The Brady's are coming to Boston!

Join Us at the State House in Boston
Help Governor Patrick Stop Illegal Gun Trafficking!

Dear Massachusetts StoptheNRA Member,

Important legislation sponsored by Governor Deval Patrick (HB 3978) to stop bulk purchases of handguns that fuel the illegal gun market will be heard this week in the Joint Judiciary Committee of the Massachusetts’ legislature. We need your help to pass this bill. Come and help us show support for Governor Patrick and his legislation. Show the Judiciary Committee that we’re fed up with the violence caused with illegal guns and we’re ready to take action! Here are the details:

Show Your Support for the Governor's Legislation to Reduce Gun Trafficking

Joint Committee on the Judiciary Hearing
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Boston, Massachusetts
at the State Capitol
1 p.m., Room A-1

Come early to make our presence known in the hearing room, hallways and corridors of the State House.

Click here ([email protected]) to contact us if you are interested in attending
the hearing or need more information.

Together we can make a difference!

Governor Deval Patrick is one of a growing number of Governors to take a strong position against illegal guns and he needs our support. We have a unique opportunity to make a difference and it is up to all of us to make our presence known at the committee hearing.

Click here to forward this email to friends, family and colleagues in Massachusetts.

Thank you for your on-going commitment to gun violence prevention!

Sincerely,
Your Friends at StoptheNRA.com

If this e-mail was forwarded to you,
click here to sign up for your own StoptheNRA alerts.

Click here to donate to our work to Stop the NRA.

You can also mail a check to:
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
1225 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005

Powered by Convio

Click here to update your e-mail preferences.

Something is screwy here.

Bills originating in the House have an "H" prefix... not "HB".

House bill 3978 = ...

Presented by: Representative John W. Scibak

Joint petition of John W. Scibak and Michael R. Knapik (by vote of the town) that the town of Easthampton be authorized to issue an additional license for the sale of alcoholic beverages to be drunk on the premises of the "Old Memorial Hall".

http://www.mass.gov/legis/185history/h03978.htm

There's no committee hearing listed for 06/21/07 with that bill number... nor are there any Judiciary committee hearings listed for that day..

http://www.mass.gov/legis/comm/dljun21.htm

there is one bill originating in the House that relates to firearms trafficking...

H 1570

AN ACT TO PREVENT BULK PURCHASING AND ILLEGAL TRAFFICKING OF
FIREARMS.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/185/ht01pdf/ht01570.pdf

There is House, No. 3991 (submitted by Patrick), but no text is available...

A message from His Excellency the Governor recommending legislation relative to reducing gun violence.
04/27/07 H Read; and referred to the committee on The Judiciary -HJ 330
04/30/07 S Senate concurred -SJ 190

There's also nothing listed on GOALs website.

FWIW... The MA General Court website is never up to date. How accurate the info that I posted is is anyones guess.

Either the Bradys got their wires crossed, or the antis are pushing this before the committe without giving our side very much time to mobilize.

Not that it really matters... the Judiciary committee will give any "firearms trafficking" bill the green light no matter who shows up. [angry]

I'll show up with a sign.

SUPPORT MA GUN LAWS!
SELF DEFENSE IS FOR THE RICH!

MORE GUN CONTROL!
RAPISTS' RIGHTS > WOMEN'S RIGHTS!

STOP THE NRA!
THEY RESPECT THE CONSTITUTION!

LOCK UP LICENSED GUN OWNERS!
LET THE GANGBANGERS WALK!

I SUPPORT DEVAL!
BLACK FOLK DON'T DESERVE RIGHTS!

I'm sorry, but whenever I hear about Brady this always comes to mind...Is it just me?

Brady_Bunch_2.jpg

/Probably been done before
//Too obscure?

I do hope GOAL and some pro-gun people will be there to counter that moron in the State House.

I imagine they would need to file a permit.

... the Judiciary committee will give any "firearms trafficking" bill the green light no matter who shows up. [angry]

How many gun owners are in MA now?

I think we need to.

... we are not going down quietly.

We'll see.

I remember a GOAL rally in I think it was Hudson way back when. Also at the State House. I'd say it is about time again.

From what I've seen of Massachusetts gun owners they are a sorry lot. They seem to always let GOAL do it and never get out in the numbers that would leave a lasting impression on the politicians in Boston.

If every Mass. gun owner acted instead of just talking then perhaps they might see some positive changes regarding your arcane gun laws. The politicians have a perception that Mass gun owners can be run over without barely a whimper. Is it any wonder that you have to own guns like a French underground? It is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, so get moving.

Many of us also subscribe to the stopthenra.com website and would have received such a notice. I did not.

In fact, I was on the phone with the Joint Judiciary Committee last week and they told me hearings on this bill and other firearm, gun, and gang bills would go to hearing in September.

I’ll call again tomorrow, but I don’t think this is real.

I do agree though that it's time to stop hiding behind your membership cards (club, GOAL and NRA) and become an activist. Remember, the squeeky wheel get's the grease.

Many of us also subscribe to the stopthenra.com website and would have received such a notice. I did not.

In fact, I was on the phone with the Joint Judiciary Committee last week and they told me hearings on this bill and other firearm, gun, and gang bills would go to hearing in September.

I’ll call again tomorrow, but I don’t think this is real.

I do agree though that it's time to stop hiding behind your membership cards (club, GOAL and NRA) and become an activist. Remember, the squeeky wheel get's the grease.
Stopthenra.com does not seem to have a link to the notice, which does make one wonder about the message's legitimacy. But, comparing linked-to pages from the Brady Campaign, stopthenra.com and that from the email, it doesn't appear to be a spoof, either. To see what the email looks like, the following link is provided in the anchor "if this email does not display correctly,...." Anyone interested may want to cut-n-paste: http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/Me...id=22381&JServSessionIdr010=hki0x4tfs2.app24a

Stopthenra.com does not seem to have a link to the notice, which does make one wonder about the message's legitimacy. But, comparing linked-to pages from the Brady Campaign, stopthenra.com and that from the email, it doesn't appear to be a spoof, either. To see what the email looks like, the following link is provided in the anchor "if this email does not display correctly,...." Anyone interested may want to cut-n-paste: http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/Me...id=22381&JServSessionIdr010=hki0x4tfs2.app24a

It's legit, they just have the bill number wrong (it is H 3991... not HB 3978).

Judiciary Committee to Hold Hearing on Thursday

Gun Owners' Action League was informed on Tuesday afternoon that the Joint Committee on the Judiciary is going to hold a public hearing on Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 1:00 pm in room A-1. There are several bills of interest that will be heard, including the Governor's H3991. (There is currently no online version of this bill available so we are forced to use what was in the original press release.)

GOAL urges all our members to immediately contact their legislators and ask them to oppose the Governor's H3991. It is very important to tell your legislators that the Governor has already stated that he has no evidence to support restricting lawful gun owners. (To see GOAL's report on this, click here.)

We do ask that everyone contacting their legislators ask them to support GOAL's bill H1694 "The Deceptive Weapons Device Bill".

To find out how to contact your legislator go to: http://www.mass.gov/legis/citytown.htm

Sounds like someone (Patrick? The Bradys?), pulled a few strings to rush this bill before the committee. Sneaky bastards! [angry]

GOAL just confirmed they hearing is 6/21!

According to Nancy at GOAL this hearing is tomorrow. I'm a very ticked off that I cannot make it and am even more agravated at the Committee Staff for the misinformation last week.

According to Nancy at GOAL this hearing is tomorrow. I'm a very ticked off that I cannot make it and am even more agravated at the Committee Staff for the misinformation last week.

I'd like to know why GOAL was notified Tuesday afternoon when the email the OP received from StopTheNRA was on Monday.

I'd like to know why GOAL was notified Tuesday afternoon when the email the OP received from StopTheNRA was on Monday.

The Gov't has their priorities! [rolleyes]

Why should you be surprised.

The hearing is just to stir the media sensation for more gun control.

Anyone who knows the rules for public testimony knows that the hearing is ONLY supposed to be addressing the content of the bill being heard. Since it is NOT in print yet, you can guess how important any anti-bill testimony will be.

It's a pure and simple media event for the bleeding hearts to pour out their souls about their poor little gang-bangers who were killed by evil guns . . . just as they were turning their life around . . . film at 11! [puke2]

I do agree though that it's time to stop hiding behind your membership cards (club, GOAL and NRA) and become an activist.

ronbok, I'm curious as to your position on gun licensing.

Do you believe that a MA resident should be required to obtain a gun license in order to purchase and possess a firearm?

Same question with regard to concealed carry.

So......

What was the outcome of this hearing anyhow? Anyone know? Anyone go? Is there a GOAL comment? Thanks for the heads up despite the short notice.

Back
Top Bottom