• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trading Powder in MA, but from CT

Hey Everyone,

I live in CT and am licensed in CT. There is someone in VT that wants to trade powder with me, but wants to meet in Western MA. Im not sure of the laws in MA, but I do know that I cant buy any ammo or reloading components in MA. Would performing a trade in MA put me in violation, or should I try to get the person to meet in CT? I dont like jewelry, so not a fan of handcuffs!! Thanks everyone!

Powder is considered ammunition in MA so if you are caught in possession of ammunition in MA without a MA licence you would be braking the law. Be careful the chances of getting caught is slim however is still an issue. It depends how risk adverse you are.

Not legally.

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 121

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131Y, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:—

''Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges.

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 129C
Section 129C. No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

No person shall sell, give away, loan or otherwise transfer a rifle or shotgun or ammunition other than (a) by operation of law, or (b) to an exempt person as hereinafter described, or (c) to a licensed dealer, or (d) to a person who displays his firearm identification card, or license to carry a pistol or revolver.

Not saying you won't get away with it, though.

Powder is considered ammunition in MA so if you are caught in possession of ammunition in MA without a MA licence you would be braking the law. Be careful the chances of getting caught is slim however is still an issue. It depends how risk adverse you are.
This

Western Mass....hmmm... you need to blend in. Meet at a local foo foo coffee shop, wear some plaid shorts, solid color button down shirt, birkenstocks( no socks unless your Portuguese ) , bring along a couple " Happy Birthday " balloons , the goods in a trash bag, and nobody will suspsct a thing.
1623079173544.png

Doesn’t FOPA cover him?

Good question, but I don't know if FOPA covers powder. I believe that JDL in post #4 is a lawyer and if so, it's illegal according to his post at least wrt MA law. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with doing it.

FOPA brings up some useful points - don't know why I didn't think of it.

18 USC 926A covers us for interstate transport of guns & ammunition if we're legal in both start and end of trip. To my surprise USC and MGL use almost the same definition of ammuntion. 18 USC § 921(a)(17)

(17)
(A)
The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

I'm reading this to mean that you could legally transport through MA (as long as you follow the rules in 18 USC 926A). I don't have enough knowledge of either CT or VT law to guess whether you or he are legal in CT or VT.

IANAL, mind you - but pending knowledge of those two states laws I'd make the trip.

Don't speed.

:D

Thanks again everyone. Im just going to ask him to do the transaction in CT. I dont need the guy being a cop, then cuff and stuff me!
So does the guy from VT have a Mass non-res license?

If not,
then you want him to run the fictional risk of getting jacked up
on a criminal charge of unlicensed possession of ammo in Mass
(despite transport of powder through Mass being protected by Federal law).

If the OP has all this concern about MA law or FOPA (which a state trooper or local traffic cop knows nothing about), why should he force the other guy to be put at risk?
Pack it up and drive to western MA as agreed to. The sky won't fall.

A non resident hunting license is an exemption to the ltc / fid possession requirement. Provided they had intent to hunt. Now if after assembling at the rally point and having checked traded setup something happened like a call from home, weather, etc and the hunt was cancelled.

Back
Top Bottom