The girlfriend is concerned... Quick access safe?

hahaha, funny. I'm not lettign her make this decision for me. F that... I've already made it very clear that I will not be pushed around regarding other issues. Some things are able to be compromised on, others not so much...

edit:
and again with the trust thing. I would assume that if she didn't trust me, she'd have a problem with the fact that I have guns to begin with and would not have moved in.

The only reason I brought that up is because you said she is afraid of getting shot. I don't know you, nor do I know her but I'm assuming that it is just the two of you living together. If she is worried about getting shot as you indicated in the OP, who is going to shoot her? Unless she is afraid of shooting herself, that only leaves you.

Like I said though, I don't know either of you. It's pure speculation based on the OP. Good luck and I hope that you can work it out.

Perhaps she's worried about betting shot because she knows something that we ALL should know:

- The more you handle a loaded gun (in a non-controlled environment) the more chances you have of a ND. It's much safer left in a holster on a person than sitting on a table/chair.

- Unless it is stored on a corner table that faces no other rooms, as you walk around, the barrel of this loaded gun may be pointing at her/you. This would make me nervous as well and violates one of the cardinal safety rules.

It may not be a trust issue, but it might be a legit safety concern. Just speculating . . ., just like everyone else here.

Perhaps she's worried about betting shot because she knows something that we ALL should know:

- The more you handle a loaded gun (in a non-controlled environment) the more chances you have of a ND. It's much safer left in a holster on a person than sitting on a table/chair.

- Unless it is stored on a corner table that faces no other rooms, as you walk around, the barrel of this loaded gun may be pointing at her/you. This would make me nervous as well and violates one of the cardinal safety rules.

It may not be a trust issue, but it might be a legit safety concern. Just speculating . . ., just like everyone else here.

Great points Len... I agree.
This is one reason I always keep my home defense gun holstered.

No this doesn't violate anything. Guns don't just "go off". It is only a safety concern when a gun is being handled. People who pocket carry have the possibility of pointing their guns at people every time they sit down. People who use shoulder holster have the same issue. That doesn't mean that this is a safety concern. That doesn't mean you should stare down the barrel of a gun that is sitting on the night stand, but a gun on or in the night stand, so long as it is not being handled, is a safe gun.

A new girlfriend.

+1

eject0.jpg

oooh! I like that.

Even if you decide to carry all the time, the fort knox pistol box is a great choice for when you're in the shower or other situations when you absolutely can't carry.

In MA if your girlfriend is not licensed, she can't have access to the gun according to the law.

The Fort Knox box is an excellent choice because (as has been pointed out) there are no batteries to fail, and the steel is a good thickness. It is 10 gauge steel versus 16 gauge in Gun Vaults....that's quite a difference.

10 Gauge is what most commercial safes in the $3-4,000.00 range are made of.

The downside to the Fort Knox box is that there is no backup opening mechanism, like a key. If you forget the combination, you're screwed!

Gun Vaults, DAC safes, and similar units have a backup key entry mechanism.

The downside to the Fort Knox box is that there is no backup opening mechanism, like a key. If you forget the combination, you're screwed!

That's only 5^5 number of combinations and chances are you will remember a partial so an afternoon and a bottle of scotch and you should be in.

You had better decide now if this is the hill you want to die on. I know some hard-core gun-nuts that would rather be married with locked up guns than single. So it's not about how macho you are, it's about how important the issue is to YOU and no one else.

If she's this way about guns now, think about how it will be if you have a couple of kids around. (Yes, THEN you should get a gunvault).

Ask her what she's worried about and ask that she be specific. If it's just a general fear of having one around and not at the range or locked up, it may be less of a big deal than you think.

As my wife likes to say: "They don't go 'splody killing spree all by themselves." She may just need to hear that from you a few times in a very non-condescending way. It's not her fault she has an irrational fear, but if she likes going to the range with you I'd bet you can get her over it.

If nevessary you could try to have her talk to some of the women on this board. They're probably the best people to talk to her about it and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding one of the ladies to help you out.

Good luck.

This is why a firearm is useless if locked in a safe (this happened yesterday)...

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/Poli...ty-home-fatally-shoots-resident-86348557.html
Excellent find, +reps inbound.

Relationships are based on trust and it sounds to me like she does not trust you.

What he said +a kabillion. [thinking]

I dont think that it's because she doesnt trust me.

Yes it is, and she dosen't. Think with the big head. (Been there, done that. [rolleyes] [wink] )

That's only 5^5 number of combinations and chances are you will remember a partial so an afternoon and a bottle of scotch and you should be in.

Actually, more combinations because of the possibility of pressing more than one button simultaneously versus each button sequentially.

I think I'd need a calculator to figure out the possibilities, so it better be a really big bottle of scotch.

There's a reason they use Simplex locks on highly secure facilities like computer rooms, clean rooms, etc.

Just went through this. First, it's"I'm uncomfortable with the gun out". Then it's "I'm uncomfortable with the gun in the house". After that it's "We need xxxxxx and if you sell your guns we can get it". Start looking around brother, she ain't the one.

Actually, more combinations because of the possibility of pressing more than one button simultaneously versus each button sequentially.

I think I'd need a calculator to figure out the possibilities, so it better be a really big bottle of scotch.

There's a reason they use Simplex locks on highly secure facilities like computer rooms, clean rooms, etc.

I didn't know it allowed multiple key presses.

Just went through this. First, it's"I'm uncomfortable with the gun out". Then it's "I'm uncomfortable with the gun in the house". After that it's "We need xxxxxx and if you sell your guns we can get it". Start looking around brother, she ain't the one.

+1

I have the minivault, but still have the pistol out while I'm home. I don't have kids so the pistol is either on my hip or sitting next to me on the end table in a holster. Always under my control. My wife does the same while I'm not home. A gun in the safe is serving no purpose to its owner. [wink]

no one has asked "when its out of the safe, where are you putting it"?????

my suggestion is to keep it on you, then its with you and not lyiing around.

Jim

It won't matter where it's kept. The gal, just feels uncomfortable with a gun in the house. That's why she's bringing it up. She wants the OP to cater to her irrational fear. It's a power thing. If he acquiesces on this he's toast. "a fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity". End of story.

Will this do the trick? She did say she wanted it in a safe right? She didnt say what kind of safe! Legos are secure - yes? You will have quick access from any angle!

lego-safe-450x518.jpg

Last edited:
. She wants the OP to cater to her irrational fear. It's a power thing. If he acquiesces on this he's toast. "a fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity". End of story.

This should be stated again, and again. Good way to put it. Hopefully the OP takes note.

The only place for a gun is on your body. THE ONLY PLACE FOR A GUN IS ON YOUR BODY. Otherwise locked up. Or you fail. FAIL!

Hmmm.....how about dropping her off in Bellingham Square - Chelsea, MA for about 30 minutes on a Friday night? She will beg you to have it at the ready then! LOL

Seriously now....American Security (AmSec Safes) makes a nice one for about $130. It is electronic, but warns you well in advance if the battery is low. Furthermore, you can connect a 9V if the intenal one runs dry.

She's apparently very uncomfortable with me having a pistol that I have easy/quick access to. While home, I have a pistol out of my safe and that is her concern. She doesnt like the fact that I have a firearm "not in the safe". She's worried that she'll get shot... I have no idea where this came from.

I always have a gun on me at home. There's been a series of home invasions in my area recently (including a house two doors down from me, it happened while I was home), where a gang of thieves kicks in the front door and tears through the house in a matter of 2-3 minutes. I carried religiously anyway before this started, but it really drove it home for me. A few hits with a foot or a sledgehammer is all it takes to be through your door FAST. Again, this will happen FAST. If the gun isn't within reach you're out of luck.

It sounds like your GF isn't anti gun or anything, but probably just not educated so well. Have an honest discussion with her about her fears, and then do some research to find out if her fears are valid. For instance, a loaded shotgun with a round in the chamber leaning against the wall can go off if it's bumped hard enough, or a pistol laying on a nightstand can/will go off if there's a fire or if a pet gets it's paw in the trigger guard.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/22341604/detail.html

PITTSBURGH -- A medical examiner said the death of an 8-year-old Mercer County boy who was shot while hunting raccoons with relatives was an accident.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said Rudy Shetler, of Fredonia, was shot in the head when a dog knocked over a rifle that had been propped up near the boy. The gun fired when it fell over.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/01/31/1804155/dog-shoots-man-in-back.html

A hunter trying to retrieve duck decoys got a surprise when he was accidentally shot by his own dog.

The accident occurred Saturday when the female Labrador retriever stepped on her owner's loaded shotgun, causing the safety to disengage and the weapon to fire, according to the Merced County Sheriff's Department.

The 53-year-old victim was hit in the upper left back with No. 2 shot.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/09/2134640.htm

Perry Price, 46, had just shot a goose and went back to his pick-up truck to let his dog out to retrieve it from the brush.

He leaned over the bed of the truck and lay his shotgun down inside as he unhooked the tailgate, his hunting companion told investigators.

"When the dog got to jumping around it went off," deputy Nacheal Bonin of the Chambers County Sheriff's Department said.

The shotgun pellets went through the truck's tailgate and struck Mr Price, a high school teacher and avid hunter, in the thigh.

His friend rushed Mr Price to a hospital nearby but the pellets had severed an artery and Mr Price could not be saved. He was pronounced dead at 6:20 pm on Saturday.

Talk to her. This is a key aspect of any relationship. If education doesn't alter her fears, then someone's going to have to compromise. Figure out what's important to both of you, talk about it and lay the matter to rest.

I think that a quick access safe is a nice compromise to her concerns.

I've got a GunVault mini, I have no complaints about it.

Locking systems are great for storage, but in a hurry it's a bad idea IMO.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/34677-Important-Info!!

Locks don't work sometimes due to low batteries, broken keys, lack of oil or other mechanical farts that can get you killed.

I recently moved in with my fiancé, she tells me "I want a loaded gun in every room."

Not a good idea in my opinion. The houses that have been hit in my area were all completely ransacked inside in a matter of minutes. They stole everything of value inside. There are also cases where a homeowner has surprised a burglar in the house and they got shot and killed with their own gun that the burglar found.

Guns don't just "go off". It is only a safety concern when a gun is being handled.

See what I posted above; in general you're right, but it's not always true.

That visual made me laugh out loud for some reason.

I recently moved in with my fiancé, she tells me "I want a loaded gun in every room."

Not a good idea in my opinion. The houses that have been hit in my area were all completely ransacked inside in a matter of minutes. They stole everything of value inside. There are also cases where a homeowner has surprised a burglar in the house and they got shot and killed with their own gun that the burglar found.

We don't actually have a gun in every room. It was her basically telling me she wants us to have a bunch of guns [smile]

Bring her to a shoot, once she see's all those firearms lying around it will desensitize her to yours. Either that or she'll have a conniption.

Perhaps you haven't read the following: http://www.topbits.com/how-to-open-a-simplex-lock.html

From the article: "How do you open a Simplex lock? You try all 1,082 possible combinations. It may seem difficult at first, but with some practice you should be able to open most Simplex locks in under ten minutes."

So, maybe just the one drink of scotch will suffice. ;)

Back
Top Bottom