Titegroup in 40 S&W ?

Anyone loading .40S&W with Titegroup powder?
I have seen lots of loads for the 180 gr bullet with all kinds of powders and there doesn't seem to be a clear favorite.
I'm looking for a full (factory equivalent) load to use with cast bullets.
Until now, I've used mostly WWB factory loads in my Sigs and now have several thousands of brass so it's probably time to fire up the press.
I tried a few hundred 175 gr TCs with Bulleye but didn't find the accuracy to be particularly good and the gun was very dirty afterwards.
They will be loaded on a progressive press, so uniform metering is a consideration.

Jack

Jack- never used Titegroup for .40 S&W but I will say that Power Pistol should suit your needs!

For .40 S&W loads either Titegroup or Vihta Vouri N320 is a great choice. Titgroup is much easier to get than the VVN320 so that is usually a good decision plus it is much less expensive. Bullseye is such a dirty powder that I'm amazed so many people are still using it. As for a load use the Hodgen info to determine MAXIMUM grains and start 5-10% lower to determine a load that works best for you. If you're looking for a simple plinking load then you can go even lower so long as it will still cycle the gun. Good luck and keep us posted.

Pete

I understand that Titegroup and 180 grain jacketed bullets are popular with USPSA shooters, particularly when long-loaded for double-stack guns.

I use WST under moly-coated bullets and N350 under the jacketed ones.

J-

For IPSC I use 4.7gr of TG under a 180gr jacketed hollow point. I set the OAL at 1.175" It makes major power factor without any problem from my Para 1640 and is quite accurate.

J-

For IPSC I use 4.7gr of TG under a 180gr jacketed hollow point. I set the OAL at 1.175" It makes major power factor without any problem from my Para 1640 and is quite accurate.
Whitey,
A couple of Qs, if you don't mind.
Why a JHP instead of a cheaper cast or plated bullet for target shooting?
1.175" is quite a bit longer than the 1.135" listed in the manuals. Why so long?

TIA, Jack

1.135" is listed in the manuals because that is what will fit in the shorter mags, like a Glock. Paras and other 1911 can take a longer round.

Whitey,
A couple of Qs, if you don't mind.
Why a JHP instead of a cheaper cast or plated bullet for target shooting?
1.175" is quite a bit longer than the 1.135" listed in the manuals. Why so long?

TIA, Jack

When using a .40 round in a 1911 pistol we always load the round longer. This is because a .40 1911 is built to the same dimensions as a .45 1911. That being said a .45ACP round is longer than a .40S&W. So, we load the .40 longer to help feeding. In my custom .40 1911's I actually load to 1.20".

A lot of people stay away from plated bullets because it is believed the plating starts to come apart at a certain powerfactor. Definetely NOT a good thing. Most of us COMPLETELY stay away from cast bullets for several reasons. First, being they cause a ton of smoke. Not a good thing when shooting a 25-32 round stage. 2nd, I stay away from lead at all costs for safety reasons. Not too keen on messing around with it. Other will disagree but I would rather be safer. 3rd is that it makes a mess of reloading dies. I'm all set on having the wax gum up my dies. 4th is that a lot of us don't like running it thru our barrels. Some say it's better than jacketed because it's softer but for me it makes my guns harder to clean. Let's just say I HATE cleaning my guns.

We also use JHP bullets because it is believed they are more accurate. Something to do with having more weight toward the rear of the bullet helps keep the bullet stable while in flight. That being said, I've switched to FMJ on some of my loads as the JHP's have been on back order and I can't tell a difference.

Pete

1.175 - 1.180 is a typical length for loading ammo for SVI, STI, the Bat Sto STI copy and I believe Para. Precision Delta Ammo has a factory load in this length.

I've used Titegroup on with a 180gr 40 FMJ, 180gp JHP and 200gr JHP. My 200 JHP loads took 7th place in Limited in the 2001 USPSA Nationals. No, it wasn't me ... I was unable to get out there due courtesy of the "religion of peace" folks, but my ammo was shipped ahead by UPS and made it. Talk about pressure - giving one of your buddies who did make instructions to "give it to someone whose ammo didn't make it" and learning that one of the top shooters in the country was about to bet his nationals performance on my reloads. Fortunately for all concerned, they were all good :).

The March 05 issue of Shooting Times has a article by Mike Venturino on loading cast bullets for the .40 S&W. Using Titegroup, Bullseye, W231 and Unique.
With Titegroup he uses 4.5 gr over a 168-gr RN/FP, 16-gr SWC, 175-gr RN/FP and a 177-gr RN/FP.

Jack,

I think your questions have been answered. Thanks guys- it saved me from more typing. ;o)

I choose JHP mostly for similar reasons the Pete and the guys mentioned. I only use my Para for IPSC so the load I specified is my competition load. For practice I do load 180gr plated bullets to the same spec but I have found them to be much less accurate, hence my switch to JHP.

Occasionally I will use my Para for a steel match with a 155gr FP bullet over 4.5 gr of 231. I can not remember my OAL on this one as I am at work. I think it is within the spec of my reloading manual, however. This is a much lighter load than my IPSC load.

Remember- I am loading 4.7gr of TG under a 180g at a longer OAL than what is specified in the manuals. As the bullet gets deeper in the case your pressures will go up. What ever bullet weight and OAL you decide to go with start conservative with your powder charge and work your way up to what works best for you and your type of shooting.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom