• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tisas USA - Good or Bad?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Been seeing a lot of advertisements on Ticas 1911s lately. While they look good on paper I'm wondering if anyone has one and what's your thoughts on it. Is it a poor mans RIA or something a little better quality and fit wise?

Been seeing a lot of advertisements on Ticas 1911s lately. While they look good on paper I'm wondering if anyone has one and what's your thoughts on it. Is it a poor mans RIA or something a little better quality and fit wise?
Its Tisas........way better than RIA IMHO. By far, and cheaper better made, machined and finished better, and run better. They don't clutter up the slide with shit words, and they hide the import mark underside of the dustcover.

I have three of them. 2 Commanders one in 9mm, one stainless in .45. I have another full size 9mm. I bought what they call the "carry" model...its got features like an aluminum longer trigger, full memory bump backstrap, novak type dovetail 3 dots and commander hammer, and front and back angled slide serrations.

You can get the Army model for the same price but it doesn't have anything on it, its for people that want a US Army clone.

They are also forged and not cast. Not sure if there is MIM parts or not.

Doesn't matter to me when your paying 329 dollars for a decently made 1911, note this was an on sale price. For the Stainless 45 I paid about 70 dollars more on sale.

My only regret is they don't make stainless ones in 9mm......I had to buy the black ceracote....but its a nice finish overall. People tell me that 1911 9mm's don't run well, these do. No bobbles in 500 rounds with factory ammo with either of them.

The black rubber grips kinda suck, so I throw a 20 dollar set of Amazon Gunns on them and it makes them look great. I also added Ed Brown Magwells too. Still all in Im under 500 dollars.

Last edited:
I don’t own one, but I heard good things:

Picked one up for $319 a while back, not bad, trigger is a bit heavy and could use some smoothing out.

Why not just get an Auto Ordnance? Made in Worcester on OEM tooling. . .
And they are owned by Kahr Arms that also owns Magnum Research.

Unlike other fag manufacturers, when Kahr buys companies, they expand the product lines. Look at MR before and after.

Tisas is Turkatron 1911s. Ok value for what they are, it's better than Taurus or other crap like that.

This is true. Triggers are a touch rough. But shootable.
Everything in skinflint class is rough. 🤣

I think out of the Turkatrons the value prop is OK though. I never saw any that were horribly fitted. (I have seen worse remington etc)

And they are owned by Kahr Arms that also owns Magnum Research.

Unlike other fag manufacturers, when Kahr buys companies, they expand the product lines. Look at MR before and after.
AO repros have a horrible reputation though. Not on the same planet as the $700 guns MR sells under the DE branding, which are superb.

ETA: actually I'll be honest I haven't seen an AO Repro in a long time dealers don't bother buying them anymore not when you can get turkatron ones. The type of nippleheads that deliberately buy the worst iteration of the 1911 pattern are usually going to want the thing with the cheapest price LOL.... of course I'm not talking about nostalgia guys who like just want something that looks cool like their granddad carried in World War II or something. I get that... but everybody else buying repros is just flinting, hard usually. (Cuz dey are the cheapest 1911 pattern)

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a group buy as well.

Why? So you guys can make a dealer bust ass to save $30 a gun? 🤣 I can't imagine that there's a lot of air in the margins on these things.

ETA: there might be more savings with the actual higher grade guns that they sell typically in the $5-600 range.... but still.

Last edited:
I almost bought one of the "Carry" ones a couple of times. The only reason I didn't is because these are the types of guns that, for me at least, I'm going to end up changing shit on and that will cost me more than it would in time and gun plumber $$ than it would just buying the better gun to begin with. Are you buying it just to buy a 1911 or what? Whats the motive? I think most people are better served by dropping $700 or whatever it is on the MR deagle 1911. Imho cheapest 1911s are "johhny 1 box at the range, then leaves" type skinflint false "money saving" paradoxes. They're great if you're going to look at it more than shoot it. If you actually shoot it you will eventually want to change a bunch of parts. ..... 🤣

I almost bought one of the "Carry" ones a couple of times. The only reason I didn't is because these are the types of guns that, for me at least, I'm going to end up changing shit on and that will cost me more than it would in time and gun plumber $$ than it would just buying the better gun to begin with. Are you buying it just to buy a 1911 or what? Whats the motive? I think most people are better served by dropping $700 or whatever it is on the MR deagle 1911. Imho cheapest 1911s are "johhny 1 box at the range, then leaves" type skinflint false "money saving" paradoxes. They're great if you're going to look at it more than shoot it. If you actually shoot it you will eventually want to change a bunch of parts. ..... 🤣
I plan on shooting mine and not putting shit on it. If it fails and needs new parts, I guess I'll replace them, but otherwise....I'm gonna shoot it and not change a thing. Its why I bought the carry, pretty much all the stuff I need. I know its not a 1500 dollar 1911 and I don't want it to be, nor do I want to build it to be. Throwing a 20 dollar set of grips on it and a magwell is not exactly going crazy and ending up somehow north of a 700 dollar 1911. Not going to happen.

Will they shoot loose and be crap....don't know, but after 500 there is very little wear on frame or slide, and cerakote is totally intact at wear points, which means to me fit is likely good. With several Rock Islands, one Ruger, and one Remington under my belt I can say for sure they the examples of the guns I have are much better than Rock Islands and Remington (which was shit), and at least equal to the Ruger, all of those are still above the price point of these Tisas. Do I expect it to last like a 700 dollar 1911.....yes, maybe.........a 3000 dollar 1911.....no.

I had an itch for a 1911 9mm.....and really pleased with the value for the money on these guns. To me.....its like when Canik came out.....Holy shit a 250 dollar 9mm plastic gun with a half decent trigger that runs like a top! Similar.....its still a cheap gun, and for those that don't want to spend a ton of money....it runs. Thats all some people want.

I do agree, if I were looking for a 700 dollar 1911, DE or Bul Armory or Springfield Garrison would be my pick.......

Last edited:
I plan on shooting mine and not putting shit on it. If it fails and needs new parts, I guess I'll replace them, but otherwise....I'm gonna shoot it and not change a thing. Its why I bought the carry, pretty much all the stuff I need. I know its not a 1500 dollar 1911 and I don't want it to be, nor do I want to build it to be. Throwing a 20 dollar set of grips on it and a magwell is not exactly going crazy and ending up somehow north of a 700 dollar 1911. Not going to happen.

/biased rant on
I just can't see pouring .45 ACP through a 1911 with a marginal trigger with "meh" sights and controls that cause even minor annoyance. (to me) the whole point of a 1911 is to win big on ergos and trigger, and if the gun I am runnning is subpar in those departments I'm just not going to shoot it. Low end 1911s to me are just money pits/dust collectors with poor value prop. Like if I bought a Tisas I would shoot it once to make sure it wasnt broken, but then the thing would safe-rot until it went to a gunsmith to have all the stupid poor quality controls and shit fixed on it that every other cheap 1911 needs to get fixed. Like if I had to reduce myself to that I just wouldnt own a 1911 at this point. Then again I am biased ive probably launched like 20K (which is nothing) rounds down a whole bunch of 1911s from $400 clunkers to $4000+ SVIs. (and no, I dont think someone will realize the value in an SVI, or at least most people wont, but the delta is pretty obvious) When you start crawling away from the "chuck e cheese ball pit of $400 1911s" though, IMHO get markedly better. I just dont buy into the logic of fussing over a value delta thats less than a couple cases of ammo. If money is that hard up I'm just not buying "the thing". The older I get the more I hate things that have poor value prop. (I realize everyone elses calculus for this is different, but to me these kinds of guns are poor value prop) it really doesnt hit you, mentally, till you work at a gun shop and some poor bastard comes in wanting to trade in something like that and you cant offer him shit because its not worth shit used. Even if it is a decent gun, the spot market value retention thing is going to be poor. The only upside to guns like this is they are worthless enough that you dont bother to attempt selling them to make money, so youll keep the gun forever! [laugh]

I alsmo have a thing where when I die whoever gets my shit, I dont want to burden them with (too much) garbage that will take up space or whatever. I've seen that meme too many times. You see a widow come in with a bunch of stuff and you feel bad for her because her husband was a goddam skinflint and the stuff is worth nothing.

With cheap 1911s though usually I end up responding like Quagmire....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK_YpGm1Fj4

ok /biased rant off [rofl]

That said, all of that aside... the black "Tisas" guns didnt immediately inspire this response though. Objectively better than the others in this class, but still need help. At least not the "this gun was fitted by a retard" type of help though, which makes it less of a money pit than the others. Like I didnt run my finger over the slide to frame fit on most of them and be like "ok, im not even going to bother racking the slide because its already f***ed up" stuff... [rofl] like at least they had a halfway decent attempt at trying to get the parts to line up. Honestly those guns make Remington R1s etc look like f***ing pieces of flaming dog shit garbage. (R1 is literally the shittiiest 1911 pattern gun ive ever dealt with in my life, what a f***ing hunk of poorly QCed dog meat).

IMHO Tisas product is usually good enough that you could sell the guns and not feel like you were ripping someone off. Then again most of those people know theyre are playing in the skinflint ball pit anyways. And 95% of them wont put more than a few thou rounds through the thing, and an even bigger portion of that 95% will fire it once or twice and then it will safe rot.

Will they shoot loose and be crap....don't know, but after 500 there is very little wear on frame or slide, and cerakote is totally intact at wear points, which means to me fit is likely good. With several Rock Islands, one Ruger, and one Remington under my belt I can say for sure they the examples of the guns I have are much better than Rock Islands and Remington (which was shit), and at least equal to the Ruger, all of those are still above the price point of these Tisas.

500 rounds is basically nothing. But IMHO the fitting usually seems good enough that the guns are not going to destroy themselves, so there's that. I've seen far worse smiths and others. Even krapbers. At least in this case I thiink Tisas is decent in the class that its in, given the bottom end of the market has a lot of detrietus in it.

/biased rant on
I just can't see pouring .45 ACP through a 1911 with a marginal trigger with "meh" sights and controls that cause even minor annoyance. (to me) the whole point of a 1911 is to win big on ergos and trigger, and if the gun I am runnning is subpar in those departments I'm just not going to shoot it. Low end 1911s to me are just money pits/dust collectors with poor value prop. Like if I bought a Tisas I would shoot it once to make sure it wasnt broken, but then the thing would safe-rot until it went to a gunsmith to have all the stupid poor quality controls and shit fixed on it that every other cheap 1911 needs to get fixed. Like if I had to reduce myself to that I just wouldnt own a 1911 at this point. Then again I am biased ive probably launched like 20K (which is nothing) rounds down a whole bunch of 1911s from $400 clunkers to $4000+ SVIs. (and no, I dont think someone will realize the value in an SVI, or at least most people wont, but the delta is pretty obvious) When you start crawling away from the "chuck e cheese ball pit of $400 1911s" though, IMHO get markedly better. I just dont buy into the logic of fussing over a value delta thats less than a couple cases of ammo. If money is that hard up I'm just not buying "the thing". The older I get the more I hate things that have poor value prop. (I realize everyone elses calculus for this is different, but to me these kinds of guns are poor value prop) it really doesnt hit you, mentally, till you work at a gun shop and some poor bastard comes in wanting to trade in something like that and you cant offer him shit because its not worth shit used. Even if it is a decent gun, the spot market value retention thing is going to be poor. The only upside to guns like this is they are worthless enough that you dont bother to attempt selling them to make money, so youll keep the gun forever! [laugh]

I alsmo have a thing where when I die whoever gets my shit, I dont want to burden them with (too much) garbage that will take up space or whatever. I've seen that meme too many times. You see a widow come in with a bunch of stuff and you feel bad for her because her husband was a goddam skinflint and the stuff is worth nothing.

That said, all of that aside... the black "Tisas" guns didnt immediately inspire this response though. Objectively better than the others in this class, but still need help. At least not the "this gun was fitted by a retard" type of help though, which makes it less of a money pit than the others. Like I didnt run my finger over the slide to frame fit on most of them and be like "ok, im not even going to bother racking the slide because its already f***ed up" stuff... [rofl] like at least they had a halfway decent attempt at trying to get the parts to line up. Honestly those guns make Remington R1s etc look like f***ing pieces of flaming dog shit garbage. (R1 is literally the shittiiest 1911 pattern gun ive ever dealt with in my life, what a f***ing hunk of poorly QCed dog meat).

IMHO Tisas product is usually good enough that you could sell the guns and not feel like you were ripping someone off. Then again most of those people know theyre are playing in the skinflint ball pit anyways. And 95% of them wont put more than a few thou rounds through the thing, and an even bigger portion of that 95% will fire it once or twice and then it will safe rot.

500 rounds is basically nothing. But IMHO the fitting usually seems good enough that the guns are not going to destroy themselves, so there's that. I've seen far worse smiths and others. Even krapbers. At least in this case I thiink Tisas is decent in the class that its in, given the bottom end of the market has a lot of detrietus in it.

You have changed my mind on these with your posts. Thank you.

/biased rant on

I am not sure how a 1911 can have a bad trigger. But if it does, I consider the entire gun to be a major piece of sh*t.

You have to be a major skinflint manufacturer to f*ck up a 1911 trigger. I could see S&W f*cking it up, but even they don't seem to f*ck it up, and they are king Skinflint amongst gun manufacturers.

Anyone that wants a sub $1K 1911 that is better quality than a $1500 1911, do yourself a favor and get a Magnum Research 1911. You can thank me later.

Bonus 1 - their customer service is awesome.
Bonus 2 - manufactured in 'Murica.
Bonus 3 - unlike most gun companies, MR continues to build cool sh*t, rather than sticking to the same junk everyone else builds.

Edit: correction - I don't think they are manufactured un the U.S

Last edited:
I am not sure how a 1911 can have a bad trigger. But if it does, I consider the entire gun to be a major piece of sh*t.

You have to be a major skinflint manufacturer to f*ck up a 1911 trigger. I could see S&W f*cking it up, but even they don't seem to f*ck it up, and they are king Skinflint amongst gun manufacturers.

Anyone that wants a sub $1K 1911 that is better quality than a $1500 1911, do yourself a favor and get a Magnum Research 1911. You can thank me later.

Bonus 1 - their customer service is awesome.
Bonus 2 - manufactured in 'Murica.
Bonus 3 - unlike most gun companies, MR continues to build cool sh*t, rather than sticking to the same junk everyone else builds.

Nearly all the cheap 1911 manufacturers dont test the trigger, although if they use good components the odds of getting a bad trigger drop
precipitously. Most cheap 1911s have either heavy triggers or grit. I dont remember the Tisas being too garbagey but they broke slightly heavy, but then again nearly everything under 1000 bucks does 7 out of 10 times. . That was one of many things about the MR that stood out, it broke clean and couldnt have been more than 4.5-5 pounds tops. The MR also had front strap checkering and decent grip panels I was impressed for like a $700ish gun. I wouldnt say its better than a $1500 1911 per se but the MR pitches way way way above its weight. It makes a lot of other guns in class look like doodoo. the springers and smiths that are under a grand look/feel like shit compared to that MR.

Smith does f*** up triggers all the time BTW. I remember back in the day you could probably test 10 of them and youd have some great ones that you were like "wow this is a smith product?" then youd get other ones that were like 7 pound crunch shithouse triggers. Probably because whoever was making them sears wasnt doing a great job, or a tolerance stack somewhere. Its like nobody ever bothered to dry fire the gun a couple times before putting it in a box. If they had they would have failed it and sent it back so that a consumer doesnt get that trash.

You have changed my mind on these with your posts. Thank you.
Sure, go out and buy a Kimber or something like that, and then start replacing the MIM parts that start breaking. Too many people equate quality with price, "it cost a lot...so it must be better". Plenty of expensive pieces of dog shit out there. Best 1911 I own, cost a whopping $399. Taylors & Company in 10mm. Best out of the box trigger, sights, grips etc. Fit and finish are superb, but that is wasted on guys that like plastic, dishwasher safe crap that blows your fingers off.

Back
Top Bottom