• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on this hunting article in 'Guns and Ammo'

This gets tossed out there now and again. Soon people will arrive to talk about what a pu$$y sport this is and those who participate aren't sportsmen. Then others will arrive who will say although it may not seem right to some, it's not for them to decide what's right for others. Then the gun owners and hunters will argue amongst themselves for awhile, and the thread will get locked or drift off leaving hard feelings.

I thought these things were endangered. What am i missing?

In certain parts of africa they are, in others, notably some of S. Africa's preserves, they are (at least a few years back, my knowledge is dated to the tune of some 4 years or so) actually over populated and are culled by the local authorities either through hunting or through a relocation program (either way they shoot them from helicopters with either lead or a dart) to bring them into depressed areas north. All depends on where in africa you are looking at. I am not sure if one is allowed to hunt them for sport anywhere though. Lastly, tusks/ivory is barred from trade/harvest period.

I'd love to try to take one of those with a handgun, then I'd make hassocks and umbrella stands out of its legs.

Don't knock hunting folks. Hunters bought and paid for much of the "conservation" land around here (and its upkeep) through hunting license fees. Many gun clubs would cease to exist without hunters. I know mine would.

I'm moving this to the Hunting forum before the cry babies come out.

Jim,

hasn't JD Jones taken an elephant with one of his custom handguns?

I'm willing to bet you and your S&W 500 with 700 gr. solids, placed correctly, would do the job.

I don't think I'd want to try that up close with an animal that was in charge mode though, but knowing you.... you'd get a kick out of it.

I'll confine myself to wild pigs, that's all the danger I can handle these days.

I like shooting elephants with cameras myself,but that's just me.I watched a hunting show where a guy shot agiraffe.What's the purpose?Does it taste like chicken?Ya can't mount the neck and head on a wall unless you have a huge house.

I like shooting elephants with cameras myself,but that's just me.I watched a hunting show where a guy shot agiraffe.What's the purpose?Does it taste like chicken?Ya can't mount the neck and head on a wall unless you have a huge house.

You have a freeking huge rug that will do a couple rooms at a time. It's all about management and they would truly wipe themselves out through starvation and disaease. Science has proven this time after time so get used to it, it ain't gonna stop. The meat feeds many villagers and money helps the countries out so we (U.S.) and others don't have to send as much aid.[wink]

They taste like caribou.

elephant hunting

You have a freeking huge rug that will do a couple rooms at a time. It's all about management and they would truly wipe themselves out through starvation and disaease. Science has proven this time after time so get used to it, it ain't gonna stop. The meat feeds many villagers and money helps the countries out so we (U.S.) and others don't have to send as much aid.[wink]

They taste like caribou.

I may have given out vibes that I am anti hunting?That was not my intention.I just can't see myself ever shooting an elephant.My Doctor wants me to cut down on eating so what's the point.There are many animals I am not interested in hunting,but whitetails are something else.I also hope before I get too old I get to hunt the wild piggy.

Back
Top Bottom