• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This doesn't belong here but...

Sweeney

NES Member
You guys might enjoy it. My 1967 Ithaca 37 seemed to always want to play with my Vietnam era M1917 bayonet. The 37 is free of the usual Ithaca engraving and has the plain furniture and the military type sling swivel.

This morning I cut down a newly acquired barrel, Parkerized it along with a repro bayonet mount/shroud and tossed it all together.

I like the look.

Thanks, guys! It works quite well. 45 degrees, winds 7 mph with gusts to 16 mph, 20 yd run...

This is my first 5 thrust group...one flyer when I stumbled in a gofer hole.

Thanks, guys! It works quite well. 45 degrees, winds 7 mph with gusts to 16 mph, 20 yd run...

This is my first 5 thrust group...one flyer when I stumbled in a gofer hole.

Awesome....we used to have a bayonet charge at our club .....not sure why it stopped?
That's a good looking piece and I think you can get 1200$ for it [rolleyes] the new reproduction ones they are putting out .....

Awesome....we used to have a bayonet charge at our club .....not sure why it stopped?
That's a good looking piece and I think you can get 1200$ for it [rolleyes] the new reproduction ones they are putting out .....

I'll scratch a 'US' and flaming bomb into it with a steak knife and sell it a an original for $5K...interested? [wink]

I'll scratch a 'US' and flaming bomb into it with a steak knife and sell it a an original for $5K...interested? [wink]

Depends on the quality of the engraving....

Friend of mine did a 2 of these a few years ago. Found a kit with all the parts ....want to say he paid 375$ for each kit.
His look nice who ever did the kits did a good job of making them not look new.
Both his look like they where trench guns.

Last edited:
Depends on the quality of the engraving....

Friend of mine did a 2 of these a few years ago. Found a kit with all the parts ....want to say he paid 375$ for each kit.
His look nice who ever did the kits did a good job of making them not look new.
Both his look like they where trench guns.

I can make exact copies of the 'US' , flaming bomb and acceptance stamps...the actual stamps... and I own several hammers. Aging the gun is easy. $6K and it's yours.

This is just getting silly now.

I got the mount/shroud for $275 new. It's ok, looks the part... but I could have done better. Some of the machining is pretty rough, particularly the actual lug for the bayonet latch. Making my own would be a good machining exercise some day.

Last edited:
I can make exact copies of the 'US' , flaming bomb and acceptance stamps...the actual stamps... and I own several hammers. Aging the gun is easy. $6K and it's yours.

This is just getting silly now.

I got the mount/shroud for $275 new. It's ok, looks the part... but I could have done better. Some of the machining is pretty rough, particularly the actual lug for the bayonet latch. Making my own would be a good machining exercise some day.

I,have never seen a real one but something tells me the machine work was just good enough for GI.?
I wish I had the space for some sort of mil and time to learn how to use it.

I,have never seen a real one but something tells me the machine work was just good enough for GI.?
I wish I had the space for some sort of mil and time to learn how to use it.

I would think that a real one would be significantly better even if rushed to completion. I would say the tolerances on lug are +/- 0.050". There is a lot of what appears to be hand grinding.

I'm contemplating cutting off the lug and grafting on a new one machined by me or transplant one from another source.

I have a Taig mini-mill that is capable enough to do some nice work. Granted, you have to work within the performance envelope of the machine. I bought it to teach myself some cnc milling. I do have a Bridgeport and a larger cnc mill that I'm rebuilding along with a Rockwell 11" lathe.

If I do make my own lug it will be on the Bridgeport and perhaps the lathe.

Back
Top Bottom