• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips for Flying with Firearms for the First Time

Is there a separate parking at B? I only parked either at central parking or overflow. And of course no one ever ‘searching car as usual’. Go figure.

Yes. B terminal has it's own garage that is in between the 2 different halves of that terminal. It's old and small.

It used to be great when I flew America West out of there every week to go to Chicago for work. But after 9/11 it turned in to a constant cluster f.

B Garage has been searching vehicles entering since 9/11. They suck... they make up rules there and change them every hour depending on who is working. I won't even bother going to that garage anymore.
You don't use central parking?

Yes. B terminal has it's own garage that is in between the 2 different halves of that terminal. It's old and small.

It used to be great when I flew America West out of there every week to go to Chicago for work. But after 9/11 it turned in to a constant cluster f.
a one more thing i never knew of. :) ok, very interesting.

IIRC all the logan garages are subject to waffen SS bullshit, but I think B was the worst? One is better off parking offsite or getting a limo in. I am lucky I have parking near the airport so I just take an uber in/out.

Plus you deprive those shitbirds of revenue they dont deserve for orchestrating a clusterf*** of a shit facility. The only good thing about logan is it has direct flights that go "somewhere. " other than that the rest of it is shit.

IIRC all the logan garages are subject to waffen SS bullshit, but I think B was the worst? One is better off parking offsite or getting a limo in. I am lucky I have parking near the airport so I just take an uber in/out.

Plus you deprive those shitbirds of revenue they dont deserve for orchestrating a clusterf*** of a shit facility. The only good thing about logan is it has direct flights that go "somewhere. " other than that the rest of it is shit.
i practically always use logan express bus to get in there. out of there - taxi. no one searched me yet on a bus nor checked my rectum.

Central parking has a sign that says they can search your car and I have used Central parking for B terminal. I have never had my car searched.

I am not sure why someone would use a small, sh*tty lot that you know will search your car and ask stupid questions when you have the option of using Central parking. Specially when traveling with guns.

It is such an easy situation to avoid.

Why was there a parking guy searching your car?
Why did you tell him what you had?

I am so confused by this situation, I have been to Logan several times and never had a "parking guy" search my car and ask questions.
Ever park at Terminal B? They open the trunk/hatch and look inside your car every time.

Central parking has a sign that says they can search your car and I have used Central parking for B terminal. I have never had my car searched.

I am not sure why someone would use a small, sh*tty lot that you know will search your car and ask stupid questions when you have the option of using Central parking. Specially when traveling with guns.

It is such an easy situation to avoid.
The thing is, they have never had an issue with it the dozen or so times I have done it in the past.

I have always had them open my trunk when parking at terminal B since 9/11. When dropping off or picking up, no search.

I have always had them open my trunk when parking at terminal B since 9/11. When dropping off or picking up, no search.
When picking up as well?

What?

I was just there a few weeks ago, stopped for maybe 30min waiting to pick someone, I even posted a pic in the Logan thread. There were over 30 cars waiting, no knew was searched.

You guys must be doing something wrong.

You don't use central parking?

I do now, but back then B garage was so convenient, since I was flying in and out of the terminal weekly. I knew the best hidden secrets for parking spots.

Now, if I'm parking on property, I use Central Parking. Plus I basically refuse to fly any airlines that use B Terminal

B Garage used to be easy in and out... then they started searching every car after 9/11. Then they changed to only short term parking (less than a full week), then they went to just overnight, then daily / hourly. I couldn't keep up. So I never even try to go in there anymore.

I mostly take Logan Express. Since they've gone to buying tickets online, it's a no brainer.

All this crap is just the B garage. I guess they think it's a higher risk since it's in the middle of the terminals??? not really sure why it's just that garage.

When picking up as well?

What?

I was just there a few weeks ago, stopped for maybe 30min waiting to pick someone, I even posted a pic in the Logan thread. There were over 30 cars waiting, no knew was searched.

You guys must be doing something wrong.
Did you pull into the B garage or just around the ring road?

All this crap is just the B garage. I guess they think it's a higher risk since it's in the middle of the terminals??? not really sure why it's just that garage.
This ^^^. The issue is that the B garage is right between the two halves of Terminal B, a perfect place to plant a large explosive device. So they at a minimum look in your trunk/hatch, but they say that you vehicle might be subject to a complete search. After 9/11 I stopped using the Terminal B garage when traveling since it is such a hassle. I still used it now and then when picking someone up at Terminal B when their flight was delayed (the Staties still get on your case if you wait too long in the pickup lane). Ever since they opened the free cell phone lots I always wait in one of them when picking someone up. You're only about 5 minutes from any of the terminals. Just wait for them to call when they’ve got their bags and just meet them at the curb in front of their terminal.

I flew out of Boston on American last week. Check in was normal except the counter agent had no clue how to perform the process. She was concerned that I had my ammo in a MTM ammo case and not the factory box. His despite her reading the part about other containers designed to hold ammunition.

Fortunately another agent knew the procedure. The first one still asked me multiple times if I was sure the gun wasn't loaded.

At Austin, the bag was kept in the luggage office, which no one bothered to tell me was going to happen. According to the lady in the office that is a per airport decision, not company wide.

Today when i tried to check in on line for the home bound flight, the app flagged the reservation and said that American requires in person check-in. I've never seen that before and don't know if it's an American thing or industrywide procedure.

I'll post a follow up when I get back.

I've flown multiple times on SWA and never had an issue, so might just be American sucking as they do.

I flew out of Boston on American last week. Check in was normal except the counter agent had no clue how to perform the process. She was concerned that I had my ammo in a MTM ammo case and not the factoy Fortunately another agent did.

At Austin, the bag was kept in the luggage office, which no one bothered to tell me was going to happen. According to the lady in the office that is a per airport decision, not company wide.

Today when i tried to check in on line for the home bound flight, the app flagged the reservation and said that American requires in person check-in. I've never seen that before and don't know if it's an American thing or industrywide procedure.

I'll post a follow up when I get back.
Delta did that to me once. If they know you checked a firearm on the first leg, they assume you'll be doing the same on subsequent legs.

I flew out of Boston on American last week. Check in was normal except the counter agent had no clue how to perform the process. She was concerned that I had my ammo in a MTM ammo case and not the factory box. His despite her reading the part about other containers designed to hold ammunition.
I would have replied "I manufactured that ammo myself and placed in that box when completed, so it is in the original manufacturer's packaging".

In person checking of bags containing firearms being required is pretty much my experience, as they need to be declared and get the "Declared firearm" tag .... which pacified the TSA luggage inspectors.

I had more trouble in Raleigh, NC than in Boston. Used my regular keyed masterlocks and trigger locks for good looks. Print the TSA and your carriers regs and keep with the guns. I also put an Apple Air Tag in the case so I could track with my phone. Make sure to use a heavy-duty case and lock every available point. Good luck. I think I actually got thru security quicker than usual! And If you have TSA precheck, really helps also...

Southwest doesn't do that, probably because it would crimp early bird check in revenue.
In person checking of bags containing firearms being required is pretty much my experience, as they need to be declared and get the "Declared firearm" tag .... which pacified the TSA luggage inspectors.

I have Pre Check and TSA has never been a problem as far as checking firearms goes.

I always have print outs of the TSA regs and airplane contract of carriage section on firearms.

I had more trouble in Raleigh, NC than in Boston. Used my regular keyed masterlocks and trigger locks for good looks. Print the TSA and your carriers regs and keep with the guns. I also put an Apple Air Tag in the case so I could track with my phone. Make sure to use a heavy-duty case and lock every available point. Good luck. I think I actually got thru security quicker than usual! And If you have TSA precheck, really helps also...

Southwest doesn't do that, probably because it would crimp early bird check in revenue.
The gun declaration tag is a TSA requirement and the lack of it can cause problems at baggage search time.

I also use a steel cable to secure my gun to the inside of my large suitcase so that a handler cannot open my bag and sneak the gun out inside a jacket or pocket.

SWA puts the responsibility on the gun owner, which is where it belongs. That's where they all placed it up until recently.

I do the same with a small Gun Vault.

The gun declaration tag is a TSA requirement and the lack of it can cause problems at baggage search time.

I also use a steel cable to secure my gun to the inside of my large suitcase so that a handler cannot open my bag and sneak the gun out inside a jacket or pocket.

Got back a couple of hours ago. Austin was much better organized. As it happened, the woman that checked us in was training a new agent and so went through the whole process. No need to open the case, as the card I signed was certification that the gun was empty, ammunition was stored separately, etc... Also, American policy is that guns need to go to the Baggage Service Office (BSO) and not on the carousel with regular luggage.

At Logan I showed them the claim check and they handed over the suitcase.

Just that simple.

Got back a couple of hours ago. Austin was much better organized. As it happened, the woman that checked us in was training a new agent and so went through the whole process. No need to open the case, as the card I signed was certification that the gun was empty, ammunition was stored separately, etc... Also, American policy is that guns need to go to the Baggage Service Office (BSO) and not on the carousel with regular luggage.

At Logan I showed them the claim check and they handed over the suitcase.

Just that simple.
According to the TSA ammo can be in the same locked case, just not in the firearm. Has to be in a suitable container for ammunition and securely packaged.

Airlines can be more restrictive, but not less restrictive than the TSA regs. I didn't see anything on the AA Contract of Carriage about ammo being separate, but that's what I do anyway, so it didn't matter to me. Jet Blue and Air Tran used to require the ammunition to be in a separate suitcase. Which was not quite possible if you were only traveling with one suitcase.

When Air Tran was bought by Southwest, in theory if one leg of a multi leg flight was on Air Trans you were supposed to still do that. Which wasn't really an issue since I always booked on SWA and went to their counter. Once Air Tran went away, it was no longer an issue at all.

The TSA says that guns, magazines, and ammo can be in the same case, but the ammo can't be in the gun or magazines. Which I think is a change from the older set of rules.

According to the TSA ammo can be in the same locked case, just not in the firearm. Has to be in a suitable container for ammunition and securely packaged.

In Phoenix a few weeks ago the American agent walked me to a TSA agent who wanted to look in my bag and in my gun case. He asked for the combination and I told him that I'm not supposed to give that out. He laughed it off and "let me" open it myself. Ignorant, ignorant, ignorant.

Read the current TSA regs. They've modified that. That said, I never use a combination lock when flying. If I gave it away I'd have to enter a new combination which I might not be able to do immediately.

In Phoenix a few weeks ago the American agent walked me to a TSA agent who wanted to look in my bag and in my gun case. He asked for the combination and I told him that I'm not supposed to give that out. He laughed it off and "let me" open it myself. Ignorant, ignorant, ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom