The shotgun

Wildweasel

NES Member
The old model 37 20 gauge was fast asleep in the dark tight confines of the gunsafe when it was shaken awake from its 6 year slumper.
It saw the light of a fine autum day once more, it was the boy , now older and a little worse for wear as was the gun itself. They where soon headed down the road to the fields where first his father when he came back from the USMC in 53, and then his uncle back from the usmc and 2 tours in a far off place called vietnam and then the boy back from keeping the Russians at bay for 4 years.

No dog was with us, as the last hunting Spainel had passed away last year yet here we where looking for our elusive prey. the Boy wasn't quite so fast going up the hills nor going down but his hunters eyes where busy. He had to be the bird dog as his father often had him do when a hunting dog tired or needed some help in hard cover. we truged through many of the same fields as we the model 37 had for the last 53 years carried much the same way.

The shadows where getting longer when they crested the large dirt hill placed there from the gravel excavation, (that was new!) and they took in the fall spendor in front of them once more, and breathed in the fresh country air.
We stood and listened and could hear a familer sound but where yet unsure.
after a time to rest the Lad desended the steep part of the hill, Yet suddenly
out of the side of the grass exploded a biege ball of feathers streaking towards the sky!

Before the 37 knew what happened it lept to the shoulder of the boy and snapped off a shot almost as fast as could be seen, yet slower than the many times in the past 27 years and with a roar the no 6 pellets flew true. the bird crashed to the ground. the boy took a breath and held the shotgun close .
although he had done the same hundreds of time every flush and shot was new and exciting.

They went and collected thier prize and too soon it was time to go, but the game pouch was heavy with the Hen Pheasent and the ol 37 had once again proven to the boy it could do what none of his other shotguns could do . Provide a magic door to stand with his father once more and hunt the fall fields.

RIP dad it has been too long.

Thanks. the Ithaca 37 Featherwieght was bought by dad in 53 when he got out of the USMC he hunted with it till I was in HS and my uncle used it , I used it and my nephew and my son. it is old and the finish has seen better days butit has allways been one of those Perfect fitting guns you think about it and it does it. But it has taken countless birds and many deer.

My franchi broke on the first day of the season and out came the ol 37 for the rest of the season now likly the rest of my days hunting. it is just too right for me now. the infatuation with the 12ga and the Auto guns is gone, the simplicity of the pump 20 and the wieght is perfect for me once again.
(I have had many surgurys since I last shot or used the 20. )

It felt fitting to write the above, as a tribute to our unseen partners. (the shotgun and our ghosts.. ) I wasn't alone that day I had several great hunting dogs we have had over the years and my dad wispering in my ear to "get your head down on the stock boy!"

Back
Top Bottom