with are not permitted anywhere near my gun. he gets pissy, wants me to supply the ammo. no f***ing way, he wants to shoot, he's to pick up the ammo. he shows up with a 250 count box and wants to pound all of them through the gun. i balk...again no f***ing way. it's a semi auto, i think 2 mags worth are enough to see if the thing functions. am i in the wrong for setting these parameters. in all my years active in shooting, i've never asked to shoot a gun i was contemplating buying and no one else has ever asked to shoot a gun i had up for sale. i certainly would never refuse to let someone try before he buys but to park their ass down and settle into a 45 minute range session...no way. what do you all think, am i the bad guy here?
Sounds kike he wanted a free range session

I wanted to purrhase a JM625 and one of nicest guys on the board invited me to his club and let me put some of his ammo through it. I loved the silky smoothe trigger and picked one up after I left his club.
Nowadays, I would not let anyone I do not trust with my life try one of my guns.

ETA: This is purely hypothetical as I do not own any firearms.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, so did I. Box was sealed. Then he looked at the ammo (Federal U.S. mil-surp) in sealed plastic bags. He said "That's remanufactured." due to the annealing around the case necks and backed out of the deal. Won't bother again. Never asked to test, or had someone ask to test, a used firearm. Should have, but didn't. You are being reasonable.
That buyer was an idiot. Bulk ammo comes like that sometimes.

i assume you meant you "wouldn't" let him? i dunno, that kinda looks like i'm hiding something, no? i wouldn't be that hard ass...or would i? hahaha
Think about all the suicide retards at pay to play gun ranges…this a-hole could just as easily try to take you with him! f*** that.

first, it was no one from nes, it's not listed here. he may be a member though but we never talked about it. he shot 2 mags and had to go home "and think about it." so no, he didn't buy it.

i'm laughing, it's some of the same people who scream "out them" when someone posts about a rouge shop now calling to know what the gun is. you are a curious bunch...stay curious a bit longer. [pot]

first, it was no one from nes, it's not listed here. he may be a member though but we never talked about it. he shot 2 mags and had to go home "and think about it." so no, he didn't buy it.

i'm laughing, it's some of the same people who scream "out them" when someone posts about a rouge shop now calling to know what the gun is. you are a curious bunch...stay curious a bit longer. [pot]
Probably a Seecamp .32 or a Cobra Arms .380 Lol

Back
Top Bottom