The U.S. Army is now less kind and less gentle.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Incentive Physical Training has a benefit all its own...

The regulation includes "specified authority" for noncommissioned officers to correct minor soldier infractions with "brief forms of exercise."
"The changes empower NCOs to lean on non-punitive measures as a form of corrective training to address minor deficiencies," Sgt. Maj. Jasmine Johnson, the command policy sergeant major, said in the release.
According to the regulation, "physical exercises are an acceptable form of corrective training for minor acts of indiscipline (for example, requiring the soldier to do push-ups for arriving late to formation), so long as it does not violate the Army's policies prohibiting hazing, bullying, and unlawful punishment."
Nonpunitive corrective measures can include the denial of pass or other privileges or extra training. The regulation warns that leaders should monitor subordinates to make sure nonpunitive practices don't deteriorate into hazing.

The army stopped smoking people? When?

I'm tall and have red hair, so I drew a lot of attention from DS Cordero and DS Lapasnick. It seemed like I was always getting caught for things I didn't do.

There are worse things than pushups. The one that always killed me was mountainclimbers in the pit. We spent countless mornings on Parris Island waking up to 'Sugar Cookie Surprise' Incentive Training in the sand pit outside our squad bay while it was still pitch black outside. No hygiene afterward...straight to chow and then into training with sand in your ass.

Good. My father law had to move a dirt pile and then got yelled for moving the pile, only to move it back again. [rofl2]

There are worse things than pushups. The one that always killed me was mountainclimbers in the pit. We spent countless mornings on Parris Island waking up to 'Sugar Cookie Surprise' Incentive Training in the sand pit outside our squad bay while it was still pitch black outside. No hygiene afterward...straight to chow and then into training with sand in your ass.

This x 1000. My favorite was when they ran you through the car wash. They had those outdoor shower nozzles on pipes that they would turn on, but they never let you slow down enough to actually wash anything off. It just made it worse.

... countless mornings on Parris Island ...
My daughter-in-law graduated the U.S. Army Drill Sergeant Academy today.
...because the drills were deep in thought...
...I drew a lot of attention from DS Cordero and DS Lapasnick...

I think the article was referencing physical punishment and discipline in units outside of boot camp & basic training.
When the USMC really cracked down on hazing in the mid '90s, all Incentive Physical Training had to be command sanctioned.
Boot camp still had their quarterdeck and pit calisthenics, but the days of NCOs taking offending Marines to the "tree line" or conducting a "wall to wall counseling" were over.
While I was at a training command, we were allowed to assign "mountain pushups" (feet elevated on a tree or rock face) for minor safety infractions.

Yup...push ups help reenforce the need to get right with your thinking....or you will be one strong motherf***er.

Last edited:
I think the article was referencing physical punishment and discipline in units outside of boot camp & basic training.
When the USMC really cracked down on hazing in the mid '90s, all Incentive Physical Training had to be command sanctioned.
Boot camp still had their quarterdeck and pit calisthenics, but the days of NCOs taking offending Marines to the "tree line" or conducting a "wall to wall counseling" were over.
While I was at a training command, we were allowed to assign "mountain pushups" (feet elevated on a tree or rock face) for minor safety infractions.

I went to BCT in 1994, right when people were starting to say things had "gone soft;" I remember DADT was such a new policy that the amnesty "Are you gay?" question they asked at Reception had just been lined out with a sharpie. It was still on the form. They'd just outlawed wall-to-wall and they'd barred drill sergeants from addressing privates using profanity.

The drill sergeants apparently worked around this this by going from "You are a shithead" to "You are behaving like a shithead." Problem solved. They didn't stop wall-to-wall, either; they did shut the door, however.

By the time I got out into the real army, later in the Clinton era, people were still being given plenty of immediate PT.

Pfft. I went to a military school for high school. Pushups as punishment was normal (the other was "facing the wall": nose, knees, and toes touching the wall. It sucked). I didn't think anything of it because back in the day, your superiors could smack the shit out of you. Honestly, I think pushups as punishment is great. The pushup is an outstanding exercise. I remember when I was a platoon sgt, I gave one of my cadets so many pushups that he claims I increased his benchpress by 15 lbs.

Drop and give you 20? Thank you for the exercise drill sergeant!

“Elevate your f***ing feet!!” was the most common English language used on a daily basis in my unit. Outside of morning PT there was no such thing as normal PU’s, when you got dropped, like 30x a day, you had to immediately find the highest point of anything within your immediate area, a table, a desk, a wall, a tree, put your feet up on it and do 50 elevated PU’s. As you grew in the unit they’d usually tell you to recover by the time you got to 30 or so, as long as you yelled with some retarded motivation and started knocking them out smartly to show that you loved it.

I left a 10.00 timex watch unsecured on my dresser one morning before reporting to work, mind you there was a combination lock keeping my room secured on the outside. But SSG had all of our combos for spot inspections and safety.

He came into the shop wiggling the watch over his head and chuckling at me. “Unsecured equipment eh cams?”

“You can keep that SSG, it’s like 10.00 and old AF anyway”
“Oh nooo buddy boy, you WILL earn this back. And you WILL secure every f***ing piece of equipment you own, every day. That is the standard here.”

He took out a piece of chalk, had me stand at attention, and drew a 2’x2’ square around my feet.

His punishment for leaving a watch unsecured (in a locked room mind you) was that my feet were not allowed to leave that chalk square until I did 700 PU’s. No exaggeration at all. 700. With a time standard of 2 hrs “because we had a long day ahead.” lol

I started out trying to pace myself with sets of 50, then it was sets of 25, 20, 15, lol etc, until I was moving from the position of attention to the front leaning rest and doing....1 push up at a time. It was f***ing brutal. lol I made it literally with seconds to spare as he sat there smiling, sipping his coffee and busting my balls the entire time. That MF’r was harder than chicken lips. I couldn’t even feel my arms for like 3 days.

Kids these days getting “smoked” with sets of 10 or 20 pushups?? Pfffftttt. You missed all the fun of feeling like you lived in a f***ing Chinese prison.

We “met” our company commander for the first time just before lunchtime.
By the time we made it to the mess hall, we’d done so many PUs I needed two hands to lift the juice glass to my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom