The Second Amendment March: A shameful showing of how we couldn't pull the trigger

I attended the Second Amendment March and while the other threads on this forum show a happy and pleasant theme, this thread will not. This thread isn't directed at everyone. Only the person in front of the monitor will know whether this applies to them.

I'm not really looking for feedback but you're welcome to it if you so desire. I'm not sure I will care what type of responses I get.

This 2A March gained national attention. I remember when I first heard of it a year ago and told myself that this was something I needed to attend. I had a vision of like-minded 2A people and Constitutionalists coming together to send a message to our govt and to the rest of the country that this Amendment was not going to be brushed under the table without a fight.

I have been a gun owner for a mere 3 years. Before that I was sheep like everyone else. Being a gun owner has opened my eyes to many things, and among them is the necessity to ensure that all of our rights are secure.

What I see on this forum are thread after thread bashing ridiculous laws, idiots who misinterpret them, and the criminalization of otherwise innocent gun owners. While that's great that we can recognize offenses; it seems that recognition is as far as many of us will go.

Sunday night I boarded a bus with 40+ people from this forum just past midnight. Together we drove 8 hours to DC. We arrived a little early, but not a single 2A person was there. It was disheartening to say the least but we kept a positive attitude and waited it out. I kept thinking to myself that if this were M.A.D.D (Mother's against drunk driving) there would have been 100 times more people in attendance.

Sometimes I think that this forum has such a great sense of community, and that we are in the fight together: that we are the true enthusiasts because not only do we own guns, but we spend all day long talking about them with each other.

If there were a group of people who should be determined to fight for 2A our rights, it should be us. We make guns our lifestyle. I legitimately cannot think of another group of people I had higher expectations for.

I have come to the scary realization that many of us on this forum will always just talk the talk and think that someone else will do the walking.

I'm not saying that everyone on this forum should have up and jumped on a bus for DC. But I'm inclined to think that only a handful of us write our legislators, call them, participate in protests, donate our time or money to causes we always talk about being worthy.

The man behind the March:
The man that started this march is not a politician. He wasn't wearing a suit, nor arrived in a limo. He was a true believer and average Joe. My guess is that he probably belongs to a forum like this one. Skip got up on stage in a gray sweatshirt and jeans. His hair was not combed. He looked like he had not slept in a week. He thanked us graciously for coming and in closing made what I considered a somewhat desperate request: the 2A March was still not payed for and he told us that asking for money is not something he was proud to do. He semi-jokingly mentioned that going home to his wife and telling her how much of their money he spent would not be a good conversation. He too expected more from the guys that so brazenly spout Molon Labe, have a Gadsden flag on their windshield, and speak so assuredly about how the 2A is the most important right we have. And yet when the time came to take a stand, and to make a mark, the guys who were so outspoken were nowhere to be found, excusing themselves for various important reasons.

We listened to many speakers that I will never forget: Dick Heller, Suzanna Gratia Hupp, Nikki Goeser
(If you don't know who those people are, look them up).

I'm proud to have been on that bus with people who decided that the 2A was important enough to take a day to fight for. When push comes to shove, I know those people are the ones that will stand by us.

I just thought more of you were with us in the fight.

Respectfully,
UW

Right on. It's so much easier to be keyboard heroes.

Wish I could be there with you guys. I had the day marked off and reserved my seat, then my company decided this week was going to be the annual meeting week. [sad]

I too was disappointed in the meager turnout at this "demonstration". It certainly did not send a very compelling message to our politicians. Fortunately Georgia sent 400 and Ohio sent three busloads. If not for that, the turnout would have been even more embarrassing. One would think that Massachusetts, with our repressive gun regulations, would have mustered a more impressive showing. I don't know what the turnout was for the OC gathering in Virginia but certainly if the two events had not been concurrent, those folks would have been in DC (that was an unfortunate conflict). Gun owners tend to be Conservative and as such are less prone to "take to the streets" than their leftist/liberal counterparts. They seem to feel that it's enough to express their positions with their vote. It's time to change that dynamic! The really repressive gun legislation will begin after the mid-term elections and go ballistic if "The One" gets re-elected (Heaven forbid).
As Underwhere pointed out, the the march organizers are in the RED for this march. We owe them our support.
I am sending a donation to the SAM. I would urge all of our members to also contribute whatever they can. You can donate to them here They accept all credit cards. If you would prefer you can make it a small monthly amount over up to twelve months rather than having to pony up a larger amount all at once.

