The most unreliable gun you've shot

Did it fail to fire? Fail to Eject? Fail to disconnect between trigger pulls or just start to come apart in your hand?

I know someone who has one, and he keeps tools in the carry case to tighten the screws before shooting it and any time he's taking a break from shooting it.

Fortunately he's done enough work to the action that it now reliabiliy feeds, fires and ejects 1 round per trigger pull.

I/O PPS-43c..from Classic Arms.. Out of the box new. The cover came flying off. It would not lock. Gun fired 4 times before becoming non-operation. I/O refused to answer calls for Warranty Service. Classic Arms ended up taking it back and refunding me the gun/ transfer fee/ and shipping.

Kel-Tec PF9; total POS. Interestingly, this is the gun that George Zimmerman was carrying the night he shot Trayvon. I read that when it was taken as evidence, that it had a full mag and nothing in the chamber. Evidently, it spit out brass when fired but didn't cycle a new round in to the chamber. Imagine how the situation may have turned out differently if he missed with that one shot.

Last edited:
Several:

+ I had an m1 carbine from CMP which would stovepipe all the time. They eventually replaced it.

+ I had a Marlin .357 lever rifle 1894, which the main screws kept coming loose and causing the lever
to wobble and jam up.

+ Ruger LC9 which would shave off brass from the primer into the firing pin channel causing FTF. Not what
I like in a carry gun.

+ Browning Buckmark which would stovepipe in cold weather.

+ I did have a S&W stainless 1911 I bought used from Four Seasons which would stovepipe, but I sent it back to S&W and they fixed it so that did not happen again.

I probably haven't shot more than 2 dozen guns or so, but any time I've shot a .22 auto theres always a few stovepipes. I guess its to be expected

I probably haven't shot more than 2 dozen guns or so, but any time I've shot a .22 auto theres always a few stovepipes. I guess its to be expected

Not sure about that. I have quite a few .22 auto loaders, and they all feed very reliably with any ammo that's not Remington. As long as I clean them between every 2-3 range trips.

As for unreliable handguns, I had an Astra a75 9mm that couldn't make it through a mag without at least one of two FTE's. Total POS! I traded it back to the gun store where I bought it (for half what I paid for it) on a Saiga .223. I consider that a great trade!

Kel-Tec PF9; total POS. Interestingly, this is the gun that George Zimmerman was carrying the night he shot Trayvon. I read that when it was taken as evidence, that it had a full mag and nothing in the chamber. Evidently, it spit out brass when fired but didn't cycle a new round in to the chamber. Imagine how the situation may have turned out differently if he missed with that one shot.

I also read that it was in his holster. Maybe he unloaded the chamber so the LEO wouldn't accidentally put one in his leg while taking it from him?

Sig mosquito never fed anything but cci, shortly followed by a brand new gen 4 g22 glock...the sights fell off it, had several FTF's, FTE's, and loved to throw brass into your forehead when it functioned.

Last edited:
CZ 50. Wouldn't feed aftermarket mags at all, and wouldn't eject reliably. I don't know if it was just old and worn it, or a classic Eastern European POS, but I wouldnt even bother throwing it if it came to that.

Colt Ace .22...the newer one. I finally sold it. Rare gun, and worth a fair amount, but no fun to shoot, plus it wasn't very accurate

We had those left overs at Parris Island, The drill instructors even thought the were a POS. My father in law (Red Catcher we spoke of before) loved the M-14 .
QUOTE=Skysoldier;2481821]The f'ing M-16 in Vietnam![angry][/QUOTE]

I am constantly amused when people are surprised to find out that their Taurus, Astra, Davis, Jennings or whichever piece of crap, bargain basement, half-priced shitbox fails them. It's like if you had the choice between a Ford, a Chevy, a Toyota and a Yugo and you bought the Yugo, then you were amazed that it wasn't as fast as a Ferrari or as reliable as a Toyota.
Now all the people that own one of the above named hunks of junk will write in about how they've had one for 200 years and it's never failed. I believe you already. But my point is that most of the time, when you buy a cheap piece of shit, it performs like a cheap piece of shit.
To any of you who are offended by my rough language, I wish to offer my heartfelt ****ing appology.

Marlin 795 22lr my dads gun he bought it because it was light and cheap.... I have never seen so many jams in my life everytime some one shot it the would have a stack of bent rounds next to them! It got alot better after the first t00 round or so dad says uts actually pritty good now....

Can't belive the p22 problems I thought it was only the first gen with issues I have a second gen with b mags and have easily 1500 rounds through it without a single problem... only mini mags though!

The f'ing M-16 in Vietnam![angry]

The scary thing about this is that when I was in service(late 80's) most of the M-16's we were issued were from the Vietnam era. Good thing we didn't need to shoot them much, but it didn't matter, since every other round in the mags we were issued was a pencil stub.

My M16 in basic. Shot 39/40 the day before qualifying.
Went to qualify and had nothing but double feeds. Went through every magazine I had and had live rounds around my feet.
I hit 21/40. BARELY qualified. coming up on 30 years later and I am still pissed about it! [angry]

I bought a brand new ruger sr9. I had two FTE in the first magazine. Federal 9mm too. I'll never buy a sr9 again

Not normal at all. The SR9/SR9c has a great track record and runs flawless on the cheapest ammo I feed mine. Make sure you cleaned all the factory grease out of the internal parts and the striker and firing pin channel.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

Grendel p10 it was giving to me by a gun shop owner because he didn't want to sell it.

I almost bought one of those things in 2004. I asked to see it out of the cabinet and asked "Where's the mag release?" The clerk replied "there isn't one, the mag is part of the gun, you load it through the top. " I was like.... "What, the ****?" No thanks. They wanted like $250 for it, too!

Top loading semiauto.... I thought that was something that was only unique to the Mauser pistols, and even those I would give a pass too because they are ancient. [grin]

-Mike

I almost bought one of those things in 2004. I asked to see it out of the cabinet and asked "Where's the mag release?" The clerk replied "there isn't one, the mag is part of the gun, you load it through the top. " I was like.... "What, the ****?" No thanks. They wanted like $250 for it, too!

Top loading semiauto.... I thought that was something that was only unique to the Mauser pistols, and even those I would give a pass too because they are ancient. [grin]

-Mike

$250.00 damn i dont think i would buy one for $2.50

I had a lot of problems with a Russian IZH 35, a .22 pistol I first used in competitions. It jammed at nearly every single match, making me nervous lowering my score. I was happy to switch it for my Hammerly. The funniest thing, a guy who bought this pistol from me had no problems and said its a very reliable gun. Either the thing did not like me, or I did not give it enough care [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom