The Second Amendment March: A shameful showing of how we couldn't pull the trigger

All good points here. I'd like to add what I believe is another major reason why the attendance was low. Take a look at how many States have oppressive gun laws. Not all are like MA, NY, NJ, CA, IL. I think there are a lot of "satisfied", "complacent" gun owners who have what they want. Everyone out there has different needs and lots of folks are happy with a long gun or two for hunting or maybe just a handgun in the nightstand with no CC.

A guy ain't gonna come all the way from AZ or UT for a rally in DC unless his cage is being rattled and right now it ain't. As far as these types are concerned the NRA is GOD and is taking care of them.

I just spent my .02 cents.

I was disappointed as well with the turn out, but very glad I went and was counted among those willing to stand up for what they believe in. I joined GOA at the event, and had a great day in the city with my Father and Brother. I'll certainly be attending next year, should there be another. I have hopes that there is another event, and that they learn from this year's event to draw a larger crowd. A lot of very good points were made that add up to low numbers for this year. My thanks and appreciation go out to those who attended the march.

I paid for a seat on the bus, but because of business trips, couldn't go. I'm pretty ashamed that it worked out this way. I put my money where my mouth is, but not my time.

Same here. No excuses. I talked the talk, paid the piper, couldn't go due to work and didn't walk the walk. Wish I could of, but it didn't happen. I'm more mad at myself because I didn't do what I said I would do. I hate that. Doesn't matter why.

Same here. No excuses. I talked the talk, paid the piper, couldn't go due to work and didn't walk the walk. Wish I could of, but it didn't happen. I'm more mad at myself because I didn't do what I said I would do. I hate that. Doesn't matter why.

In my mind you were there Troy and here's why: I had planned to go with another NES member, (we were going to drive down). A family matter came up for him and I had no way to get there, (I don;t trust my car that far right now). Your vacant seat allowed me the opportunity to go....

Having been unemployed for far too long and finally back to work prevented me from going. I knew this was going to be the case and didn't pretend that I could attend. I am not big on letter writing and freely admit that I don't know jack about computer technology aside from turning it on. I made the calls for the GOAL bill and will do so in the future.

While preparing for an upcoming medical issue, we paid the mortgage early and have had creditors calling non-stop looking for theirs. It's not their fault and I took every lump I had coming. Keeping a roof over our heads and food in the fridge is priority one and if I had to sell guns to help out I would, those are just the facts. I appreciate all who took the time to go and speak for those who can't, I am not able to do these things at this time.

After I hang up on the NRA, I have to head to the hospital to visit with my best friend.

Underwhere, I agree with you, MassMark, and many others here.

As we got closer to the bus sign up cut off date I didn't know whether I was going to go or not, and I told myself that I -had- to do it, and that was that.... I just felt like I needed to do something. I am glad I went, I would do it again at the drop of a hat.

Internally I was hoping that things would heat up leading up to the date and the bus would be filled easily, and we would have had to conjure up a convoy or another bus to get more people down there. I figure NES at least could have filled up a couple of bus-fuls of people, especially considering this was open to the whole member base, not just paid members. I'm kind of mystified at the low turnout. [sad2]

Hopefully at the national level if there is a next time they will be able to use a little more strategy (different date, perhaps on a saturday?) and get some more funding and more sponsors. I also agree with Ed that the proximity to the Tea Party events didn't help much, either.

-Mike

My thanks and appreciation to those who were able to attend and did so. It would have been gratifying to have had a huge turnout, but it didn't happen. The important point is for everyone to do something. Someway, somehow, all gunowners can work to further the cause. I hope that people who are able to contribute some money to the SAM do so. Otherwise, the organizer(s) will be left hanging.

I've been out of work since Thanksgiving and couldn't even afford the $5 a month let alone go on this trip. I'm sorry if people think I don't care about the Second Amendment but that's certainly not the case. Things will be different in the coming year because a week from this coming Monday I'll finally be back to work.[thumbsup][thumbsup]

If you're going to bash the NRA you are ignorant about a whole lot of things. I don't believer you'd be able to own what you own if it weren't for the NRA.

Really? Were you there? Did you witness the aloofness of the NRA at this event? Can you point out where the NRA supported, advertised, assisted, or even spoke about the 2nd Amendment March? While you're here, please enlighten us as to the National Rifle Associations 'efforts' to prevent the GCA of '68' the NFA manufacture ban in '86', the '89' Import Ban, the '94' Assault Weapons Ban and most recently, DC/Heller...Let us know while you're at it, exactly how the NRA has supported us being "allowed to own what we own". Please, I've been begging for a debate on this forever...Let's roll...

Really? Were you there? Did you witness the aloofness of the NRA at this event? Can you point out where the NRA supported, advertised, assisted, or even spoke about the 2nd Amendment March? While you're here, please enlighten us as to the National Rifle Associations 'efforts' to prevent the GCA of '68' the NFA manufacture ban in '86', the '89' Import Ban, the '94' Assault Weapons Ban and most recently, DC/Heller...Let us know while you're at it, exactly how the NRA has supported us being "allowed to own what we own". Please, I've been begging for a debate on this forever...Let's roll...

While you've got a right to grind that axe, and I agree with you wholeheartedly, We've got ourselves stuck with this rich and powerful lobbying group called the NRA. It's basically all we have on a national scope with any clout. Too bad, huh?

I also am upset with the NRA. I am not sure of their, if any, involvement in this event. I have a Freinds of the NRA banquet on the 30th and I will bring it to peoples attention

I am confused about the NRA ad on the SAM website. I wonder if there may of been some contribution by them. I really hope so

I too was disappointed in the meager turnout at this "demonstration". It certainly did not send a very compelling message to our politicians. Fortunately Georgia sent 400 and Ohio sent three busloads. If not for that, the turnout would have been even more embarrassing. One would think that Massachusetts, with our repressive gun regulations, would have mustered a more impressive showing. I don't know what the turnout was for the OC gathering in Virginia.....
As Underwhere pointed out, the the march organizers are in the RED for this march. We owe them our support.
I am sending a donation to the SAM. I would urge all of our members to also contribute whatever they can.

According to the Boston Phoenix article in another thread, the two rallies didnt have 1,000 people combined. As for the donation, I gave them all the money I had left before we got on the bus. I completely forgot about tipping the bus driver. Thanks for the info on the 12 month plan. I think I am gonna set that up because I would love to see this happen next year.

Lastly, the NRA SUCKS!! They above all others could have been a driving force behind the 2A march and could have provided so much support to Skip. With all of the money that they receive in donations and memberships, and with their considerable public relations department and organization skills, they could have made the difference. But they sat it out. Screw them! I will NOT renew my membership and they will not get another penny from me.

I mostly agree with you here. I am very disappointed with the NRA for their piss poor performance on Monday. I entered into an agreement with them where I would pay $25 every 3 months for 10 years on the Easy Pay Life program and I will honor that, but they wont get one extra cent from me. I just joined GOA and they will get my donations for now.

I think it better to continue with the NRA, but spend a little more with GOA or JPFO or something. And tell them that.

I'm glad I made it there. I'm glad for the people who made it. I hope it happens every year. I'll happily go again. And again...

I agree. When I filled out my GOA application they asked something to the effect of why I was joining GOA and I told them because of their involvement in Mondays event. I am going to write to the NRA and let them know that they will get the balance of the EPL, but nothing else. I don't expect to hear back from them though.

I do hope this happens again. I will be there as long as the Navy doesn't have other plans.

Did you witness the aloofness of the NRA at this event? Can you point out where the NRA supported, advertised, assisted, or even spoke about the 2nd Amendment March?

I know a lot of people are not happy with the NRA, but I never "got it" until Monday. I am completely disgusted. I only joined the NRA a few years ago because it was free for the year. I didn't own a gun, but I liked what I "thought" they did. Boy was I wrong, and I see what you and many others see.

I also am upset with the NRA. I am not sure of their, if any, involvement in this event. I have a Freinds of the NRA banquet on the 30th and I will bring it to peoples attention

I am confused about the NRA ad on the SAM website. I wonder if there may of been some contribution by them. I really hope so

if there was i will semi-recant my other comments, HOWEVER, even if there was a donation they made no effort whatsoever at the SAM that i could see other than to try and get more members. THEY are the ones who should have been running it, not having a lousy sign-up booth.

Last edited:
if there was i will semi-recant my other comments, HOWEVER, even if there was they made no effort whatsoever at the SAM that i could see other than to try and get more members. THEY are the ones who should have been running it, not having a lousy sign-up booth.

and I agree.......Good meeting you MBB......

