• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas man uses Apple AirTag to track down person who stole his truck, then kills him

“If you are to get your vehicle stolen, please do not take matters into your own hands like this," Soliz said. "It's never safe as you can see by this incident."

suggested edit-

“Please do not steal vehicles like this," Soliz said. "It's never safe as you can see by this incident."

Great. Now Air Tags will be banned by that new RESTRICT act and we won't be able to use the same technique should one of our trucks be stolen.

"Officials are determining if the suspect will be charged in the fatal shooting."

Why is this a question, especially in Texas?

I was watching an interview with a sheriff from a rural eastern Oregon county. He described how he has responded to calls at 100 mph and it took him an hour to get there. He said that the situation will be over by the time he gets there and that hopefully the right person will have prevailed. He described how people in his county need to be able to defend themselves and that he expects them to do so.

I was watching an interview with a sheriff from a rural eastern Oregon county. He described how he has responded to calls at 100 mph and it took him an hour to get there. He said that the situation will be over by the time he gets there and that hopefully the right person will have prevailed. He described how people in his county need to be able to defend themselves and that he expects them to do so.
I remember reading an article years ago, probably 10+ years that said that Oregon had something like under 10 state troopers on duty for the entire state at night. I guess them having insane staffing has been a problem for a long time.

I remember reading an article years ago, probably 10+ years that said that Oregon had something like under 10 state troopers on duty for the entire state at night. I guess them having insane staffing has been a problem for a long time.
The same county described above has under 4,000 residents. Eastern Oregon is a very large, very rural place. In comparison, here in little Wayland I think we have around 14,000 residents and the two on duty cruisers at night can get anywhere in town in about 5 minutes.

The issue is more about rural than staffing.

The same county described above has under 4,000 residents. Eastern Oregon is a very large, very rural place. In comparison, here in little Wayland I think we have around 14,000 residents and the two on duty cruisers at night can get anywhere in town in about 5 minutes.

The issue is more about rural than staffing.
I'll be amazed if anythings done about it.

Insurance is useless. So if someone stole my truck that has been meticulously maintained by me for the last 175,000 miles you think they will make me "whole" by giving me a check to go buy another 200k mile truck with questionable history?. My running vehicles are worth more to me than what kbb or the insurance company says. I have taken many cars well past their life expectancy. I probably would have done the same as the guy in Texas. If I was in Texas. Here, I'd probably be bleeding from the ass courtesy of Massachusetts and mapfre insurance.

And it's probably been cut in half with the defund the police movement there. So down to five.

Great. Now Air Tags will be banned by that new RESTRICT act and we won't be able to use the same technique should one of our trucks be stolen.

"Officials are determining if the suspect will be charged in the fatal shooting."

Why is this a question, especially in Texas?
The questions are....
1) Perp's race
2) Perp's gender identity
3) How long this stays in the news cycle

Nothing they really can do. With only 4,000 residents, it’s not like you can support 10 deputies on duty — the tax base just isn’t that big.

Well, I think the money is there on a federal level. It's just spent on BS instead.

Well, I think the money is there on a federal level. It's just spent on BS instead.
There isn’t enough federal money to support that many deputies in a small jurisdiction.

In Wayland, with a population of 14,000, there are two cars overnight — the north cruiser and the south cruiser.

In a large county like that one in OR, if there are two cruisers at night that is three times the per capita staffing level as Wayland, and the closest deputy might still be 100 miles away. There is simply no way you can staff it to get even a 15 minute response time.

The same is true in rural states across the west. You need to stop thinking about this from an eastern suburban mindset. Things that work here can’t work in the rural west. Heck, in rural Alaska there are many communities with no law enforcement — at best, the AK state troopers fly in the following day.

Back
Top Bottom