Maybe Kiver could put the donation info up in a sticky on this forum.

Last edited:
This is what happens when people are "whipped into submission".

The state of Massachusetts has beaten people down with regard to guns for the past fifty years, law after law, after law to the point where people see no future in fighting it anymore and either leave the state or find a different hobby/love. I've watched it happen my entire adult life.

The chiefs of police, the cops themselves, the legislature, the judicial system(DAs, judges, prosecutors) and even the average person in this illogical liberal state, all working in concert to either maintain their political standing and sense of power over the sheep or, just being the sheep that they have been educated to be.

So few people have sued for their LTC that the municipalities and the state feel no threat so the law never changes to any great degree. The fees have gone up, the restrictions tightened, the penalties for minor ridiculous incidents have become felonies, guns have been banned by type, on and on. This is why people feel powerless....and when people feel powerless, they act powerless ie: don't act at all.

Personally, I had just returned (Saturday) from a 1200 mile, straight through drive and was experiencing back problems, I couldn't take another thousand mile round trip, I'd be crippled...........but, I've sued for an LTC in one of the most restrictive towns in the state and won. Not only did I win my case but the chief was publicly admonished by the judge in the courtroom to never bring a case like this in front of him again. I had more qualifications documented than the entire police department combined and the judge was angry for the chief's lack of discretion.

I also vigorously persued a machinegun license and obtained it, letting the chief know that I would not back down from it no matter what the cost in time money or aggrivation and I would spend the rest of my life in court if necessary. The chief got the message after blowing me off for six months and the threat of a federal lawsuit(which was to be filed the morning I was called to reinterview). The chief even admitted that I would have won that suit if filed.

Most people upon denial of a permit, walk out the door with their tail between their legs never to be heard from again. I refused to be beaten down like that in my own state or community....I pay the bills and since these previous incidents, I've decided that I will exercise my rights, permit or not. I'll no longer PAY an extortion fee to any government to exercise my rights.

What you must understand is, people are followers for the most part and they approach situations like this with great trepidation, particularly when their physical freedom and financial purse are at risk. People also feel isolated, alone and helpless, with no place and nobody(leaders) to turn to. Once they see that they are not alone, they break out of their shell and participate, feeling better that they don't face the wrath of the state alone.

I'd bet that if another rally were to be held next weekend, you'd see a tenfold number of participants.

In closing, This is NOT considered a "gun state" by any stretch of the imagination, by anyone in the country, and for good reason. So, the actions (or inactions as it is ) of most here are actually pretty normal for the existing conditions. Until the legislature is changed, lock stock and barrel, this state is going to remain a restrictive, gangster run, corrupt police state.....thats the way the legislature wants it and there is never a shortage of hired guns(also known as power hungry, abusive cops) to carry out their wishes.

This is why I never feel sorry for any adult victims of violent crime in this state.....the people by and large, by virtue of their legislature, provide job security and
job safety for criminals......and the criminals know it. The judicial system here is a farse....a well oiled meat grinder, designed to chew up and spit out those not willing to fight it.....and you know what? It works.

Keep Your Powder Dry,

Tom

Excellent sentiments and articulately presented by all..... I looked at our turnout from a little different angle. Not that this mitigates the poor response or apparent lack of interest nationally. But, NES'rs represented almost 5% of the total attendance. It was a sincere honor to stand with all of you who were there. I thank you from the depth of my heart for how you treated AbbyOakley and her brother.

I will forever regret not going to the 2A March but for reasons only important to me (i.e. wife having a surgery) I could not commit to going. I too am a relatively new gun owner and I too was a sheep just a few years ago. I have never been an activist but since becoming a gun owner have gone to several political and gun related rallies joined GOAL and NRA. I do what I can to promote 2A and educate people on the laws and the idiocy behind most of them.

I appreciate all of those who had gone to the 2A March. I truly wish I could have been there with you.

You guys rock!

Underwear,

I don't disagree at all with what you wrote. The conclusions you have drawn are the same as mine. My non refundable airfare to the event was booked 6 months ago. Hotel accomodations the same. Two days before the event? I'm passing a kidney stone. No picnic. First time in my life I've ever felt pain like that. Bottom line, I didn't make it and I hate myself. I needed to be there.

Having said all that, I think there were other issues which contributed to the low turn out. For one, inexperience with organizing an event this big. All praise goes to Skip for conceiving the idea and working his heart out to put it all together and make it happen. He did his absolute best and no one can ask for more than that. But it was his first time putting a national event together and he didn't get much help from professional and experienced people. That hurt him.

Perhaps there were also poor choices made in the selection of state coordinators as well. Personally, I saw only one post here from the MA state coordinator and I was the one to direct her to this site. I saw no posts from the coordinators of any of the other New England states despite the fact that NES is the premier site for gun owners in the Northeast region. Hell! Derek even stickied the event giving it premier showing! Where were they? Why weren't they recruiting volunteers to at least place posters of the event in every gun range in NE? Why weren't they recruiting people to coordinate travel arrangements, donations, people to generate buzz of the event? As near as I can tell, the NE state coordinators of the event were no-shows.

Another problem was that it was held on a Monday rather than a Saturday. In todays economy with jobs so scarce, people need to be at work if they hope to remain employed. That has to take priority. People have families to feed, bills to pay and mortgage payments to keep current. My guess is that many had to make a personal decision as to their priorities and the 2A march came in second.

Months ago, the organizers learned that a major national rally (Tax Day Tea Party protest April 15 ) was also going to take place in DC just days before the 2A march which had the potential to draw away participants from the 2A march. People have limited funds and limited time off, so there was a real possibility that people would not be able to attend both events. That is exactly what happened. At that time the organizers of the 2A march mulled over the idea of changing the date of their rally. They had that option because there was still enough time to do it. But they chose not to change the date and I think that was a fatal error.

I don't think that the open carry rally in nearby Arlington made much of a difference in the scheme of things. They also didn't have much of a turnout, but they did draw a lot of the media attention away from the 2A march that day. However, that may have been a blessing in disguise because the media would have had a field day showing the low turnout in DC.

Lastly, the NRA SUCKS!! They above all others could have been a driving force behind the 2A march and could have provided so much support to Skip. With all of the money that they receive in donations and memberships, and with their considerable public relations department and organization skills, they could have made the difference. But they sat it out. Screw them! I will NOT renew my membership and they will not get another penny from me.

Lastly, the NRA SUCKS!! They above all others could have been a driving force behind the 2A march and could have provided so much support to Skip. With all of the money that they receive in donations and memberships, and with their considerable public relations department and organization skills, they could have made the difference. But they sat it out. Screw them! I will NOT renew my membership and they will not get another penny from me.

I agree with everything you wrote but in particular the part about NRA. What a slap in the face to all gun owners.

It is neither my place, nor my interest to deprecate anyone. As free adults, you all have your own conscious to deal with.

I simply want to point out one fact - Legislators at every level of government do not fear the voting actions of gun owners because they see no threat.

It matters not that truth and facts are on our side. In their minds, the enacting of policy that makes people feel safer is far more important than policy that ACTUALLY makes them safer.

I don't care why you were not there. I don't want to hear excuses, valid or not. It does not matter. I don't want to know why the recent letter writing campaign didn't bury the state house in letters. The reasons don't matter. Every one of us have regrets that they could not do XYZ. Real life happens and it is foolish and improper to judge anyone based on a single event.

I'll be the first to admit that things are hard right now. I recently expressed my own feelings of failure to be able to step up as I had in the past only to be set straight and reminded that life happens. It sucks to decide if the family gets to go eat out this week or daddy gets to do his "Gun Stuff". Can my parents pick up the kids so I can attend the GOAL Board of Directors meeting. I missed the GOAL annual meeting for the first time in like 8 years so that my Mother-in-law could have a few extra hours with my kids. Decisions have to be made. Your family, your life, and your own pursuit of happiness MUST come first.

