Ticks 2014

TIL: Woodchucks have their own tick, the "woodchuck tick". That's how they roll.

You would have thought with the winter we had it would have killed most of them off. Not so much I guess.
That would be too easy. A cold, dry winter would have helped cut down on ticks.

Dr. Ron Harrison said:
Most ticks have a two-year life cycle and are well regulated to survive the winter. ticks just don’t die from the cold. Instead, they typically retreat daily into leaf litter, mulch and grass to stay hydrated, then climb onto knee-high vegetation any time temperatures rise above freezing, hoping to latch onto a passing deer, etc

Along with the deer ticks and Lyme, apparently woodchuck ticks carry a different virus, Powassan, which has a +10% fatality rate in humans.

A fatwa on all mice, chipmunks, voles, grey squirrels and groundhogs.

We pulled about a dozen off each of us yesterday, probably spent 20 minutes in the woods. Pulled a fat one off my dog this morning and a tiny one was hitching a ride on it, burned 2 for 1.

I picked one up april 2nd, they are here to stay. Did some minor bushwhacking for fishing spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had one crawling on my hand yesterday at the range. Hoping the Vectra 3D does the job on the pup this tick season. Ugh, I hate these freaking things.

Those things leave a long lasting impression on me. I can only imagine what our dogs feel after having more than a few removed.

That cold snap we had seemed to stave off some of the infestation, but we still had to pull a tick off of our Cocker a few days ago. She was treated with Advantix.

I plan to hit our trails with a cordless hedge trimmer, to lessen their jump-off points.

Firm steady pressure till they release. If you just yank them off you usually leave the head imbedded in your body and it usually gets all infected and rots it's way out. Instinct is to yank that sucker out but instead get a grip on it and pull with some force but not a lot until it comes out. At least that is my advice.

good advice, i just pulled out a tick a few weeks ago and i got a nasty hole in my leg from the bite, there must have been a piece still in there?

Im definitely getting the chemicals to treat my clothes this year,

good info in this thread, thanks

good info in this thread, thanks

Exactly, there was another thread about what meds to use on dogs. Prior to seeing it we had pulled 10 ticks off each of our dogs. Saw the info about the Seresto collars , bought two put them on the pups and not one since. I hadn't even heard of these collars before reading about them here. Thanks for sharing info.

I have had very good results with Vectra 3D on my lab. Pulled only 3 ticks total off him last summer and we're in the woods every day. None this year, yet...

Was out in the field Sun afternoon. Pulled two off my legs Mon am. Hate them f'n things.

Pretty straight forward, put it around their neck and twist it out. No need to worry about their head breaking off or injecting yourself with their guts when you squish their body with a tweezer. Pretty good to have on hand.

Ill have to pick up a couple next time im at petco, just in case. It is always a game trying to get the right hold on the things with tweezers.

Pretty straight forward, put it around their neck and twist it out. No need to worry about their head breaking off or injecting yourself with their guts when you squish their body with a tweezer. Pretty good to have on hand.

View attachment 102522
that one's pretty neat...i have several Tick Keys. My wife and I both have them on our keychains and we keep one in the house.
tick-key.jpg

Went out at lunch time to pull a stand. On the drive back to the office I pulled off 3 that were on my jeans and hand. God I hate those bastards. Who knows how many more I have on me, it will be a full body check when I get home from work. Turkey clothes to be doused with Permethrin getting ready for the first hunt of the season!!!

I dug a tick out of my armpit with an ESEE 3 yesterday. My dog's had a couple already. Without backtracking through the thread, what are you using to spray your yards?

I just make sure the close are treated with permethrin. Check legs amd arms after hanging in the woods. Theyre brutal in southern maine

Sent from the blind

Save your money. Nothing works better than your fingers. Tools leave the head embedded far too many times.

The problem with that is you end up squeezing the tick which puts the bacteria into your system. The tick keys work but you have to be patient. and apply light pressure until the tick lets loose. If you try to just pop them out fast then the head gets left behind.

Back
Top Bottom