To The Guy I May Have Pissed Off in the Gun Store Today

My story, I was looking at a gun and was planning to buy it when some guy walks in and announces that he wanted to buy the gun. The dealer pointed to me and said that I was looking at it. I was planning on asking if he could do anything on the price, but with this guy hanging on my shoulder I said I'll take it, in part because I had been looking for that model for a while and second because he pissed me off. The price was good but I almost never buy anything without asking if they could do better on the price. If he had kept his mouth shut I may have put it down to think about it some more and he would have likely ended up with it. I was pissed and happy at the same time.

I had this happen with a set of winter boots in Kohls. This dude and his wife were rummaging through the boot aisle for like 30 minutes and used the cart to block the aisle so nobody else could even get in there to look. They eventually moved to the next aisle with the same rummaging routine and I went in, picked up the only size 10 and put them in my cart to try on in another aisle. The dude flipped out when I went into the aisle and ran in to see which ones I picked up and was pretty angry. They watched me try them on (perfect fit!) and followed me around for 10 minutes, I think to see if I was going to leave the cart unattended. I finally asked them to leave me alone, they were creepy. Still have those boots...

Well, I'm guessing it couldn't have been at R&R cuz they don't have handguns on the wall and Richie would never move that fast. Where was ya?

I Was at a military show once looking at a nice SS Dagger. As I was holding it looking it over I noticed the guy standing next to it looking it over too. I held onto it for 20 minutes while I was deciding to buy it. He stood there for every minute waiting for me to put it down so he could swoop it up.

I keep seeing the same gun at a decent price (I think anyway, a used rock island 1911 for $400) that I desperately want but I'm afraid if I bring it home the wife will use it to bludgeon me to death so I'm hoping someone does swoop in so I can put it off for a few more months ...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

happened to my friend a few weeks ago.... nice 1903a3 on the rack 1200$ my friends knuckles where white while holding on to it he did not want to put it down. I told him go offer the 750 you got im your pocket.... I had to leave. Later he called all pissed because he went to the bank to get more money in case the dealer said no. I found out a few days later who bought it and he claims he walked out the door at 700$! I don't have the heart to tell my other friend but he will find out soon enough as they frequent the range and often see each other.

He should have offered the $750, and if the seller balked, used it as a deposit to hold until he hit the bank.

I picked up a series 70 that way. At a gun show, guy next to me asked to see it, looks it over, makes an offer and the dealer makes a counter. Guy says he'll think about it, hands the gun back to the dealer and I say I'll take it.

Guy mumbled that I was an "effin a hole" as he walked away

I keep seeing the same gun at a decent price (I think anyway, a used rock island 1911 for $400) that I desperately want but I'm afraid if I bring it home the wife will use it to bludgeon me to death so I'm hoping someone does swoop in so I can put it off for a few more months ...

Hell, the great things about handguns is that they don't take up a ton of space. Slide it in the house and then tell your wife you've had it for a couple of years...lol

I found a beat up 870 on the rack for short money, like 125.00, it was a used ( well used ) Pittsburgh police gun, had the wear marks from sitting in the lock mount most of its life. I pick it up check it out guy walks in looking for a cheap 12G and I don't know what I was thinking but I said it don't get any better than this one.
He looks at it and says ring it up. I'm looking at myself in the security mirror and I'm saying you dummy next time keep your mouth shut.

Jason.

I buy older things including what I call "nicer firearms" because I have no use for rails on a pistol and think they are ugly on them. My wife and I have walked away from stuff we admired as we kept looking and SOB when we have wanted to buy it it's already gone.

We learned that if one or both of us likes it... we buy it then and now. If you are undecided you better stop screwing around because one of us may be standing behind you and we buy it because we can and don't need to ask each other if it's OK.

life is a yard sale, if you put it down for a second and someone else picks it up, its gone. I have had people follow me around at yard sales and swap shops, waiting for me to put it down. Even ask me , can I see that, can I hold that, NO.
Once at a swap shop, there was a "Dooney and Bourque" pocket book, that I stumbled upon, that had just a minute ago been put on the swap shops' website facebook, and it was lunch hour. "dooney and Bourque is a fancy pants big $$ womens hand bag. Well, these women were showing up and following me around, I noticed this and started to have fun with it. Pretending, to rest it on a table, while holding onto it, and looking at something else. The store manager was getting absolutely BS with me, as every one was watching every move that I made. "Are you going buy that or what...?
"I am thinking about it...." To the point of some folks were getting red faced. So I paid for it, and still hung around to watch for more drama. I now use it as a tool kit for my truck.

We PM a lot back and forth on the S&W Forum. He lives in eastern MA, so we hit a lot of the same gun shops. I have a list of stuff he's interested in that I'm not, and he has a list of stuff I'm interested in that he's not or already has. Then there is a short list of stuff we both want.

It works out pretty well.

That's kinda funny the other guy came back and snuck one from you. [rofl]

Reminds me of when Carl listed a pre-98 exempt Sig P210. He said the gun sold in 5 minutes and the shop was flooded with calls for an hour until he delisted the gun. [rofl]

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

A late friend of mine was a collector and FFL for about 40 years. He used to do that all the time to his wife. He'd be working on a gun he just bought and his wife would ask if it was new. He'd tell her no. Which wasn't actually a lie, because he bought it used.

Hell, the great things about handguns is that they don't take up a ton of space. Slide it in the house and then tell your wife you've had it for a couple of years...lol

27732660200_abde896be9_o.jpg

I had a similar experience buying my first rifle. I went into the shop to look for a rifle. Was a nice used one on the rack I took some time with. The price was good but it was also expensive. Fast forward a few days it's still there. I wouldn't have been sad if it had gone but it was still there.

Another guy had it in his hands. He puts it down and says he will be back in a couple of days. I walk up to the counter make a comment about the gun getting a bit of interest and next tell them I'll take it. We worked out our deal, as soon as the gun got put behind the counter a third guy said he was just going to buy it. In the 10 min it took for me to run to the bank for the cash (didn't want to use credit) the original guy called the shop to have them put the gun to the side for him. When I get back they tell me the story and that the original guy was pissed for not picking it up while he was there.

I said well I guess it's my lucky day. Needless to say the gun is sitting in my house.

Oh yes, learned that lesson yeeeeeeeeeears ago. If you're pretty serious, don't let go of it until you either decide to buy it or leave it. And if you're actually serious, have a quick conversation with yourself about whether the $20 or $50 or maybe even $100 you think the gun might be overpriced is really going to matter to you this time next year. Hint: it probably won't. Seize the moment, and if someone else acts while you're dithering, suck it up, forget about it and move on.

I apologize for my actions, but you did give that pistol back to the owner to put back on the wall while you thought about it.

I have learned from similar experiences that you need to know what you want, and if you see it, make your decision right then. And I did.

You can be angry at me and that's okay. You can be angry at yourself, that's the way we learn. But please don't be angry at the dealer. His job is to sell guns, not hold on to them while someone might be thinking about it.

So, hopefully no hard feelings.

My story, I was looking at a gun and was planning to buy it when some guy walks in and announces that he wanted to buy the gun. The dealer pointed to me and said that I was looking at it. I was planning on asking if he could do anything on the price, but with this guy hanging on my shoulder I said I'll take it, in part because I had been looking for that model for a while and second because he pissed me off. The price was good but I almost never buy anything without asking if they could do better on the price. If he had kept his mouth shut I may have put it down to think about it some more and he would have likely ended up with it. I was pissed and happy at the same time.

You bet.

That's a lesson I never had to learn. I figured it out right from the get-go.

If another person has an item you want in their hands, show no interest at all. Keep close, though.

More than once they've put it down.

I picked up a series 70 that way. At a gun show, guy next to me asked to see it, looks it over, makes an offer and the dealer makes a counter. Guy says he'll think about it, hands the gun back to the dealer and I say I'll take it.

Guy mumbled that I was an "effin a hole" as he walked away

He had his chance.

A) don't have that many to get lost in the middle of
B) trying to pay off cc's and get down payment on the next house so we are reviewing what we spend where... so it's small amounts of cash put aside each week :)

I apologize for my actions...you need to know what you want...You can be angry at me and that's okay....

Now I'm angry at you for buying that gun I may have wanted but didn't know about 'cause I wasn't there.

(How am I supposed to know whether I like it unless OTHER people like it first?!?)

In general I try to be a nice person but screw apologizing for a dumb ass. If he wanted it, it should have went to the cash register.

Had a similar issue, shop had a one day sale on shields and I stopped in to check them out. I was short on time for a background ck so I asked about coming back and they said they had plenty. Came back and was told sold out but they would order me one at the normal price. Told them never mind, but got a call saying it came in a week later, after a little conversation they honored the sale price. If I had not been told "they had plenty" I would not of complained but they made it right.

Back
Top Bottom