Each individual must make those hard decisions. Each family must do what is best for their own health and sanity. In no way would I ever question or even attempt to justify a personal decision as it's none of my business.

However, collectively, one has to wonder where the priorities rank. As was pointed out there appear to be a lot that will talk the talk. But how many will walk the walk. In 1775 it was roughly 3% of the population of the country that truly gave their life, fortune, and sacred honor. Well, on Monday in Washington DC, I saw the 0.000094% of the country that walked the walk.

All I ask is this: At the end of the day, can you look in that mirror and tell yourself honestly "I did what I could today"?

If so, you are doing fine. If not, it might be time to take some time to reorganize your priorities.

Last edited:
...I simply want to point out one fact - Legislators at every level of government do not fear the voting actions of gun owners because they see no threat......

Not true. There is a reason WHY the left hasn't moved on gun control and that's 1994. The backlash from the AWB made the Bush Backlash look like a walk in the park.

Not true. There is a reason WHY the left hasn't moved on gun control and that's 1994. The backlash from the AWB made the Bush Backlash look like a walk in the park.

+1. Despite the fact that we're still getting screwed by the AWB in Mass, the AWB was the catalyst to keep Dems in their place on guns.

Really? And just what firearm related freedom do YOU personally have today that you did not have in the 90's, 80's, 70's... All that has been achieved is a minor ceasefire. Yes, they are pensive about beginning a new offensive, but they are not retreating. We do not scare them to turn and run. They are simply waiting for a hole to appear in our defenses. This is not the time to be complacent.

Really? And just what firearm related freedom do YOU personally have today that you did not have in the 90's, 80's, 70's... All that has been achieved is a minor ceasefire. Yes, they are pensive about beginning a new offensive, but they are not retreating. We do not scare them to turn and run. They are simply waiting for a hole to appear in our defenses. This is not the time to be complacent.

What freedom? Well given that I live in MA, none, but that's a STATE issue and has nothing to do with the federal gov't. But for the REAL America the AWB BS is gone. THAT is huge. Further the BS about no guns in National Parks is gone. Heller struck down a fed enclave's ban on an entire category of guns AND affirmed the 2nd is an individual vs a collective right. We've an excellent chance of Incorporation via Chicago. These are ALL steps in the right direction.

I am in no way suggesting complacency, merely pointing out that we're FAR from toothless - it's the left that would like to convince us that we are.

Another problem was that it was held on a Monday rather than a Saturday. In todays economy with jobs so scarce, people need to be at work if they hope to remain employed. That has to take priority. People have families to feed, bills to pay and mortgage payments to keep current. My guess is that many had to make a personal decision as to their priorities and the 2A march came in second.

Not only a Monday, but a Monday when much of Mass has school vacation for the week, so you're asking people to forgo their one week of spring vacation with the kids for the march. And for those of us without kids, we're often stuck covering for those who are out. I personally couldn't attend because of child care issues - had this been scheduled for Saturday/Sunday instead, I could have arranged for someone to come out for the weekend to take care of it. Overall we need to remember that its a lot easier to get large numbers of the unemployed or college students marching than people with jobs and families.

Months ago, the organizers learned that a major national rally (Tax Day Tea Party protest April 15 ) was also going to take place in DC just days before the 2A march which had the potential to draw away participants from the 2A march. People have limited funds and limited time off, so there was a real possibility that people would not be able to attend both events. That is exactly what happened. At that time the organizers of the 2A march mulled over the idea of changing the date of their rally. They had that option because there was still enough time to do it. But they chose not to change the date and I think that was a fatal error.

100% agree. I care about 2A rights, but I also care about the overall direction of the country, and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that nationwide my 2A rights are far more secure than many others that the current administration seems hell-bent on violating. I can hardly fault others for feeling that overall the Tea Party movement will be more effective in driving the "hope and change" from government that the Second Amendment march.

I paid for a seat on the bus, but because of business trips, couldn't go. I'm pretty ashamed that it worked out this way. I put my money where my mouth is, but not my time.

What freedom? Well given that I live in MA, none, but that's a STATE issue and has nothing to do with the federal gov't. But for the REAL America the AWB BS is gone. THAT is huge. Further the BS about no guns in National Parks is gone. Heller struck down a fed enclave's ban on an entire category of guns AND affirmed the 2nd is an individual vs a collective right. We've an excellent chance of Incorporation via Chicago. These are ALL steps in the right direction.

I am in no way suggesting complacency, merely pointing out that we're FAR from toothless - it's the left that would like to convince us that we are.

Yeah, again I agree with Bob here. Despite my many complaints about the NRA, they have been instrumental in reminding politicians what happens when they mess with 2A rights. The NRA hasn't done anything for the crazy states like MA, NJ, CA, etc., but nationally gun rights are becoming less restrictive. That is good news. Now, we just need to support GOAL in getting H.2259 passed to fix our own mess here.

I agree that complacency is bad, though. We have to keep pushing. I will not be satisfied until we have CCW shall-issue everywhere and full reciprocity.

Great points all...

I was semi-dozing when the bus pulled up to let us off. Mike tapped me on the shoulder and said: "Let's go"... I opened my eyes, went to use the head, (missed the group photo - thanks a lot) and stepped out of the bus expecting to see caravans of them. What I walked out to was a typical DC monday morning - a mix of tourists and suits mulling about. Essentially, we were it....[thinking] Hoping that there was some mistake, or our bus driver knew a secret spot to let us off, we plodded ahead for the park.

When we arrived, the most noticeable group of people, (besides us), were people jogging. I expected to see people camping in the park, or busses lining the streets. What I found was a smattering of workers doing sound checks and setting up QuickShades, (several of which remained empty throughout the event). When I get nervous, sad, angry or depressed, I often joke - it helps ease the stress. As we stood by the monument, I said: "Hope we're not it" "Newsflash: 44 Gun Nuts From Massachusetts The Sole Attendees At The 2nd Amendment March". The joke, hid my disappointment and I continued to hold out faith that we were just early and the masses would soon arrive. They never did.

Around the time the "throngs" of people were supposed to arrive, I walked past an NBC reporter live on camera. I almost shouted: "Bababooey! Bababooey!" - my one big chance, but did not. Instead, I leaned in to listen - hoping she was reporting about the beltway being backed up by tour busses. She was reporting about a Senate finance subcommittee meeting. I should have grabbed my chance at Bababooey fame, but I did not - my heart began to sink. I remained lifted throughout the day talking to folks from other forums - one from across the river who only had a few dozen members show. I also talked to Dick Heller - not even knowing until he got on stage who he was. I got interviewed by CBC, CNN, (Soledad is pretty damned hot), a few newspapers and as it turned out - a producer for Al Jazeera. I searched for any signs of Fox News and watched the NRA set up shop - well away from the crowd. My thoughts on the National Rifle Association are not stuff of legend per se, but they are well documented here, so I'll not waste anymore keystrokes on that joke of an organization.

I was also lifted by the likes of the "High Energy Abbey Oakley", who drifted through the crowd - engaging anyone and everyone - even a Presidential motorcade and snapped a pic, (which I have yet to post), of a little boy in a coon-skin cap and a toy flintlock, pointing up at the snipers on the rooftop. I was blessed to listen to impassioned speakers and take a quick nap in the sunshine. I got to have lunch with Mike - a true friend and patriot and toast a few Yuenglings on the ride home. But I was left with this sinking feeling, that at least for our generation - the 2nd Amendment is lost...It may well be time to pass the flag to Abbey - it seems she and her brother, (who is still NES handle-challenged [wink]) - get it.... Many of you simply are too wrapped up in apathy to bear the colors further....

Last edited:
What freedom? Well given that I live in MA, none, but that's a STATE issue and has nothing to do with the federal gov't.

BINGO. Reread my post, I said legislators at ALL levels. And don't think for a second if the opening presents itself that those in Washington are not ready to move on it.

But for the REAL America the AWB BS is gone. THAT is huge.

So, a great victory is seen in allowing a law to sunset? So, your argument for our victory is that Congress did nothing? Oh my....

Further the BS about no guns in National Parks is gone.

And in some states, the state level legislators are moving to enact their own bans. Remember, the rule says "if the states allow". Yes, it is a nice change, but it now shifts the target to the states, it does not eliminate the problem. Sure, there are some states where this won't be an issue, but it's not free and clear by any means.

Heller struck down a fed enclave's ban on an entire category of guns AND affirmed the 2nd is an individual vs a collective right. We've an excellent chance of Incorporation via Chicago.

Court decisions have very little to do with how legislators act. How many times have courts struck down seatbelt laws only to have legislatures reinstate them again? I agree that these are HUGE, but we've already seen our own state courts ignore Heller and McDonald and rule against the rights of a MA citizen in the Runyan case.

These are ALL steps in the right direction.

In no way have I said anything to the point we are toothless. The very fact that the opposition is not actively pressing their campaign is proof of that. But you are not seeing legislators at any level actively seeking to restore the rights of firearm owners because we have threatened their job. Oh, places like Montana have passed some really nice things to tell the Feds to go jump, but that wasn't because of the voters, but the very feelings of the people in power there. State and Federal legislators might have some trepidation about attacking at the moment, but they do not fear us enough to alter any of the abuses we currently suffer. While every state legislator seems to agree that having 351 different standards to get a gun license is wrong, I'm not seeing a majority of them pushing reform on the fast track like they did with Chapter 180 of the acts of 1998. I guess while the abuse of power is technically wrong, it's not that bad.

The Left are not convincing us we are toothless. They seem to have convinced you that because they are not attacking, they are not a threat.

Last edited:
BINGO. Reread my post, I said legislators at ALL levels. And don't think for a second if the opening presents itself that those in Washington are not ready to move on it.

But for the REAL America the AWB BS is gone. THAT is huge.

So, a great victory is seen in allowing a law to sunset? So, your argument for our victory is that Congress did nothing? Oh my....

Further the BS about no guns in National Parks is gone.

And in some states, the state level legislators are moving to enact their own bans. Remember, the rule says "if the states allow". Yes, it is a nice change, but it now shifts the target to the states, it does not eliminate the problem. Sure, there are some states where this won't be an issue, but it's not free and clear by any means.

Heller struck down a fed enclave's ban on an entire category of guns AND affirmed the 2nd is an individual vs a collective right. We've an excellent chance of Incorporation via Chicago.

Court decisions have very little to do with how legislators act. How many times have courts struck down seatbelt laws only to have legislatures reinstate them again? I agree that these are HUGE, but we've already seen our own state courts ignore Heller and McDonald and rule against the rights of a MA citizen in the Runyan case.

In no way have I said anything to the point we are toothless. The very fact that the opposition is not actively pressing their campaign is proof of that. But you are not seeing legislators at any level actively seeking to restore the rights of firearm owners because we have threatened their job. Oh, places like Montana have passed some really nice things to tell the Feds to go jump, but that wasn't because of the voters, but the very feelings of the people in power there. State and Federal legislators might have some trepidation about attacking at the moment, but they do not fear us enough to alter any of the abuses we currently suffer. While every state legislator seems to agree that having 351 different standards to get a gun license is wrong, I'm not seeing a majority of them pushing reform on the fast track like they did with Chapter 180 of the acts of 1998. I guess while the abuse of power is technically wrong, it's not that bad.

The Left are not convincing us we are toothless. They seem to have convinced you that because they are not attacking, they are not a threat.

Um, excuse me, but did you even bother to read my posts? We're in agreement.

Speaking for myself... Underwhere you are right. I wished I had planned it better so I could have attended this event but I waited last minute and could not get the time off due to someone else taking the time.

But, it's hard for me to think at a national level considering what is going in my own backyard. From trying to support GOAL and emailing those jerks to release H2259 (and other legislation) to trying to help Hudak who is running for my district, who has an A GOAL rating. I think the Tea Party stole it's thunder. Now if we could get a March like that in Mass to me that would have a greater impact for us.

No excuse, just how I feel. Thank you to those who attended the march.

If I could weigh in on the issue, and I am not looking for any thanks nor am I some kind of glory hound, I was a bit disheartened myself. When I first heard about this, I didn't plan on making it, I scheduled it. I also scheduled myself to help instruct the Appleseed that weekend knowing full well what it meant, serious lack of sleep. I scheduled it with my work putting in for the vacation time 4 months ago. I gave the last 50 bucks I had to spare to the money bomb, which was a disappointment in it self.

Once we finally took to the grounds of the event I had this very conversation with UW about the Armchair Activist's. It was to the point where the bus ride was FREE and we couldn't even fill it. I am not throwing mud at anyone for not being able to make it, but I sure did expect that there would have been more people that could have taken one day out of their lives to stand and use your rights, it would have cost only the amount of feeding yourselves, I think I spent 40 bucks and I bought a few souvenirs. The money bomb was modest, they wanted to make 50,000 dollars, didn't even come close to half that. If you couldn't have gone, at least throw 5 bucks at the cause. There were even posts in the threads organizing this bus ride (thanks a million to kiver) comparing this march to the gay lesbian alliance march. ON A GUN FORUM? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I came to realization after the turn out from the Appleseed weekend, 50ish instead of the 90+ registered, and the disappointing show of support for our rights that we are surrounded by "summer solders and sunshine patriots", to quote Thomas Paine.

Again, as I have written in the other threads, THANK YOU fellow patriots that stood with us and thank you to all who donated to the cause.

Ed

The Internet is a remarkable communications tool, and given the way people work and live today, it may be that the usefulness of a physical demonstration in Washington is not as
big as it once was. It's a lot of transportation and moving people around, but ultimately it's trying to gain media coverage in the hopes that will get attention that will somehow have an effect on other people and lawmakers. But there are more direct ways to do this today. I think that we've had some very effective action coordinated from this forum, on state issues, such as the letter writing campaigns and people
physically showing up at the state house for committee meetings, and raising money for GOAL (I've done all of these).

Kids today do everything via text and email. I work from home and use email and video and audio conferencing tools. I don't watch network news. I think it is possible to be effective and persuasive today, and stir people to put pressure on their legislators directly, without necessarily having a traditional event, and in fact the traditional network media, with their five second sound bites and vacuous reporters may really be supplanted by these
more democratic bottom-up kinds of networks. In other words, cutting out the big media middlemen, and talking directly to other people, friends, relatives, facebook acquiantances. This is the future of activism, let's use the new tools most effectively.

Excellent sentiments and articulately presented by all..... I looked at our turnout from a little different angle. Not that this mitigates the poor response or apparent lack of interest nationally. But, NES'rs represented almost 5% of the total attendance. It was a sincere honor to stand with all of you who were there. I thank you from the depth of my heart for how you treated AbbyOakley and her brother.

I can't speak for Underwhere, but I was referring to the relatively small turnout in total at the march itself. I realize not all NESers are retired and that many who wanted to go had to bail because of last minute circumstances. However, all members of this forum have an opportunity to express their support for the movement by making a small donation to the SAM Fund. See my post #3 in this thread for the link. They have made it very easy to donate even $5/month for a year on a credit card. C'mon guys that won't even by a good drink.

The turnout made me sad. IMO, all it did was make us look like a bunch of nuts. I'm not going to sit here and complain about it any more than that, though. I'm sure the people that could have gone but didn't feel guilty enough as it is, as I do whenever I miss out on an opportunity to speak out because of lack of motivation or commitment or whatever it is that makes me falter in my convictions from time to time. All we can do is try to be better people than we are. We shouldn't tear apart our own on these catholic-style guilt trips, all it does IMO is continue to lower morale.

I too was disappointed by the turnout on Monday. You can blame gov't or the NRA or these or those all you want, and you might even find FAULT here and there, but the RESPONSIBILITY is still each and every one's. Other people's or organization's actions or inactions does nothing to remove YOUR responsibility to take part in this fight for future generation's rights and freedoms.

If everyone did a little, we wouldn't have to worry about this. Getting frustrated with others, and quitting the NRA is exactly the opposite of what to do. I think it better to continue with the NRA, but spend a little more with GOA or JPFO or something. And tell them that.

This isn't about you or me, it's about whether your great-grandchildren will live like we do, or like they do in China - cuz that's where we're headed.

So, then on Tuesday I went over to Arlington National Cemetery and saw the price that some others have paid. Many gave their last full measure. The grounds are bigger than I can walk, and every few feet there is another countryman who did more than I have. I should do more.

Do what you can, and stop arguing about every GD little thing. Take young people to the range. The clubs I belong to are filled with mostly aging white men. We need everyone in this fight. A couple people in this thread say that they were recently sheep, and have now learned better - add me to that list. Talk to sheep, talk to liberals (about guns and rights NOT about Obama or whatever rant of the day), and bring them to the range. We need everyone in this fight. Stop whining that liberals won't listen - some will. If we are right, then we can win almost everyone over. And we ARE right.

I'm glad I made it there. I'm glad for the people who made it. I hope it happens every year. I'll happily go again. And again...

When we don't show like that it sends an even worse message to the Pols. That we really will stay home and we don't care. Absolutely true that 90% of us gun owners are lazy. We (sometimes) pay the NRA and then we sit around and BS to each other about how awful the anti's are. The difference is they do something. What's that quote about "a few good men doing nothing"? It is so true. I scream at my 2A friends all the time. Not one sends a letter, or makes a call. I asked them all to go to the march. None went. They just gripe and gripe.

MassBites,

I agree.

I also agree with the comments of those who wish more were able to attend. Once the event was committed too, it should have gotten greater support.

I do think that the three biggest factors in the low response are...

1) Protest overload (including conflicts with Tax Day event). This includes financial overload (the inability to afford time off and expenses of multiple efforts).
- I think many people are trying to decide where to invest their time and are choosing the Tea Party as being the events with the most likely impact.

2) Monday vs Saturday AND school vacation week. I suspect this combined with #1 really hurt.

3) Inexperienced organizers. I think the most successful of these types of events have significant funding in advance, feature mini-trade shows of vendors (to attract and sustain attendees), and have individuals or organizations involved that will help generate attendance and promotion.

If you're going to bash the NRA you are ignorant about a whole lot of things. I don't believer you'd be able to own what you own if it weren't for the NRA.

MassBites,

I agree.

I also agree with the comments of those who wish more were able to attend. Once the event was committed too, it should have gotten greater support.

I do think that the three biggest factors in the low response are...

1) Protest overload (including conflicts with Tax Day event). This includes financial overload (the inability to afford time off and expenses of multiple efforts).
- I think many people are trying to decide where to invest their time and are choosing the Tea Party as being the events with the most likely impact.

2) Monday vs Saturday AND school vacation week. I suspect this combined with #1 really hurt.

3) Inexperienced organizers. I think the most successful of these types of events have significant funding in advance, feature mini-trade shows of vendors (to attract and sustain attendees), and have individuals or organizations involved that will help generate attendance and promotion.

While I agree with points 1&2 all we can hope for is that better choices are made next year. As for #3, there is something that we can all do right now to assure better organization by the march originators by helping to provide the funds necessary to launch a more well organized march next year. They have made it very easy to donate to their cause. You can send a lump sum or have a monthly amount taken out of your credit card for as many months as you choose up to 12. $5/ month is #60 dollars a year. I figured the amount it costs me to spend a day shooting trap and have that amount being sent each month for the next 12 months. I can forego trapshooting one day a month. For a link to their donation page see the link I provided in post #3 of this thread.

Last edited:
While I agree with points 1&2 all we can hope for is that better choices are made next year. As for #3, there is something that we can all do right now to assure better organization by the march originators by helping to provide the funds necessary to launch a more well organized march next year. They have made it very easy to donate to their cause. You can send a lump sum or have a monthly amount taken out of your credit card for as many months as you choose up to 12. $5/ month is #60 dollars a year. I figured the amount it costs me to spend a day shooting trap and have that amount being sent each month for the next 12 months. I can forego trapshooting one day a month. For a link to their donation page see the link I provided in post #3 of this thread.

I aboslutely agree. The time to start planning for next year is NOW, even as current debts are getting taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom