• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas man uses Apple AirTag to track down person who stole his truck, then kills him

The same is true in rural states across the west. You need to stop thinking about this from an eastern suburban mindset. Things that work here can’t work in the rural west. Heck, in rural Alaska there are many communities with no law enforcement — at best, the AK state troopers fly in the following day.
The other problem is that those rural counties are held hostage by the retardation that comes out of the urban population centers. So because Portland doesn't like guns or self defense, those rural counties won't get either too.

On the one hand, especially considering the venue, I find it appropriate....horse, vehicle, I see the correlation.

On the other hand, capital punishment for a property crime is a troubling thought.

The thief ended up dead because he decided to get in a gun fight when the rightful owner came to reclaim the stolen property.

Honestly you need a few incidents like this. Gets the word out to all the undesirables to at least think a little bit before deciding you're going to rip somebody off. Maybe your life is worth more than a few $ from selling hot parts off a stolen vehicle.

Hopefully. If that happened in Mass, I wonder what the outcome would be.
Is the victim the guy that shot the truck thief? Hopefully the law is not abused to imprison him.

I'm pretty sure that Texas is the only state in the U.S. which permits use of deadly force to recover property (Sections 9.41 and 9.42 of the Penal Code) . So the outcome in Massachusetts and elsewhere would depend on a self-defense claim. In Texas, it may depend on the interpretation of wiggle words like "fresh pursuit" and "fleeing immediately." At a guess, not too many DA's will see a political advantage in prosecuting this case, and even if they did, it'll be hard to find a Texas jury that would convict.

Last edited:
The same county described above has under 4,000 residents. Eastern Oregon is a very large, very rural place. In comparison, here in little Wayland I think we have around 14,000 residents and the two on duty cruisers at night can get anywhere in town in about 5 minutes.

The issue is more about rural than staffing.

if a thief gets shot in rural America, and there's no one around to hear it, did a crime really occur?

that would be the states position, which I would nullify as a juror.
That fact that you hold an LTC (which would almost certainly be asked about in voir dire) would more than likely prevent you from being selected for such a case.

Depending on the judge, the prosecution might even be able to have any LTC holder disqualified from the jury for cause without using one of the limited number of peremptory challenges.

Last edited:
AirTag sales will surge this month. Maybe, just maybe, If thugs will keep stealing vehicles from the Dirty Harry or DeathWish guys, we could see a real decline in these kind of vehicle crimes.
I've seen other types of vehicle trackers on the market that cost a bit more, but might be more accurate.
There have been TV shows and reports of Entrapment "cars" used by police to capture car thieves. They might become a information source for people to create their own Entrapment car, using things like a remote engine disable.

if a thief gets shot in rural America, and there's no one around to hear it, did a crime really occur?
There's a location in the Midwest where supposedly it's not illegal to kill someone. Something about jurisdictions missing this one little region.

Some websites claim it's not true but I chose to believe it is!

There's a location in the Midwest where supposedly it's not illegal to kill someone. Something about jurisdictions missing this one little region.

Some websites claim it's not true but I chose to believe it is!
1. The argument is not that is is "not illegal" but "not prosecutable"

2. The government can be counted on to ignore the constitution in this case even if the argument is absolutely solid.

Last edited:
The other problem is that those rural counties are held hostage by the retardation that comes out of the urban population centers. So because Portland doesn't like guns or self defense, those rural counties won't get either too.
Thar is what the entire news series was about.

In southern and western states I've been in, there is far more inter agency cooperation than we see here. That's because of what you note.

It used to be like that in NH, but I haven't lived there since the mid 1970s so I don't know it it still is.

There isn’t enough federal money to support that many deputies in a small jurisdiction.

In Wayland, with a population of 14,000, there are two cars overnight — the north cruiser and the south cruiser.

In a large county like that one in OR, if there are two cruisers at night that is three times the per capita staffing level as Wayland, and the closest deputy might still be 100 miles away. There is simply no way you can staff it to get even a 15 minute response time.

The same is true in rural states across the west. You need to stop thinking about this from an eastern suburban mindset. Things that work here can’t work in the rural west. Heck, in rural Alaska there are many communities with no law enforcement — at best, the AK state troopers fly in the following day.

Last edited:
The thief ended up dead because he decided to get in a gun fight when the rightful owner came to reclaim the stolen property.

Honestly you need a few incidents like this. Gets the word out to all the undesirables to at least think a little bit before deciding you're going to rip somebody off. Maybe your life is worth more than a few $ from selling hot parts off a stolen vehicle.
While I agree, to a point, if we take this stance, then when a cop kills a "perp" becomes acceptable, even when the "perp" did something minor.

It's a slippery slope, in many directions.

But yes...part of the problem is that many more crimes are being given a pass.

That fact that you hold an LTC (which would almost certainly be asked about in voir dire) would more than likely prevent you from being selected for such a case.

Depending on the judge, the prosecution might even be able to have any LTC holder disqualified from the jury for cause without using one of the limited number of peremptory challenges.

what if I wear a rainbow shirt or an antifa shirt?

While I agree, to a point, if we take this stance, then when a cop kills a "perp" becomes acceptable, even when the "perp" did something minor.

It's a slippery slope, in many directions.

But yes...part of the problem is that many more crimes are being given a pass.
when people lose faith in institutions or that police will enforce fairness, you get this. private citizens don't have to do that force pyramid thing.

the ability to shape the "jury of peers" for a desired outcome for the state is such bullshit

what if I wear a rainbow shirt or an antifa shirt?
This could resemble the original Star Trek episode where Spoke put the computer into an endless loop by asking it to calculate the value of Pi to the last digit.

the ability to shape the "jury of peers" for a desired outcome for the state is such bullshit
I don't remember who, but someone once said "Voir Dire is French for jury stacking"

Back
Top Bottom