• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The future Maine VS NH

Which state is more averse to future infringement?

• Maine

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • New Hampshire

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • Just stay in Montana

Votes: 49 48.5%

• Total voters
I'm considering moving back to New England to be closer to family and to buy my "forever" house with a minimum of ten acres and ideally a Hickok45 style backyard. That being said I'm tired of being transient and really don't want to have to move again. UBCs, mag bans, and AR bans are all things annoying enough that I'd choose to not live in the state that passes this garbage, sooo in your opinion which state, Maine or New Hampshire is more resistant to the demanding mom's pressure and why?

We chose maine. The tax burden is pretty much on par with that of mass. It seems to be a little bit harder to commit voting fraud in maine than in n.h. but maine seems to have plenty of homegrown stupidity. I never realized how bad Portland and surrounding towns were til I moved. Gun laws seem pretty equal. Maine voters legalized mj but the state legislature royally f***ed up implementation. There are other hot button issues nationally that don't seem to be issues here (gay marriage, abortion...blah blah). Maine came close to having UBC's a couple years ago but sanity did win out. Lepage is done as governor and every dem running to replace him is an anti gun, big spending on social programs progressive. Maine needs as many freedom minded people as it can get. Join us.

This shit is going to spread like cancer from both sides of you. Stay put...it's not worth whatever you think you'd be coming back here for.

This. I moved home for family and friends when I got out of the military, lame. If you are in Montana already, just stay there.

So considering a move have you thought about the real criteria? Housing prices..well which state will more likely show the best return even in a down market???MA
State with best prospect of job opportunities???MA
State with best schools .. because you most likely will have kids whether you want to or not???MA

regardless of the free states and minimal gun controls some criteria far outweigh the latter.

So considering a move have you thought about the real criteria? Housing prices..well which state will more likely show the best return even in a down market???MA
State with best schools .. because you most likely will have kids whether you want to or not???MA

regardless of the free states and minimal gun controls some criteria far outweigh the latter.
If the OP is looking for the last house he will buy, your first point is invalid.
Job opportunities depends (completely) on what field the OP is in. There's more jobs in NH than you think (apparently).
If the OP is interested in schools for kids, there are choices in NH for that too. It will influence the town he picks, but it's not like the schools in NH are from a 4th world country.

The OP has a much better chance of having his "Hickok45 style backyard" in either NH or ME than MA. In MA, he'll probably get cops called on him pretty fast by the neighbors. In NH (and ME from what I know) little (if any) f***s will be given by neighbors. Hell, I know one of mine shoots in his yard and I give 0 f***s about it. Don't know if the distance is up to code or not, but it's not coming in my direction. Hell, even IF job prospects are not stellar in NH, he could work in MA and live in NH. There are enough companies within commute distance of NH (depending on field and desired travel time) to make that viable.

IF you're happy in MA, then good for you. I'm more than happy living in NH. I'd consider moving to ME if it becomes worth it.

What do you know about U Montana in Missoula? My daughter may apply there.

A way to possibly figure it out, is where are the liberals from Mass going? My guess is more are moving to NH. Not good for NH.
Most people living in NH and not from NH are not from MA.

The assertion that the people moving to NH from any other state are more or less liberal than the people already there - the state which voted to elect Obama and Hillary - is unproven.

SNH’s economy is a hell of a lot better than ME. Whole lot more land in ME, it’s almost half of New England.

If the OP is looking for the last house he will buy, your first point is invalid.
Job opportunities depends (completely) on what field the OP is in. There's more jobs in NH than you think (apparently).
If the OP is interested in schools for kids, there are choices in NH for that too. It will influence the town he picks, but it's not like the schools in NH are from a 4th world country.

The OP has a much better chance of having his "Hickok45 style backyard" in either NH or ME than MA. In MA, he'll probably get cops called on him pretty fast by the neighbors. In NH (and ME from what I know) little (if any) f***s will be given by neighbors. Hell, I know one of mine shoots in his yard and I give 0 f***s about it. Don't know if the distance is up to code or not, but it's not coming in my direction. Hell, even IF job prospects are not stellar in NH, he could work in MA and live in NH. There are enough companies within commute distance of NH (depending on field and desired travel time) to make that viable.

IF you're happy in MA, then good for you. I'm more than happy living in NH. I'd consider moving to ME if it becomes worth it.

There are jobs everywhere, what is the pay for a comparative job in MA and which economy only survives because of another state. I get it you love NH but NH only exists because of MA other than that you'd all be innkeepers or tied to the tourist industry up there somehow.
In a downturn market, several of which that we have seen in the last 30 years, I am glad I owned property in MA because all those MA residents who bought second properties in NH helped your real estate market decline to levels below the "bottom feeders" line while trying to offload them. Buy in NH and plan on staying for a awhile.

