Thought Exercise

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Every Fall, I've got into the habit of playing the "what if" games. This is my way of finding the little things that I can do now which would be a nightmare to do if we got socked in this winter. Here is the scenario:

It's Late January 2008.

A massive plume of moisture is coming up from the Gulf and it looks like the high over New England is going to just slide off the Maine coast, but then remain locked in place.

Forecasts which showed a day or so of rain only yesterday are now predicting a snow and ice event which will begin before dawn tomorrow and could last as long as 3 days dumping wave after wave of moisture. Winds could reach 50mph and trees could be entombed in an inch of ice before changing to snow.

You have maybe 12 hours to prepare.

Are you ready?

how would you spend those 12 hours?

Me, I'd install that new chain on the chainsaw if I have not done it yet. Mix up more 2-stroke fuel. I'd run some large cables from the oil burner in the basement outside so that I can get the generator hooked up quickly. (I've built a set of 3-way cables that I can tap my boiler, 1st floor blowers, and well pump in one run. Since hooking it up will require complete disconnect from the panel, It's safe for utility workers. It's just a PIA, although not as bad as I was expecting) The blowers have an outlet on the panel, so I have some limited 120 for other uses.

Only 'purchases' I'd make would be to fill any empty propane, and top off my truck and any empty fuel cans. I'd also swing by the farm and get some extra milk and eggs. That's the one thing my parents needed to go out for back in '78. I'd also see about getting oil delivered if I was below 1/2 a tank. That's about all I'd need to do I think.

I just bought a bunch of candles for our candle lanterns ($15 from EMS and the candles last about 9 hours - perfect for power outages and such) We use them camping too. I've got plenty of Coleman fuel for the big lantern, but that's for use outside if needed, never in the house.

if for some reason the generator failed, I also have almost a cord of seasoned wood. I've stacked at least a day's worth in the garage to keep it dry. I just don't like using the fireplace as it draws a lot of air up the chimney which just cools off the rest of the house.

This summer, we played a lot with outdoor cooking. We did Pizza on the grill and several dishes in the Dutch Oven. Even if our stove stopped working (it's propane) we could still cook.

All in all, with the exception of the mess any large storm causes and one possible Oak tree which could fall and cause us trouble, we're in pretty good shape.

Oh, I've also built a simple cable that allows connection of a car battery (or any large 12v like the lawn tractor or Scooter) to our best portable radio. I'm just going to assume that TV will be out by either power or cable. The generator can recharge the battery by night. The real question is just how long the generator will last. In all my tests, it seems to be pretty efficient. But it's hard to test "actual' conditions.

We have cell service at the house, but as a backup, I can "AutoPatch" to several 2-meter Ham repeaters in the area. Not to mention using the ham radio itself.

About the only thing I'm going to miss in a few years is the truck. I can't justify keeping it just for storms (Man I wish there was a cheaper way to keep a vehicle for occasional use as I would so like to keep that truck, but the $600+ a year for insurance, taxes, etc are killer in this state) Remember that April Fool storm? The Ram drove through that dumping like it wasn't there.

Anyway, what would you need to do?

In all seriousness, I would go to the liquor store, and buy a couple 30 packs, and a bottle of Dewars. Then fill up my truck.

That's it....

My generator just finished it's 3 month start-up test. After the test, I did the annual oil change, and I had an outdoor input, and complete transfer switch installed this past summer. I have enough gasoline on hand to run my gen for MUCH longer than 3 days, and add to that the extra 25+ gallons in my truck, and I would be all set. My chainsaw got a new bar and chain at the beginning of the spring, and I have enough bar and chain oil, and 2 cycle oil available to keep it running for a while. While my generator will run most of my house, if I did decide to conserve, I have a solid supply of 50 hour candles, and plenty of 1lb propane cylinders to run my lanterns.

Other than that, I would just sit back, enjoy the ride, and occasionally yell into the sky "Is that all you got"

In all seriousness, I would go to the liquor store, and buy a couple 30 packs, and a bottle of Dewars. Then fill up my truck.

That's it....

My generator just finished it's 3 month start-up test. After the test, I did the annual oil change, and I had an outdoor input, and complete transfer switch installed this past summer. I have enough gasoline on hand to run my gen for MUCH longer than 3 days, and add to that the extra 25+ gallons in my truck, and I would be all set. My chainsaw got a new bar and chain at the beginning of the spring, and I have enough bar and chain oil, and 2 cycle oil available to keep it running for a while. While my generator will run most of my house, if I did decide to conserve, I have a solid supply of 50 hour candles, and plenty of 1lb propane cylinders to run my lanterns.

Other than that, I would just sit back, enjoy the ride, and occasionally yell into the sky "Is that all you got"

Too funny.
Both generators are ready, so isn't my mother in laws, I have enough food for quite some time. Also been canning so we are set there. I have oil lamps in every room of our house so those are set. Might need some more kerosene for them, but probably wouldn't.
Have pellets for the stoves. Glenn has the chain saws ready if need be.
I can cook in my motor home if need be or at my mother in laws next door.
Basically I'd be like Adam just sitting back and not worry about it.

I needn't have electicity, if it's that cold, the fridge contents(beer) would just go in the cooler. With an endless supply of outside snow and ice to fill it with. Then I'd head to the basement and pick out the ugliest furniture my wife won't let me get rid of......and burn it for heat. Then I would sit back next to the fire and drink my Ice cold beers While effortlessly gazing out of my sliders to the wonderous view of the bay thats just a click away. Ahhhhhhh. Wish it were today....

Buy some scotch & propane and gasoline. Check the cellar doors. Oh , and fill up the alcove where I put firewood inside , so I don't need to go out for a few days. Turn off the alarm clock and sleep late.

Top the vehicles off
Double up my firewood in the house
put a can of gas next to the genny in the attached garage
do all the dirty laundry and dishes
bring the camp stove and 20lb tank into the attached garage
grab some milk ,eggs and other perishables
check the chainsaw
bring a couple of lamps up from the basement
move car into detached garage
move snowblower to attached garage
get the coolers out of the basement and in the attached garage

These are from a check list that I developed several years ago.

Buy some scotch & propane and gasoline. Check the cellar doors. Oh , and fill up the alcove where I put firewood inside , so I don't need to go out for a few days. Turn off the alarm clock and sleep late.

My flippant answer is possible not from being a wiseass , but because I have done so much to be ready. In August I stacked two cords of oak. My chainsaw is not only running but there is gas mix, bar oil and 2 spare chains on the shelf next to it ( I suck at sharpening chainsaws ). I have been spending most of my "free" time on home repair , focusing heavily on weatherization and insulation. ... to the point where I am going to be a little disapointed if I don't get at least a little dramatic emergency this year ...

I have a few more things left on the list : Restock the propane , bring the Genny home from the cabin , and a little list of vehicle repairs. I will get at least one thing done per week until there is no more list.

I'd abandon the house, bring food and stored water over to the office, where the wood stove is. Get ready to drain the water systems in case of power failure to keep pipes from freezing, top off all vehicles with gas, and camp out in the office with the family.

Don't need to do anything to prepare - generator on automatic transfer switch powers the whole house including heat, well pump and cooking for many weeks (fueled from underground tank), also got enough food (both already prepared and as ingredients) to outlast any storm.

Would probably just triple check the generator and snow blower (to keep a path clear for the dogs to go to the back of the yard to do their business and to keep the exhaust and air intakes for the generator cleared), move spare bags of ice melt from the basement to the garage, position spare gas next to the jeep, cook up a big pot of chili or soup, convince my wife to work from home for the duration, turn on the TV to the local news and watch all the people panicking, open a beer or two, sit in front of the fire with the dogs and watch the snow fall.

It's Late January 2008.

A massive plume of moisture is coming up from the Gulf and it looks like the high over New England is going to just slide off the Maine coast, but then remain locked in place.

Forecasts which showed a day or so of rain only yesterday are now predicting a snow and ice event which will begin before dawn tomorrow and could last as long as 3 days dumping wave after wave of moisture. Winds could reach 50mph and trees could be entombed in an inch of ice before changing to snow.

You have maybe 12 hours to prepare.

Are you ready?

That's not a "what-if" situation at all. I don't know about you guys down there, but up here in Maine we had a little event called "The Ice Storm of '98". Here at the house we were without power for 7 days. They were air-lifting in bucket trucks and linesmen from other parts of the country on C5's into BNAS. That was before I had a generator. We did alright with the wood stove for a while, but it really sucked being without water. Finally, on the seventh day, I went out and bought a Honda generator (had to pay retail+[angry]). Of course, as soon as I got it hooked up, the power came back on.

That's not a "what-if" situation at all. I don't know about you guys down there, but up here in Maine we had a little event called "The Ice Storm of '98". Here at the house we were without power for 7 days. They were air-lifting in bucket trucks and linesmen from other parts of the country on C5's into BNAS. That was before I had a generator. We did alright with the wood stove for a while, but it really sucked being without water. Finally, on the seventh day, I went out and bought a Honda generator (had to pay retail+[angry]). Of course, as soon as I got it hooked up, the power came back on.

Why did a power outage also stop your water from working? Did pipes freeze?

I would guess because he has a well.

My guess as well. When we had 4 days with no power also meant no water, seeing we had a well. Had bottled water though. Then we bought a generator and haven't had to use them at all. All well, we are ready for when we do need them.
We're about as ready as we can be.

I went through that ice storm in 98 as well. lived on the Canadian border at the time in NY (ogdensburg) That is what convinced me to be prepared at all times. I did not suffer any back then, mind you, but have vowed to never be caught flat-footed. So...

2 tons of coal in the basement now
2 cords of wood right outside the basement door. 'bout 10 days worth inside.
no less than 6 gallons of gasoling available at any given time, more often 12. 2 cans-one may be empty for a day or two.
Generator is operated for 1 hour per month (or so)

I am a little low on bourbon.

I remember that ice storm well. The family place in NH was shut down for almost 2 weeks. Luckily, it had been designed to be easily drained. By the first weekend it was only 40 degrees in the basement where the bulk of the water lines are. Drained the two water tanks and pipes and tossed some anti-freeze in the various traps. All in all, it was a half day exercise. Since my grandparents were already dead, nobody was living there full time.

Someday my wife and I will build a vacation/retirement home on the last remaining piece of the family land in NH. If I get my way (and I think I probably will on this case) it will be designed from the ground up to be as simple to "shut off" and "remove from the grid" as I possibly can afford. Mainly so that we can worry less about it when large storms hit, and as a refuge if major disruptions occur. Most of this will be to keep things simple and look at the place more as a "cabin" than as a "home" in the traditional meaning. Comfortable, but simple.

I'd love to get a true backup generator for the house, but the installation costs for something that is needed so infrequently is hard to justify. Especially when a portable and some wiring can do a pretty good job, AND can move with you to the next home.

Why did a power outage also stop your water from working? Did pipes freeze?

I would say 75% of homes in Maine are on wells. That is a WAG. Probably there is a govt. statistic out there.

*EDIT* From the Maine Geological survey: 50% of Maine homes get their water from private wells.

Last edited:
Pizza on the grill. Ive been doing that since Moses was a pup

Thanks for reminding me.

over the next month I need to Buy a 22oVA genset and then build a little wooden hut to house it in and wire it into the Maine Breaker panel.

Last power outage during the big Saint Patty days storm I hooked up my little 110 generator and it did nothing but run a couple lights and the fridge.

I need the 220VAC for the well pump and the oil furnance and the electric stove/oven.

Ive heard that banking up bales of hay around the foundation works wonders

Yes I was cooking on the grill but thats a normal activity 12 months a year. No hardship.

Mix 4 cups flour
1 tsp yeast
1/2 cup suger
1/2 tsp baking soda
salt to flavor
2 tsp vannila extract or 1 cup rum
2 eggs

Mix well pound ito favorite pizza shape and add Salsa or Spaggitti sauce. onions, peppers, black olives, capers, shaved steak, ham, hamburger, pepperoni, pinapple, sardines or anchovies, hen clams & lobster (omit salt in sauce) diced garlic and basil and oregano.

Bake at 200 degrees for 45 min spinkle on fresh pasley and tabasco sauce.

Serve with copius amounts of Molsens, chilled to 35 degrees.

[rolleyes]

What dost tho profest to imply by WAG?

Main Entry: 1wag
Pronunciation: \ˈwag\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): wagged; wag·ging
Etymology: Middle English waggen; akin to Middle High German wacken to totter, Old English wegan to move — more at way
Date: 13th century
intransitive verb
1: to be in motion : stir
2: to move to and fro or up and down especially with quick jerky motions
3: to move in chatter or gossip <scandal caused tongues to wag>
4archaic : depart
5: waddle
transitive verb
1: to swing to and fro or up and down especially with quick jerky motions : switch <a dog wagging its tail>; specifically : to nod (the head) or shake (a finger) at (as in assent or mild reproof)
2: to move (as the tongue) animatedly in conversation
— wag·ger noun

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom