• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thread for Former, Current, & Future Intelligence Officers

Currently interested in being an intelligence officer with the US Air Force, was wondering if anyone here has experience in this field and what they can say about the job?

What do you do as a Intel officer? What'd you like/dislike about it? Etc...

I was an MI officer for about two years, but that was 20 years ago.

It was also in a rifle battalion of the 82d Airborne Division, so I'd imagine very little of what I did would be similar to any USAF job. But it involved coordinating the battalion's available intel assets (not much: mostly the scout platoon and whatever other shit we'd been given), being one of the guys who manned the radios late night in the TOC, and briefings.

LOTS of briefings. Our BC wanted weekly classified threat briefings, so we hit the SIPRNET with a TS hard drive and put something together every Wednesday morning.

I was also the de facto BN "security manager," meaning I controlled all the locks and safes in the battalion area and I was the one who yelled at whomever mishandled classified material. I also initiated and submitted new SF86s for anyone who needed one.

The branch was still training Soviet OB back then. Other training included NAI nomination and development, which did come in handy, and I remember a block of instruction in analyzing enemy poop and other trash. That was interesting.

I was an MI officer for about two years, but that was 20 years ago.

It was also in a rifle battalion of the 82d Airborne Division, so I'd imagine very little of what I did would be similar to any USAF job. But it involved coordinating the battalion's available intel assets (not much: mostly the scout platoon and whatever other shit we'd been given), being one of the guys who manned the radios late night in the TOC, and briefings.

LOTS of briefings. Our BC wanted weekly classified threat briefings, so we hit the SIPRNET with a TS hard drive and put something together every Wednesday morning.

I was also the de facto BN "security manager," meaning I controlled all the locks and safes in the battalion area and I was the one who yelled at whomever mishandled classified material. I also initiated and submitted new SF86s for anyone who needed one.

The branch was still training Soviet OB back then. Other training included NAI nomination and development, which did come in handy, and I remember a block of instruction in analyzing enemy poop and other trash. That was interesting.
Thanks for the insight, sounds like a lot of cool stuff you learned and did throughout the 2 years. My dad is a marine and he told me if I were to ever go into the military to be a pilot, or a intel officer.

Thanks for the insight, sounds like a lot of cool stuff you learned and did throughout the 2 years. My dad is a marine and he told me if I were to ever go into the military to be a pilot, or a intel officer.
On the Army side, the nature of the day-to-day job depends VERY MUCH on what kind of unit you’re in. Me being an MI 1LT in an parachute infantry battalion would have zero in common with an MI 1LT in a mechanized artillery battalion, and even less in common with an MI 1LT leading a platoon in some sort of MI battalion.

There’s probably no such thing as a “typical” MI officer.

On the Army side, the nature of the day-to-day job depends VERY MUCH on what kind of unit you’re in. Me being an MI 1LT in an parachute infantry battalion would have zero in common with an MI 1LT in a mechanized artillery battalion, and even less in common with an MI 1LT leading a platoon in some sort of MI battalion.

Good to know, I spoke to one gentleman at a gas station who said Air Force Intel officers work closely with the CIA. I wonder how accurate that is and how closely they work.

Good to know, I spoke to one gentleman at a gas station who said Air Force Intel officers work closely with the CIA. I wonder how accurate that is and how closely they work.
Your first lesson should be that a "gentleman at a gas station" is not a credible source.

(and also random people on an internet forum.)

Most military intel jobs are not of the "Jason Bourne" type.

They generally involve analysing multi sourced data, pictures, and information and then applying that to how it affects the unit's training, readiness, and mission.

You might start out as the 2nd Lt. who is charge of the airmen who cut and laminate maps and then eventually end up as the Director of the CIA?

Last edited:
My brother went into the USAF when he got out of college (Brown) and got out of officer candidate school with a commission. Then he went to flight school and became a fly boy. He loved his time in the military, he got to travel the world. Near the end he was bored stiff shuffling papers around and that's when he decided to get out. If he were younger right now I would be willing to bet that he would avoid the military. I think it's too woke and farcical to take seriously as a career path.

If he were younger right now I would be willing to bet that he would avoid the military. I think it's too woke and farcical to take seriously as a career path.
Parts of the .mil have always been more woke than others.

There are still ways to minimize wokeness, but IMO joining the Air Force (as anything but a PJ) is unlikely to be one of those ways.

There are still ways to minimize wokeness, but IMO joining the Air Force (as anything but a PJ) is unlikely to be one of those ways.

Along with Pararescue (PJ), AF Special Warfare Branch teams are Combat Controller (CCT), Tactical Air Control Party (TACP), and Special Reconnaissance (SR). They also are the recruiters for SERE.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7GWxLFuWI&t=14s

Along with Pararescue (PJ), AF Special Warfare Branch teams are Combat Controller (CCT), Tactical Air Control Party (TACP), and Special Reconnaissance (SR). They also are the recruiters for SERE.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7GWxLFuWI&t=14s

Yeah, the TACP guys are GTG too.

My feeling is that the more tactical your unit (not your MOS) is, the less time there is for wokeness, DoD-wide. Though I could be wrong.

Time spent eating dirt is time not spent in death-by-PowerPoint.

I’ve never been an Intel officer, but you can trust me as much as a guy at the gas station. (PS, don’t go randomly telling people at the gas station that you’re pursuing a career in Intel)

This.

There are so many different jobs (security, all source, HUMINT, SIGINT etc) and different scopes (tactical, operational, strategic)

Lots of boring work…. Lots, especially as either a junior officer or junior enlisted. But, cool stuff too if you actually go out of your way to seek out opportunities and curate your career. Some people get lucky and land in cool/fun/interesting Intel jobs. But most have to network and keep eyes and ears open for opportunities.

On the army side you can do psyop/ca AD chances are you might be able to shake hands. I just don’t see the allure of three letter big dick energy.

It’s not like in the movies my main man.
I had more to do with OGAs as an infantry officer than I did as an MI officer. And yes: they’re not all that and a bag of chips. They can be difficult to work with.

On the army side you can do psyop/ca AD chances are you might be able to shake hands. I just don’t see the allure of three letter big dick energy.

It’s not like in the movies my main man.
And I’d say if someone were interested in that type of thing, just apply for them off the bat.

Not an officer, I was an Intel NCO though (USAF MSgt).

I was at the ANG unit out at Westfield, MA. It was a flying squadron, and my job (and the officers I worked with) primarily involved supporting flying operations, as well as Security Forces and other base agencies (Civil Engineers, , EOD, Medical, Command Staff, etc). Probably 75% pilot support, 20% Security Forces and 5% other agencies on base. We took info from other sources that have already been passed through analysis, and then further analyzed it for "what about this do our guys need to know?" We'd then provide briefings or further research.

The ANG unit at Otis at the Cape has lost all their planes and now is strictly an Intel base. I don't know exactly how they run, as I had no real desire to travel to the Cape to work with them. Likewise any dedicated Intel unit - I was squadron Intel, and was happy to stay there.

Usually, squadron level intel is for the lower ranks, both Officer and Enlisted, and as you increase rank you "graduate" to the higher echelons where there is more information, but less application.

You will not get a shoe phone, tuxedo, decoder ring or assassination training.

Not an officer, I was an Intel NCO though (USAF MSgt).

I was at the ANG unit out at Westfield, MA. It was a flying squadron, and my job (and the officers I worked with) primarily involved supporting flying operations, as well as Security Forces and other base agencies (Civil Engineers, , EOD, Medical, Command Staff, etc). Probably 75% pilot support, 20% Security Forces and 5% other agencies on base. We took info from other sources that have already been passed through analysis, and then further analyzed it for "what about this do our guys need to know?" We'd then provide briefings or further research.

The ANG unit at Otis at the Cape has lost all their planes and now is strictly an Intel base. I don't know exactly how they run, as I had no real desire to travel to the Cape to work with them. Likewise any dedicated Intel unit - I was squadron Intel, and was happy to stay there.

Usually, squadron level intel is for the lower ranks, both Officer and Enlisted, and as you increase rank you "graduate" to the higher echelons where there is more information, but less application.

You will not get a shoe phone, tuxedo, decoder ring or assassination training.
Thats pretty cool. You mentioned you were squadron intel, what are the other types of intel? What are the higher rank intelligence officers dealing with in the AF?

That’s an easy one: if he told you, it isn’t true.

Defense Intelligence Agency, perhaps. Even then, as others have noted, it is very highly dependent on unit, rank, and role.

We occasionally had plain-clothes Americans who spoke perfect German show up at our border camp [AKA The Iron Curtain] and we had no idea who they worked for!

That’s an easy one: if he told you, it isn’t true.

Defense Intelligence Agency, perhaps. Even then, as others have noted, it is very highly dependent on unit, rank, and role.

We occasionally had plain-clothes Americans who spoke perfect German show up at our border camp [AKA The Iron Curtain] and we had no idea who they worked for!
Does the military teach other languages relevant to national security/interest? Russian/Chinese?

Does the military teach other languages relevant to national security/interest? Russian/Chinese?
Yes. The Defense Language Institute (now DLIFLC) teaches:
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Indonesian
  • Persian Farsi
  • Russian
  • Tagalog
  • Modern Standard Arabic
  • Arabic – Egyptian
  • Arabic – Iraqi
  • Arabic – Levantine
  • Chinese Mandarin
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Pashto
Courses 36-64 weeks. Not sure how one qualifies.

Yes. The Defense Language Institute (now DLIFLC) teaches:
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Indonesian
  • Persian Farsi
  • Russian
  • Tagalog
  • Modern Standard Arabic
  • Arabic – Egyptian
  • Arabic – Iraqi
  • Arabic – Levantine
  • Chinese Mandarin
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Pashto
Courses 36-64 weeks. Not sure how one qualifies.

This is definitely something I am going to consider when I go in. Spasiba

Thats pretty cool. You mentioned you were squadron intel, what are the other types of intel? What are the higher rank intelligence officers dealing with in the AF?
My area was operational intel. Taking the already analyzed info and paring it down to what my users needed. No need to tell an gate guard what type of radar they're putting on upgraded figher planes and pilots don't care about hand grenades in use by ground forces.

At the squadron level you're providing info to pilots of one type of plane. Threats that they'll encounter will be based on their mission type. As an A-10 intel guy, I didn't care about MiGs, because the F-15s would sweep them from the skies while my guys killed tanks, I was concerned with short range weapons. When we moved to F-15s, it was the opposite, the short range stuff couldn't reach the Eagles where they flew, but MiGs and Flankers were both threats and targets.
Above that, you're at Wing level, where you're supporting multiple intel squadrons. You're a step removed from direct action, but you've got your hands involved in multiple areas.

Beyond that, you have places like the Combined Air Operation Centers or NORAD where you're looking at an even larger picture of what's going on and determining what asset would be best for each specific scenario.

As far as collection of the raw information, and the analyzing of that into useable intelligence - those were other career fields that I never crossed into after 1994. Any info I have on it is way outdated, and wouldn't be worth talking about.

My area was operational intel. Taking the already analyzed info and paring it down to what my users needed. No need to tell an gate guard what type of radar they're putting on upgraded figher planes and pilots don't care about hand grenades in use by ground forces.

At the squadron level you're providing info to pilots of one type of plane. Threats that they'll encounter will be based on their mission type. As an A-10 intel guy, I didn't care about MiGs, because the F-15s would sweep them from the skies while my guys killed tanks, I was concerned with short range weapons. When we moved to F-15s, it was the opposite, the short range stuff couldn't reach the Eagles where they flew, but MiGs and Flankers were both threats and targets.
Above that, you're at Wing level, where you're supporting multiple intel squadrons. You're a step removed from direct action, but you've got your hands involved in multiple areas.

Beyond that, you have places like the Combined Air Operation Centers or NORAD where you're looking at an even larger picture of what's going on and determining what asset would be best for each specific scenario.

As far as collection of the raw information, and the analyzing of that into useable intelligence - those were other career fields that I never crossed into after 1994. Any info I have on it is way outdated, and wouldn't be worth talking about.
Appreciate you taking the time to tell me all this info!

Back
Top Bottom