The Gun Parlor helping the antis..

The 7/20 Mandate was a chance for many FFLs to group together and become a united front against Maura and defy her "interpretation" but the majority of FFLs in this state bent over for her because they knew it would affect their bottom line if they didn't. Plus - without online competition - marking up their ammo/gear prices 20% to 40% because they are the only game in town, along with not carrying niche cartridges is another major reason why I don't frequent FFLs in Massachusetts.
I don't think it's constructive to re-hash the 7/20 thing, but I will just leave it with the idea that there seems to be two camps--idealists and those who follow realpolitik. In terms of perspective, when you say "affect their bottom line," I think it's important to distinguish between a 10% reduction in revenue versus being financially ruined--which is likely what would have happened to those battling the AG with her bottomless coffers.

Do you expect shops that will lose a sale to an internet FFL over $25 to carry admittedly niche ​cartridges?

You don't get it! AG does NOT want anything gun-related shipped into MA, not to legal gun owners and really not even to FFLs. You're giving them ammo to continue and a Cease & Desist Order whereby TS will be forced to agree never to ship anything to MA. Check out Sportsman's Guide if you doubt me . . . people have tried to order empty gun cases from them and been denied and that was ~10 yrs ago.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking about making a different point. But brain fart and completely forgot I was on the other side of this argument just yesterday. Totally agree about not saying anything that could harm us.

To add on to that, since it is an interstate transaction regarding ammo, state laws don't matter. Only federal. The purchaser is exclusively on the hook for any state legalities he/she might be violating. The out of state seller has no skin in the game. I don't think the seller by federal law even needs to check the purchuser's age.
I emailed WCVB and said they should run a story on how instead of publishing a letter informing sellers that they should verify that MA buyers have a license before shipping, the AG risks unlicensed buyers getting ammo so they can maintain a quiet methodology of blackmailing dealers on a one by one basis. They can't do both, and they've chosen to wage a war on 2A rather than doing what they claim is in the best interest of safety in making sure only licensed buyers get ammo.

If this angle picked up steam one may hope it would force the AG to act and release such a statement. Then once they've made a statement that would facilitate sellers shipping to us once they've verified our LTCs as they do with other states.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I was wondering why all of a sudden I was getting calls and emails from people I've never heard of about getting ammo shipped to me for them. This same kind of crap happened over 15 years ago. A local dealer thought he was losing sales...the rest is history. Still, if that didn't happen back then, qmmo.net may never have come about.

I'm getting too old for this sh!t though...

Healey has people in EOPPS every day going through MIRCS records in real time. I've spoken to dealers who have received a phone call from the AG's office about a transaction within minutes (as in under 5) of a transaction being made and they are asking questions. It's 100% intimidation tactics from the gestapo in her office.

Wow, yeah Gestapo is the correct word here. She's a little Reichsfuhrer if there ever was one.

I don't think it's constructive to re-hash the 7/20 thing, but I will just leave it with the idea that there seems to be two camps--idealists and those who follow realpolitik. In terms of perspective, when you say "affect their bottom line," I think it's important to distinguish between a 10% reduction in revenue versus being financially ruined--which is likely what would have happened to those battling the AG with her bottomless coffers.

Do you expect shops that will lose a sale to an internet FFL over $25 to carry admittedly niche ​cartridges?

Not too sure what you are debating over here. Financial ruin or not, I don't care what their reasoning was to bend over for Maura...They made their decision to go along with her Mandate and I made my decision to stop supporting MA gun shops because of it.

I don't expect anything from Mass gun shops. The majority of them do not carry a great variety of cartridges; especially defensive ammo; hence why I take my business to other vendors who do. Those vendors so happen to be of the online variety. Obviously this specific online vendor that TGP threw under the bus was making a big enough dent in their profit for TGP to even think of conspiring with WCVB to throw them under the bus.

Last edited:
Could be a local shop owner, tired of people buying online instead of their own jacked up prices... just speculation though...

My guess is the rat had some kind of beef, dispute with Target Sports and this was his way of getting back at them.

It's highly unlikely that we'll ever find out who the culprit is.

One thing the gun parlor didn't consider though......is that gun owners pay attention to detail. They'll be lucky to last to q2 2018. Boycott.

Yeah, one might think that... but.... You underestimate the general ignorance, and general apathy, of the typical MA gun buyer segment. People like most of us in this thread- we're not even part of that segment. We're the exception. that upper 10-20% maybe. I was thinking about this today while I was taking my morning dump... it all suddenly became very clear to me- that GP did all this knowing that the worse that would happen is that they would lose "a customer base that never shopped there to begin with". I'm probably 25 minutes from there (which might as well be down the street) and I never even stopped in there once- or even gave a serious thought about stopping in there- mainly because the prices depicted online were always f-ing bonkers. Those of us that have been doing this for 15+, however many years; after awhile you won't even bother making a trip or opening a door without doing homework, and we certainly don't pay overprices, particularly not to that degree... we'll go without rather than feeding that problem. It's quite obvious that the demographic of that shop is not at that higher end of the spectrum. Most of the people who walk through that door, that keep the lights on... they don't even know who you're talking about if you say "dimples the tyrant" nor will they often have a clue about what happened on 7/20 other than possibly parroting "the AG banned some guns" or something vague like that. (the guys that work there definitely will know, but the customers? Maybe 1 in 3?).

-Mike

Healey has people in EOPPS every day going through MIRCS records in real time. I've spoken to dealers who have received a phone call from the AG's office about a transaction within minutes (as in under 5) of a transaction being made and they are asking questions. It's 100% intimidation tactics from the gestapo in her office.

Is that a legal use of that system? I was under the impression that the data was there for tracing history of a firearm, not for the pro-active searching of transactions.

Not too sure what you are debating over here. Financial ruin or not, I don't care what their reasoning was to bend over for Maura...They made their decision to go along with her Mandate and I made my decision to stop supporting MA gun shops because of it.

I don't expect anything from Mass gun shops. The majority of them do not carry a great variety of cartridges; especially defensive ammo; hence why I take my business to other vendors who do. Those vendors so happen to be of the online variety. Obviously this specific online vendor that TGP threw under the bus was making a big enough dent in their profit for TGP to even think of conspiring with the WCVB to throw them under the bus.
My point was that I don't think it was reasonable or realistic to expect MA FLLs to defy the AG, however nice it might've been. Furthermore, there are several FFLs that have demonstrated a commitment to fight the 7/20 (and general MA firearms law) nonsense. I think those that have done so deserve our encouragement rather than our scorn.
But may those that work against us receive their just deserts.

My point was that I don't think it was reasonable or realistic to expect MA FLLs to defy the AG, however nice it might've been. Furthermore, there are several FFLs that have demonstrated a commitment to fight the 7/20 (and general MA firearms law) nonsense. I think those that have done so deserve our encouragement rather than our scorn.
But may those that work against us receive their just deserts.

Which is why the $$$ I save purchasing from online vendor rather than Mass Gun shops is also better served going to Comm2A [grin]

Is that a legal use of that system? I was under the impression that the data was there for tracing history of a firearm, not for the pro-active searching of transactions.

That was my understanding too.

My foggy memory seems to recall posts here about how the AG wanted that info and the FRB told them to **** off.

This was probably back when Jason Guida was in charge.

Might have missed it somewhere in this thread, but did anyone recognise the helpful individual who supposedly alerted the news after he got his 2k AK rounds?

When Romney was governor the attitude of EOPS is that the AG did not get this kind of access to that system unless it was for a VERY specific law enforcement purpose, and the request had to be submitted formally, etc. Even then information supplied to the AG was often redacted; EG, if the AG was investigating a specific dealer, the buyer info (name, address, LTC etc) would be completely redacted from the output that the AGs office received. Those records were considered protected, like the same way that a LEO can't run plate numbers through his RMV access "just for the hell of it" or "because his friend asked him to do it, because he's trying to figure out this dude that keeps picking up his daughter in front of his house" etc. Under Romney EOPS was actually relatively nonpartisan; and there was this idea that the privacy of those records was important; eg, to preserve public trust in the system. We knew it would get bad during Uhaul, but nobody would have imagined that once Baker showed up, that it would actually get far worse and that EOPS would basically roll out the red carpet for the AGs office, to just let them look at anything they want, anytime they wanted.

-Mike

Might have missed it somewhere in this thread, but did anyone recognise the helpful individual who supposedly alerted the news after he got his 2k AK rounds?

Occum's Razor tells me it was probably someone who had the most to gain from a highly popular online vendor that shipped to Mass with better prices than Mass gun shops being out of the loop...wonder who that could be?

When Romney was governor the attitude of EOPS is that the AG did not get this kind of access to that system unless it was for a VERY specific law enforcement purpose, and the request had to be submitted formally, etc. Even then information supplied to the AG was often redacted; EG, if the AG was investigating a specific dealer, the buyer info (name, address, LTC etc) would be completely redacted from the output that the AGs office received. Those records were considered protected, like the same way that a LEO can't run plate numbers through his RMV access "just for the hell of it" or "because his friend asked him to do it, because he's trying to figure out this dude that keeps picking up his daughter in front of his house" etc. Under Romney EOPS was actually relatively nonpartisan; and there was this idea that the privacy of those records was important; eg, to preserve public trust in the system. We knew it would get bad during Uhaul, but nobody would have imagined that once Baker showed up, that it would actually get far worse and that EOPS would basically roll out the red carpet for the AGs office, to just let them look at anything they want, anytime they wanted.

-Mike

Thanks for the details and examples.

Thats F'd up. However it seems that there are no laws, privacy or otherwise, on why or what departments can access WRT this data. Its all internal policy that can change depending on whos in charge.

WOW

Never mind the fohtay part.
I like how they specifically emphasized "Full Metal Jacket" . You could tell they thought it was something extra evil.

I read that in Pvt Pyles voice...

2k6IaZy.png

And here I was under the impression the AG was the State's lawyer and not law enforcement.

Well the AG is the highest ranking LEO in the state but they have the power to enforce current law; not reinterpret law or intimidate vendors making otherwise legal transactions (like online ammo purchases).

Back
Top Bottom