• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA deer shotgun season

rogerk

NES Member
Unseasonably warm opener. Any of you put eyes on a shooter/freezer filler? My guess is the rut has come and gone, all that excitement goes towards archery season.

I’ll head out tomorrow to a WMA and test my luck. First time doing a public land hunt so mentally preparing to see a clown-show.

Unseasonably warm opener. Any of you put eyes on a shooter/freezer filler? My guess is the rut has come and gone, all that excitement goes towards archery season.

I’ll head out tomorrow to a WMA and test my luck. First time doing a public land hunt so mentally preparing to see a clown-show.
I had a buck chasing a doe in my back yard this past Saturday. The peak of the rut is behind us but anything can happen still.

Last edited:

I'm a mass resident but lucky enough to live right on the nh border. Nh muzzle loader starts end of October and fire arm season opened Nov 8. Can use guns all during the rut. My son and I have one deer each in nh and still got till Sunday (yeah....and Sunday hunting is legal) to try for another one. Heading out today actually. Mass can take its stupid 2 week shotgun season and stuff it up its ass. I have mass license but won't go out during shotgun season. If I'm bored later on during the muzzle loader season I may take the Thompson center for a stroll.....but I'd say this may be my last year even buying a mass hunting license.

Tail end of rut still rolling....I haven't seen any deer around but guys with cams have a few bucks in the dark hours as usual, and that is the indication, as in Sept/Oct their cams show nothing, or the occasional doe.

Depending where you hunt Eastern MA will likely be a clown show because there is no where to hunt with a gun......at least there's some deer around though.

WMA's in my area, barely anyone hunting. Barely any deer as well though, I sat out yesterday morning and did not hear one shot. 15 years ago there would have been 10 -15 shots easily, which means 2 things, there are probably less people hunting and there are also definately less deer, because I don't see any deer around my house anymore.

Its tough to tell how many hunting, because like me there are many people that just walk out of the back of their house and hunt, you wont see them on the side of the road parked.

Come Saturday there will be a few large groups around town, with Zone 10 doe permits, doing drives to try and scare up brown is down........because any locals that have been sitting all week probably haven't scored yet, these yahoos all get together and drive and shoot anything they see running.

Last edited:
I'm a mass resident but lucky enough to live right on the nh border. Nh muzzle loader starts end of October and fire arm season opened Nov 8. Can use guns all during the rut. My son and I have one deer each in nh and still got till Sunday (yeah....and Sunday hunting is legal) to try for another one. Heading out today actually. Mass can take its stupid 2 week shotgun season and stuff it up its ass. I have mass license but won't go out during shotgun season. If I'm bored later on during the muzzle loader season I may take the Thompson center for a stroll.....but I'd say this may be my last year even buying a mass hunting license.
The only reason I buy a MA lisc is for pheasant hunting now. Deer hunting is an afterthought, and if I have an extra few hours to kill I just walk out back. Putting actual time and effort anymore has been a waste over the last few years for me. I tried hard last two years, with stands, and cameras, and time scouting and hunting, and was very dissapointed at what was out there compared to what used to be out there before I started hunting CT 15 years ago.

My area has 5 deer per mile if we are lucky......if you want to track a buck on snow its a good place to go. Lots of state land to do that on, but very few deer. I know some very good archery hunters who used to score yearly now that are eating tags. And many like me have given up for other states that are better and will never look back.

If I wanted to transition back to a gun hunter mostly who tracked all day long and shot whatever I saw....I probably wouldn't be that disappointed.....but the management around me has been very lackluster over the years. They destroyed the quabbin which was our biggest deer sanctuary and its gone downhill since then......

Last edited:
Saw two yesterday. Both were moving and I couldn't get off a shot. The 2nd was my screw-up. End of the day on a ridge top with oaks but little ground cover so I wasn't expecting much. I was moving too fast and not scanning ahead sufficiently. So, naturally the deer saw me first and ran. Lesson learned.

WMA's in my area, barely anyone hunting. Barely any deer as well though, I sat out yesterday morning and did not hear one shot. 15 years ago there would have been 10 -15 shots easily, which means 2 things, there are probably less people hunting and there are also definately less deer, because I don't see any deer around my house anymore.

With the exception of small pockets they have destroyed the herd in Wmass. The lack of road kill during the heart rut was really incredible.

I remember when you couldn’t get a motel reservation anywhere in the Berkshires this week and next if you didn’t book them a year in advance.

I was having the glory days of deer hunting conversation with my 19 year old yesterday. The WMA we hunt only had four hunters all day and one guy took a small button… a few shots early and then at night. Five years ago I fought for the last parking spot… now I’m usually the only guy… on a huge property. I did recruit a new hunter that was at the range so maybe this weekend we can score. Deer or no deer I’ll walk my shotgun and muzzleloader and enjoy the peace and quiet and hunting with my kid. Deer are a bonus.

I was having the glory days of deer hunting conversation with my 19 year old yesterday. The WMA we hunt only had four hunters all day and one guy took a small button… a few shots early and then at night. Five years ago I fought for the last parking spot… now I’m usually the only guy… on a huge property. I did recruit a new hunter that was at the range so maybe this weekend we can score. Deer or no deer I’ll walk my shotgun and muzzleloader and enjoy the peace and quiet and hunting with my kid. Deer are a bonus.

Head to southern RI. I'm always amazed at the deer on teh side of 95 near teh CT border.

I'm wondering how many wma properties have low deer numbers due to the fact that recreation other than hunting is allowed. Ffs 15 years ago when I'd hit a mass wma for squirrel in mid September there was nobody there. Last year I went to a mass wma for squirrel in September and it was like a f***ing mountain bike super highway! Had to jump off the hunter trail to let bikes go by about 10 times! Some gave me a strange look as they went by.....me with an orange hat and a shotgun over my shoulder. Then I discovered new bike trails being beaten down all over the place. The f***ing signs in the parking lot specifically say you can't make new trails too. I wish all states were like louisiana......you cannot enter a wma unless your a licensed hunter.

I live just outside New Bedford and we are infested with deer. Archery guys were cleaning house up until recently. A member of my gun club was at 3 a month into bow season.
I wasn’t exactly next door, but did check out Wilmer and hock swamp outside Taunton today. Plenty of deer shit and about a dozen stands in a circle jerk, but didn’t see a single rub or buck bed.
my takeaway is the doe numbers are decent, but that’s it. I have a zone 10 antlerless so it didn’t matter much if I did cross paths with a doe.

When you say infested, is most of what you see 2 year olds and does?

Not one cent contributed by the dog walker, bird watches or mountain bikers and we get the dirty looks. Also zero enforcement on the leash law from what I have seen.
Dog off leash is what made me call it a day today. The dog crossed paths with me and I asked the owner which way they were headed. I doubled back to give them time to work their way out to the parking lot and about an hour later that same dog comes crashing through the thickets with his nose on my trail. I hope the owner wises up before the weekend

Dog off leash is what made me call it a day today. The dog crossed paths with me and I asked the owner which way they were headed. I doubled back to give them time to work their way out to the parking lot and about an hour later that same dog comes crashing through the thickets with his nose on my trail. I hope the owner wises up before the weekend
They don't care. They even know it's deer season but in their pompous brains think that it's their land not the hunters are in their way.

Was simply scouting today and coming over the top of a hill I see a dog off leash with an orange cover and owner with an orange cap. I just had on an orange cap and as soon as he saw me at 150 yds he called his dog and rushed off towards the opposite direction into the woods. I thought it was odd behavior but maybe his dog was not adequately trained yet around other humans in the field. Looked to be a younger brittany or irish springer.

Last edited:
I live just outside New Bedford and we are infested with deer. Archery guys were cleaning house up until recently. A member of my gun club was at 3 a month into bow season.
This...its a tale of two states...in the east you guys have deer......but I'm guessing you have to deal with a lot of people too when hunting. Infested is probably private lands.

My guess, State land probably not quite as much. Insurance companies have gotten unlimited doe permits passed in your area to make sure your state lands will certainly not be good hunting in the coming years. But there will always be private sanctuary that is unhuntable that that holds deer. Some of those deer will filter out onto state land.....kinda what happened out here with the Quabbin closed areas until they fxcking destroyed it.

Guys that get access to private will have a goldmine....that's what they've done in CT, as the state land there has gone way downhill as well. Although, during state land shotgun, CT does manage land areas by quota, which is a good practice IMHO.

In the N Central/west MA where there is lots of land to hunt.....tough to even see a deer. Better on private, but not anywhere near what I'd consider good. The one good thing though, is there are generally not a lot of people, even mountain bike a**h***s and dog walker fags. State land behind my house its not a WMA, and I'm walking in from my house, and I haven't seen anyone in years.

Last edited:
My buddy is on private and this jackass always walks his dog off leash, with no orange on either of them, like every year for this is now the third year in a row. He's told this guy every time, that he's on private land, and he's hunting and could he please not walk his dog in here. Both times last two years......the guy ignores him and keeps walking.

Now, he takes it as he's fxcking with him on opening day and third strike your out.......... This year, the guy/dog got to within 20 yards and he let a slug fly into the dirt (obviously not at the guy so we are clear, just tapped one off in the opposite direction) .......he said the guy might have finally got the message, as he ran off like his ass was on fire.

Said next time he sees him he's getting trespassed/hunter harrassment/whatever as he's done playing nice.

Last edited:
I wish all states were like louisiana......you cannot enter a wma unless your a licensed hunter.
This is how it should be....at the very least during ANY hunting season, you should have to stay the fxck out if your not a licensed hunter.

Go play with yourself on your walk or mountain bike on Sundays for christ sake....as these people already fxck us with that bullshit.

They don't care. They even know it's deer season but in their pompous brains think that it's their land not the hunters are in their way.

It's a Blue state city mentality. My wife, who is pretty conservative, won't go into the woods at all - EVEN ON MARKED TRAILS from now until Christmas, except on Sundays because she might get shot by a hunter. LOL. She thinks that hunters are out to shoot anything and everything and are behind every tree or bush.

It's a Blue state city mentality. My wife, who is pretty conservative, won't go into the woods at all - EVEN ON MARKED TRAILS from now until Christmas, except on Sundays because she might get shot by a hunter. LOL. She thinks that hunters are out to shoot anything and everything and are behind every tree or bush.
In her defense, I probably spent more time looking for other hunters than I did looking for deer signs. I love hunting but I don’t trust the orange army, especially when deer season is the only time they pick up a gun all year

Should have tied him to a tree

In her defense, I probably spent more time looking for other hunters than I did looking for deer signs. I love hunting but I don’t trust the orange army, especially when deer season is the only time they pick up a gun all year
Depends where you are....this is middle week of shotgun season and there is no one parked on any state land near my house this morning. There were a few the last two days but I;m sure lack of shooting/lack of deer/lack of vacation time has them gone til the Saturday at least.

This season especially quiet, I've been coming home after work getting the last hour or so, in for 3 days and not one shot heard hunting til dark. That is fairly amazing.

Depends where you are....this is middle week of shotgun season and there is no one parked on any state land near my house this morning. There were a few the last two days but I;m sure lack of shooting/lack of deer/lack of vacation time has them gone til the Saturday at least.

This season especially quiet, I've been coming home after work getting the last hour or so, in for 3 days and not one shot heard hunting til dark. That is fairly amazing.
Had a big tall spike or 4 pt...non basket, and a doe walk by after someone opened up at Barre Falls across the street from where I was hanging out after work this afternoon. 5 quick shots my guess shooting at the same deer's tails. I let them walk......both of them looked fine and not wounded.

First shots I've heard all week, and of course the first deer I've seen all week.

Back
Top Bottom