Toy Company Designs Less-Lethal Rifle With Pentagon Financing

Lund Technologies dreams up prototypes for just about everything, from hydrogen-powered toy rockets and light-up footballs to the top-selling Honey My Baby Pony and T.M.X. Tickle Me Elmo dolls. But with a little financing from the Pentagon, the company has also devised a new type of less-lethal rifle.

According to the company, the Lund Variable Velocity Weapons System (LVVWS) is an all-in-one weapon: lethal when used at high velocity, or less-lethal at low-velocity. The gun uses pump action, shoots two rounds a second and weighs a little over six pounds. It also substitutes a uses a hydrogen-powered combustion chamber for a standard cartridge, and doesn’t produce any smoke or powder residue.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/03/toy-firm-designs-less-lethal-taser-me-elmo-rifle/.

mattel had a contract to make some of the polymer components of the M16, I believe.

After further research, I am unable to find any concrete evidence that Mattel manufactured any M16 parts, including hand grips.

Last edited:
I don't think thats true.

Its not its total BS....Mattel never made an M16 or any of its components....this was a joke with soldiers because of the plastic stocks and Mattel made a toy that looked like and M16 back in the late 60s early 70s I believe

To back up my point this article is from the August 2009 American Rifleman magazine.

M16.jpg

Last edited:
I can't confirm it right now, but I have been told by some people involved at the time that Mattel was involved in the original manufacuture of the M-16, but only in a perifery position.

As the story goes, when the the US Army awared COLT with the contract to built the M-16, Colt lacked the machines to manufacture the polycarbonate (plastic) components for the rifle. COLT contracted the use of molds and presses, plus manufacturing space at the Mattel plant. The main components (metal) for the M-16s where assembled by Colt employees at the Colt plant, then these sub-assembles were then shipped to the Colt rented area at the Mattel to be matted with the plastic components, which were manufactured at the Mattel facility on Mattel owned equipment. The assemblies were then shipped back to Colt for final processing and shipping.

After an internal review involving some missing assemblies, this process was changed and the assembly personal and equipment were moved from the rented Mattel space to the Colt plant so that assembled recievers never left the Colt plant prior to shipment.

I can't confirm it right now, but I have been told by some people involved at the time that Mattel was involved in the original manufacuture of the M-16, but only in a perifery position.

What part of "at no time" do you not comprehend?

What part of "never" don't you get?

Unlike your admittedly and wholly UNconfirmed myth, this post contains TWO citations to sources stating Mattel did NOT make M-16's, in whole or in part, at any time.

Grasp the concept.

What part of "at no time" do you not comprehend?

What part of "never" don't you get?

Unlike your admittedly and wholly UNconfirmed myth, this post contains TWO citations to sources stating Mattel did NOT make M-16's, in whole or in part, at any time.

Grasp the concept.

Nor would the above scenerio deneigh any part of that statement Scrivener. Renting space and machines from Mattel would not result in Mattel being the manufacturer of any part of the M-16. Nor do either of the sources quoted quote or cite a single source for their statements.

Nor would the above scenerio [sic] deneigh [sic] any part of that statement Scrivener. Renting space and machines from Mattel would not result in Mattel being the manufacturer of any part of the M-16. Nor do either of the sources quoted quote or cite a single source for their statements.

And you DO?

The article COPIED herein expressly stated that Mattel NEVER made parts for Colt and that Colt NEVER outsourced production.

Try again - tell how there are spider eggs in Bubble Yum and Kentucky Fried Chicken had to change its name because its mutated fowl were no longer deemed "chickens" by the Dept. of Agriculture. [rolleyes]

And you DO?

The article COPIED herein expressly stated that Mattel NEVER made parts for Colt and that Colt NEVER outsourced production.

Try again - tell how there are spider eggs in Bubble Yum and Kentucky Fried Chicken had to change its name because its mutated fowl were no longer deemed "chickens" by the Dept. of Agriculture. [rolleyes]

But what about pop rocks and coke? That's true, right? [wink]

Back
Top Bottom