Tomorrow, I'm applying for the Class A LTC

Dunno if this was covered in any of the other stickies around here, but I'm applying for an Class A LTC in Falmouth, MA tomorrow. Is there anything I should be aware of going in? Will the fact that I'm a graduate student affect the process? I've lived in MA full time now for almost 2 years.

I've put down as my reasoning for carrying as "home defense, target practice and hunting/skeet shooting"? Is this incorrect, or do I need to get white-out and replace with All Lawful Purposes?

Again, sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

I have no knowledge of Falmouth but I would guess writing

"home defense, target practice and hunting/skeet shooting"?

would get you a restricted target and hunting permit

Tom

Well, like I said, I'm a graduate student, so I spend most of my day over a computer or in the laboratory.

Would having a target and/or hunting license prohibit me from carrying a revolver in a backpack during hikes in bear country?

Well, like I said, I'm a graduate student, so I spend most of my day over a computer or in the laboratory.

Would having a target and/or hunting license prohibit me from carrying a revolver in a backpack during hikes in bear country?

Yes.

Put down "All Lawful Purposes."

Why restrict yourself? If Falmouth is going to downgrade your license, let them do it. They don't need your help.

The only way you can carry at all is with a no restriction class A, you should apply for an "All Lawful Purpose" no matter what you will be doing. This is the only reason you should have to give unless Falmouth has a policy of requiring more which is not right but unless you want to go to court then you have to live with it.

But once again in the reason area put "All Lawful Purposes".

But also remember that if you are on campus that is a whole other matter and probably can't have a gun at all while there, so check the laws and rules of your school.

1) Put down "For all lawful purposes."

2) You cannot carry it on school property - any school.

3) Yes, you could carry it in your backpack as long as you get a "None" in the restrictions section on the license, and, you make sure you're out of the woods 1/2 hour before sunset.

(Did I get the last one right Scriv? [wink] )

No. However, having the revolver in your backpack while in bear country might well prevent it from actually being useful.

Unless you're a Treadwell wanna-be....[rolleyes]

BEARS AND BIRDFEEDERS
To avoid possible seasonal conflicts between people and bears in central and western Massachusetts, MassWildlife recommends that bird feeders be taken down by mid-March and that other preventive actions be taken. With the lack of snow and warmer days, bears are now leaving their winter dens. "There is little in the way of natural foods and bears learn to seek out high-energy human foods such as bird seed," says Jim Cardoza, MassWildlife Bear Project Leader. "This may lead to conflicts that pose hazards to both bears and people." Though Massachusetts is third most densely populated state in the country, it is also home to approximately 2000 resident bears with the majority living west of the Connecticut River. Bears also reside as far east as Worcester County and northern Middlesex County.

Bears have excellent long-term memories and remember which foods are available at different seasons, and where these foods can be found. Even if a feeder is inaccessible to bears, they will be attracted by the scent of seed and suet and they will scavenge seed spilled on the ground. Once they learn the location of these foods, they will return. Bears are typically shy and fearful of people but deliberate feeding or indirect availability of human food, coupled with a lack of harassment can cause bears to become accustomed to people. If bears lose their fear of people and develop a taste for human foodstuffs, bears can become bolder and may cause damage that ultimately leads to harm to people or to the demise of the animal.

If a bear is passing through a neighborhood without stopping, enjoy the sight. However, if the bear stops to feed on trash, bird seed or other human generated foods, remove those foods after the bear has left and advise all neighbors to do the same. Due to their fear of people, bears tend to leave a yard when people step outside. Garbage and pet food must be secured from bears. Keep garbage in airtight containers, securely stored in a cellar, garage or shed. Put trash out for roadside pickup the day of trash pickup, not the night before. Keep trash cans clean and wash them regularly to remove food scraps and fluids. Bears can break into small sheds with loose doors, especially when attracted by sweet or meaty smells. Ammonia or bleach may help deodorize trash containers. Refrain from feeding pets outdoors. Do not deposit sweet or meaty items in your compost pile as bears will soon find it. In residential areas where bears are known to be present, the entire neighborhood must take recommended actions or bears will move from yard to yard seeking food. Cardoza noted these actions also reduce problems with other common wildlife species such as coyotes, raccoons, skunks and foxes. Common sense, good sanitation, and knowledge of bear behavior and habits will go a long way to alleviating human-bear conflicts, allowing everyone to enjoy this magnificent animal while preventing damage or disturbance to our homes and yards. For more detailed black bear information, click the Wildlife button on the MassWildlife website (www.mass.gov/masswildlife).

Here are 2 links about Black Bears in Mass. http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_bears.htm

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_black_bear.htm

I'm trying to figure out where the bear country is in MA...

When I use to live in Sturbridge I spent a lot of time at Wells SP, we always saw the signs of bears like droppings and prints. Once we even had a scared women and childeren run past us saying they saw a bear and were getting out of the park (must have been city folk[laugh] ).

I don't have any experience with Falmouth but my town (westport) will no longer accept All Lawful Purposes as a reason for issuing, however if you put enough reasons on the app. it comes back with no restrictions. IIRC I put Personal protection, Home Defense, Target, Hunting, Skeet & Trap all on mine even though I don't participate in all of those activities. IMHO I would ask the officer I had to deal with his opinion on whether or not to put ALP on the license app. or to list the activities/reasons I needed the LTC for.

Would the fact that you're a graduate student have any bearing? It might well.

If I were the issuing authority, I'd ask how long you'd been in Massachusetts? Where did you reside before then? When you came to Massachusetts, was it to facilitate the graduate studies or for some other reason? Where do you go when school is on vacation (if that is a relevant issue for a graduate student in you didn't say what field)? Where do you intend to work after you've completed your degree requirements?

The point I am making is that taking up a residence in a state other than your home state for the purpose of attending school, unless coupled with a then-determined intention to remain in the new state for the indefinite future, even beyond graduation, does not make you a resident of the new state. And, of course, if you are not a resident of Massachusetts, you cannot apply for a resident LTC.

Ripatch, where are you from in Westport? I'm also in Westport. When I applied back in November ALP didn't cut it either, I needed three letters of refrence and a personal statement regarding reasons for applying. Although I didn't have a problem getting "Restrictions: None" it was quite a process.

I've lived here in MA full time for almost two years now. During my first year of my Masters studies, I lived in Cambridge in a school dormatory, which whould preclude the storage of firearms, plus the fact that I really didn't want to deal with the Cambridge PD.

Now, I've moved full time to Cape Cod to be near my research site. I've got a full time address here since last June, I've filed MA taxes. All I don't have is an MA drivers license.

I'll probably stick around for at least another 2 years. My girlfriend is working on her doctorate, so I'll stick around while she's doing that. But, I'm going to eventually move where the both of us can get jobs, and with MA going the way it is, who knows where that'll be.

Hmmm... If you don't have a MA driver's license are you still considered a MA resident? Probably not I would think. The Police will certainly run your DL against their computers and if you don't come back it will probably get you denied.

So, wait, you have to have an MA drivers license to get any sort of a card?

If you are a MA resident, you are required to have a MA drivers license. Where do you vote?

Sounds to me like you are a non resident student.

Read this http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-3.5.htm

Then check your home state for reciprocal agreements on licensing. Most states it is immediately upon being gainfully employed that you are required to obtain a resident operators license.

ALSO Don't use white out. Down load another application.

Last edited:
You are? My grandmother was born, raised, lived, and died in MA. She never drove a day in her life. She never had a MA driver's license. She was indeed a MA resident.

HER residency is not in question.

That of a student who now purports to be a Mass. resident while lacking the basic indicia of the required DL IS.

HER residency is not in question.

That of a student who now purports to be a Mass. resident while lacking the basic indicia of the required DL IS.

I am still failing to see where a DL is required. I knew plenty of students who paid taxes (minimally) and voted and lived in MA, but at least 2 I knew did not drive.

He stated that he doesn't have a MA DL. People are assuming that he holds an out of state DL. You don't need a DL to get an FID/LTC but if he's holding a DL from another state, it's kind of hard to say that you're a MA resident. Or he's admitting that he's in violation of MA Chp 90.

I would imagine that the state which you hold a permanent address (Where you pay your state taxes and vote) would be the state that you can hold a resident LTC. If you do either outside of MA, you are not a MA resident.

A MA driver's license is not required (I have to assume), however I wouldn't put it past being questioned why you still have an out-of-state license, and that may be an issue.

I know it was that way in CT...I had to change my MA DL over to a CT one before they'd let me have a CT LTC as a resident (I word it like that because there is no separate designation of Res or Non-Res LTC in CT).

Last edited:
Well, obviously, I'm holding off on this until I get some things straightened up.

Going to go talk to with my academic advisor, as I'd imagine that this thing comes up frequently.

FWIW, I pay MA taxes and have my IRS~legal address in MA. However, I still use my parents home some documents like my GA DL and my passport. I'm "home" about 2 weeks out of the year at Christmas.

If I need to switch over to a MA DL, then I need to do that and nobody told me about it. I'm getting paid on an academic fellowship

I was told that a resident was someone who maintained a primary residence here for more than 180 days of the year (for tax purposes) and I can prove that with my lease. Do I need to register to vote in MA as well?

Well, obviously, I'm holding off on this until I get some things straightened up.

Going to go talk to with my academic advisor, as I'd imagine that this thing comes up frequently.

FWIW, I pay MA taxes and have my IRS~legal address in MA. However, I still use my parents home some documents like my GA DL and my passport. I'm "home" about 2 weeks out of the year at Christmas.

If I need to switch over to a MA DL, then I need to do that and nobody told me about it. I'm getting paid on an academic fellowship

I was told that a resident was someone who maintained a primary residence here for more than 180 days of the year (for tax purposes) and I can prove that with my lease. Do I need to register to vote in MA as well?

By all means, do not consult with an "academic advisor;" consult with a Massachusetts attorney.

Based on the statements quoted, in my opinion you are a Georgia resident.

Be wary of rules of thumb regarding residency, and be wary of quasi-residency tests (such as that for reciprocity under Ch. 90 or for federal income tax purposes). Massachusetts adheres to the common law rule: one starts with the residence of his parents, which continues until changed; and one changes one's residence only by physically acquiring an abode in another state and moving to that state with a present intention of remaining there indefinitely. Physical presence in Massachusetts to facilitate education is prima facie temporary, and you've previously stated an intention to move elsewhere after your education is over. Now you state that you've maintained a George driver's license and you've represented to the United States Department of State that Georgia is your state of residence. If this were a bar exam question, based solely on the facts stated in this thread, the correct answer would be that you are not a Massachusetts resident.

If you are a Georgia resident, you should get your CCW license there and get a Mass NR LTC. State police only issue ALP.

Back
Top Bottom