Press release from the SAM website

NRA Receives Heartfelt Thanks
Submitted by robert_kreisler on Sat, 02/20/2010 - 23:10

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Second Amendment March
www.secondamendmentmarch.com

NRA RECEIVES HEARTFELT THANKS

Delton MI, February 18 2010 – Today the Second Amendment March publicly thanked the National Rifle Association (NRA) for its assistance in promoting the march through online announcements.

“This is a pivotal time not just for gun owners, but for the entire country. On behalf of the SAM, I wish to thank the NRA-ILA for agreeing to send out periodic reminders about the march to its members.” said Skip Coryell, founder of the march. “We understand that NRA has a lot on its plate and we fully acknowledge the value this relationship presents. I hope it’s one which will blossom in the weeks and months to come.”

The NRA-ILA announcement can be found online at http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5401

Coryell, a US Marine Corps veteran, invoked the memory of Benjamin Franklin when he indicated that gun rights activists must hang together in these turbulent times. “We’re in a dangerous period right now in America, and it helps to have friends in high places,” said Coryell. “The entire SAM Board Of Directors wishes to extend our sincere gratitude to NRA for stepping forward and taking a leadership position on this event.”

The Second Amendment March is a non-profit (501c4 pending) nonpartisan organization founded to petition our petition officials against establishing anti-gun legislation, regulations or other encroachments in the form of treaties, and to appeal for a reduction in anti-gun controls. Visit the Second Amendment March online at www.secondamendmentmarch.com for more information.

Whoop de friggen dooo

Last edited:
Thanks, Kiver. I think we need to translate that though. Maybe the glass IS half full. I'm not sure. I still believe the NRA could have done better and now, after the fact, and after getting chastised by some members in public, it is trying to get back into it's members graces. SMA is giving the NRA the benefit of the doubt and probably wisely. They might get the honey pot next time.

Press release from the SAM website

Whoop de friggen dooo

I agree, they call that a leadership position? sending out a few reminders? i don't remember seeing one in the newsletter just before the event.

methinks SAM people just don't want to burn any bridges

great to meet you too Kiver, now if i can just start thinking of your id they way you say it would be great... :)

Last edited:
I thought about it, but I'm not going to a place that forces me to disarm. Sure, I have to visit the post office, court houses, and college campuses occasionally. And I disarm before I go there.

I'm not about to board a bus in Boston, without a means to protect myself, and be without said means of protection for 36 or 48 hours. Sorry.

If y'all want to organize a Second Amendment protest in Manchester, NH, send me a PM.

They sent some emails. [rolleyes] Mark the only arguement you will get is that the rights you enjoy today were somehow "saved" by the NRA and you should be grateful. I'm of the opinion that if they had been fighting the right fight all along we'd be in better shape. "Compromise" is the best description I can come up with. Well some things you just can't compromise with.

I'm glad I went and I plan on going next year. For those who regret not going this year, start saving for next year. As soon as the date is announced, put in for vacation.

I planned time off around the date and didn't spend a whole lot of money and had a great little vacation. My kids are grown, but if they were not, I would have brought them.

If you wish you were there, start planning for next year.

Sounds like they sent out email blasts.... whoopty do. Anyone know if there were ads for it in any of the NRA rags? (I'm a member (someone got me a membership) but I never bothered to select a magazine yet).

-Mike

I thought about it, but I'm not going to a place that forces me to disarm. Sure, I have to visit the post office, court houses, and college campuses occasionally. And I disarm before I go there.

I'm not about to board a bus in Boston, without a means to protect myself, and be without said means of protection for 36 or 48 hours. Sorry.

If y'all want to organize a Second Amendment protest in Manchester, NH, send me a PM.

This.

F*ck DC. It's a cesspool. let's see 1,000 armed patriots in a place where freedom still has a snowball's chance in hell.

Sounds like they sent out email blasts.... whoopty do. Anyone know if there were ads for it in any of the NRA rags? (I'm a member (someone got me a membership) but I never bothered to select a magazine yet).
I don't recall seeing them in past issues of American Rifleman, but there is an interview in this months issue with "Uncle Ted" with more of his lip-service.

Back
Top Bottom