There are jobs everywhere, what is the pay for a comparative job in MA and which economy only survives because of another state. I get it you love NH but NH only exists because of MA other than that you'd all be innkeepers or tied to the tourist industry up there somehow.
In a downturn market, several of which that we have seen in the last 30 years, I am glad I owned property in MA because all those MA residents who bought second properties in NH helped your real estate market decline to levels below the "bottom feeders" line while trying to offload them. Buy in NH and plan on staying for a awhile.

You have so much MA koolaid flowing through your blood it is hysterical.

BTW, two different companies I'm interviewing at (for IT jobs) are on either side of Sig Sauer (in Portsmouth)... Depending on the amount of time for lunch, I might be able to go there to look things over. ;)

You have so much MA koolaid flowing through your blood it is hysterical.
Not really I live in a realistic world not so much the place I choose. I 'd prefer Maine over NH even though I hate their taxes. NH lives on the back of MA's economy without it all you NH guys would be tour guides nothing more that is reality. Setting up industries on the MA border doesn't make you an economic powerhouse it makes you a slave to the other state. It's factual truth your economy only exists because you feed off MA nothing to get pissy about it is how economies work. Someone has to suck a little t!t off someone else.

Not really I live in a realistic world not so much the place I choose. I 'd prefer Maine over NH even though I hate their taxes. NH lives on the back of MA's economy without it all you NH guys would be tour guides nothing more that is reality. Setting up industries on the MA border doesn't make you an economic powerhouse it makes you a slave to the other state. It's factual truth your economy only exists because you feed off MA nothing to get pissy about it is how economies work. Someone has to suck a little t!t off someone else.

What ever makes you feel better about what ever is making you rant on about this stuff.

The OP asked about NH, ME, and MT, given those 3 options you said he should move to MA. That is by far the dumbest suggestion in a thread I have ever read on this board.

A way to possibly figure it out, is where are the liberals from Mass going? My guess is more are moving to NH. Not good for NH.

This shit is going to spread like cancer from both sides of you. Stay put...it's not worth whatever you think you'd be coming back here for.

You can always visit family....if that's the reason your moving....stay in Montana. If you want to be closer, move somewhere South. There are jobs in the South and real estate is on the rise. Taxes for the most part aren't all that bad.

I feel that gun control will fully take over the Northeast within 20 years.......I don't think any place north will be as retarded as MA is now, but it will encroach....look at VT...in my lifetime never any gun control, now they are starting.

What ever makes you feel better about what ever is making you rant on about this stuff.

The OP asked about NH, ME, and MT, given those 3 options you said he should move to MA. That is by far the dumbest suggestion in a thread I have ever read on this board.

Not really he has family here why don't you provide the reasons why he shouldn't move here provide detailed reasons aside from gun laws. Let's start with real estate values, commute times to see relatives especially on holiday weekends next would be employment opportunities and lets keep your "could commute to a MA based job" to hey stay in the state you reside. If he was retired hell NH is great but that's not the case so young people need to go where there is value, family and strong economies.

Try to look at it from that viewpoint and don't get your butt hurt over your loyalties this isn't high school football rivalries afterall. I don't care for weak responses either.

Not really he has family here why don't you provide the reasons why he shouldn't move here provide detailed reasons aside from gun laws. Let's start with real estate values, commute times to see relatives especially on holiday weekends next would be employment opportunities and lets keep your "could commute to a MA based job" to hey stay in the state you reside. If he was retired hell NH is great but that's not the case so young people need to go where there is value, family and strong economies.

Try to look at it from that viewpoint and don't get your butt hurt over your loyalties this isn't high school football rivalries afterall. I don't care for weak responses either.

I told him he should stay in MT, and I stand by that suggestion.

For me, and all those young people considering the move to NH, I bought my house up in NH 5 years ago when I was 30 years old. I do not work in MA or for an industry or employer that is affiliated with MA, and neither does my wife or most of the people I associate with for that matter. Since you are so interested in the economics of living in NH, we are ahead every year since moving due to our lower overall tax burden, and my property value has appreciated significantly since my purchase due to our semi-private high school ranking nationally last year. We don't care much about the travel time to my family in MA or NJ, because on the occasion it is necessary to see them, we do. 2 hour drive or 6 hour drive, doesn't matter. We happier in life with less government involved in our day to day, and it is way more then guns. If you don't understand what I am talking about, and this isn't some kind of attack, you are the type of person who should stay put in MA. There is more to life then property value, hour + commutes to go 30 miles, douchy MA elitist attitude, begging for permission to sneeze in your own driveway, etc. Living free-er is worth what ever it is you seem to think we gave up moving out of MA.

As far as butt hurt, you are the one asking me to justify my life while cheer leading for MA here like you are clinging to the time you could have taken states if coach would have put you in.

Do you need a job? What kind of work are you in?
Only 10 acres? Think bigger.
NH and ME gun laws are pretty much equal, so make your decision on work/lifestyle.

I told him he should stay in MT, and I stand by that suggestion.

For me, and all those young people considering the move to NH, I bought my house up in NH 5 years ago when I was 30 years old. I do not work in MA or for an industry or employer that is affiliated with MA, and neither does my wife or most of the people I associate with for that matter. Since you are so interested in the economics of living in NH, we are ahead every year since moving due to our lower overall tax burden, and my property value has appreciated significantly since my purchase due to our semi-private high school ranking nationally last year. We don't care much about the travel time to my family in MA or NJ, because on the occasion it is necessary to see them, we do. 2 hour drive or 6 hour drive, doesn't matter. We happier in life with less government involved in our day to day, and it is way more then guns. If you don't understand what I am talking about, and this isn't some kind of attack, you are the type of person who should stay put in MA. There is more to life then property value, hour + commutes to go 30 miles, douchy MA elitist attitude, begging for permission to sneeze in your own driveway, etc. Living free-er is worth what ever it is you seem to think we gave up moving out of MA.

As far as butt hurt, you are the one asking me to justify my life while cheer leading for MA here like you are clinging to the time you could have taken states if coach would have put you in.

I am sorry Ed life and how to live it seems to be a one way street for you. I am not touting living anywhere I am giving real reasons why one place would be a better fit to someone asking. You need to read his questions not answer your own. Douchy MA elitist is no such attack either you think? I love the lower tax burden may want to do your math no scenic tax for you where do you live Brockton North?

I love living in NH. I have 5 acres. My backyard is my range. Neighbors dont give a sh*t because they all shoot in their yards too. I hunt in the thousand+ acres of public land behind my property and never see another soul except for deer, moose, and turkey (in herds of 20 to 40 birds). My closest tree stand is a 4 minute walk from my front door. My dog walks free and has never even seen a leash in her entire life. The neighbors dogs walk free as well and everyone gets along just fine.

Now whether or not they will eventually drink the gun control koolaid is anyones guess, but there are a lot of pro gun people, both liberal and conservative, that I dont think would go for that horsesh*t in this state.

Move to NH. Get a full time job with Sig Sauer and get half price on any weapon they make. If I wasnt a healthcare provider Id work for them in a heartbeat. Guess I should have gone to school for engineering. Luckily my Dad works for Sig so I get the half price discount every few months.

BTW, two different companies I'm interviewing at (for IT jobs) are on either side of Sig Sauer (in Portsmouth)... Depending on the amount of time for lunch, I might be able to go there to look things over. ;)
Good luck, hope it works out for you.
A couple weeks ago I made a wrong turn on my way to a client and ended up at the Sig pro shop....it was an awful mistake [wink]

Right now NH is pretty good, I'm happy with my recent move north from the PRM. Not everyone who moves to NH is a lib, there are a lot coming here for the freedom. I am concerned with some of the natives, many are unaware of how bad things are in MA and that the infection is moving north (and these are gun owners). I point out that Manchester elected a lib mayor (a friend of Healey's), and that they need to be vigilant or the freedom they, we, enjoy could be taken away. For now I have to take it easy politically, but that's temporary, I will get back into local politics, I'm not leaving it to someone else to protect what we have.

At some point in life you will not look at the ROI on your personal home. You will build and live how you expect to complete your life. After that point in time who gives a flying crap on value? You’re freaking dead!!!!

I am sorry Ed life and how to live it seems to be a one way street for you. I am not touting living anywhere I am giving real reasons why one place would be a better fit to someone asking. You need to read his questions not answer your own. Douchy MA elitist is no such attack either you think? I love the lower tax burden may want to do your math no scenic tax for you where do you live Brockton North?

Maybe you should go read his op again. And yeah, I live in Brockton North, it's a real shit hole.

I don't really have an answer for you. But as an NH native who loves NH very much I can tell you the following:

I honestly do not see myself living in NH in 5 years. Why? Because it is too f***ing expensive to live here compared to the South (think SC/TN). And I'm not even referring to the taxes, though the property taxes don't help. I am referring purely to energy and housing. NH has some huge problems right now on both fronts that show no signs of being addressed. NH's electric rates are the 4th highest in the continental US. SC for example is almost 50% cheaper ($0.198/kWh vs $0.11/kWh). Oil/nat gas/propane are not needed to heat down South in the Winter. Next up: housing is f***ing retarded up here. Not only does NH have no rentals available (literally, the vacancy rate in Southern NH close to zero and for all of NH it is 1.7%, a healthy rental market has a rate of 5%), which massively drives up prices, housing stock is low, also driving up prices. And as prices goes up, so goes the property tax paid.

Unless I double my income (or my student loans magically disappear) I cannot afford to buy a house in NH period or even rent alone. And rent is continually going up. 2% raises are not enough, inflation is higher than that.

Sure, crime is higher down south, but frankly anywhere that isn't Maine, NH or VT has higher crime, literally, since all three states are 1, 2, and 3 for lowest crime. Wages are lower but it also depends on the field you are in. IT, especially healthcare IT seems to have less wage differences. With my parents now living in SC I have even less reason to stay.

Don't get me wrong, I love NH, especially the libertarian community, and NH is one of if not the freeest state out there. Yes circumstances can change, but as of right now, I do not foresee a financially viable path to stay in NH. I'm saddened by this, but I see no alternatives as NH cost of living is only increasing.

This is why millennials (and soon to be Gen Z) have/are left the state in droves, we are not at a point in our careers where we can afford to stay or even return.

Unless I double my income (or my student loans magically disappear) I cannot afford to buy a house in NH period or even rent alone. And rent is continually going up. 2% raises are not enough, inflation is higher than that.

You must be further east than me... yes, it's rather expensive over there. Cheshire County (plus other more rural places) has much cheaper housing. A decent place can still be found for $150,000 although a couple years ago you could have got a terrific house for that price. Now, its "well I guess I can still live in it" for that price. And the market heated up since this past winter for the first time since I've been here. Great houses for a good price used to stay on the market for months or over a year, even well after the Boston market heated up. Mine was on the market for a year when I made an offer. But now, any good to great house for a reasonable price has an offer either the first day or shortly after. What tends to remain are dumpy large old farm houses that require tons of work and no one wants those.

Lots of great replies.

Montana has been a great place to live as and offers some of the benefits described. Aside from the gun laws, getting out of the Massachusetts rat race has been nice. When people talk to you they care about hour interests, not your income or career.

Montana is economically crippled aside from Bozeman and Missoula which are both mini Cambridges on the brink of housing "cool offs". And sadly other than flat and ugly Eastern Montana land prices are generally higher than they are in Maine. Now, I have absolutely no fear of gun control but as I mentioned it would be nice to be closer to my parents as they and my nieces and sister.

With NH it seems like 10+ acres without having to build starts to get out of my price range quickly. (I'd like to be at $300k or less)

You must be further east than me... yes, it's rather expensive over there.

In NH, you get what you pay for in both property value and taxes. If you want to live near the seacoast in a more developed area with more services, you pay. If you are willing to drive a little bit and deal with dirt roads and taking care of your own trash, you get more for less. It is one feature of NH I love.

Lots of great replies.

Montana has been a great place to live as and offers some of the benefits described. Aside from the gun laws, getting out of the Massachusetts rat race has been nice. When people talk to you they care about hour interests, not your income or career.

Montana is economically crippled aside from Bozeman and Missoula which are both mini Cambridges on the brink of housing "cool offs". And sadly other than flat and ugly Eastern Montana land prices are generally higher than they are in Maine. Now, I have absolutely no fear of gun control but as I mentioned it would be nice to be closer to my parents as they and my nieces and sister.

With NH it seems like 10+ acres without having to build starts to get out of my price range quickly. (I'd like to be at $300k or less)

You can absolutely get what you want in NH for $300k. It just totally depends on where in the state you want to live. In MA commuting range? Probably not. An hour or so from the boarder and/or west of Concord? Absolutely, and then some.

My brother just bought a house in Salem for 260. So it’s def afdoradable compared to mass it’s just your property taxes are high. But I would pay a little extra to buy an AR.. lol

NH made the mistake of not building a big wall to keep MA riff raff out and now they are paying the price. It's not too late for Maine to build a big wall to keep the migrating riff raff at bay.

My brother just bought a house in Salem for 260. So it’s def afdoradable compared to mass it’s just your property taxes are high. But I would pay a little extra to buy an AR.. lol

Where it pays is when you stop working in MA and stop paying them income taxes.

Back
Top Bottom