Shipping gold chain from Fla to Ma?

Morning. I was hoping one of you may have better insight on this and give me some advice before I make a mistake.My Father is nearing the end and over the last few years passing on things and he wants to send me his gold chain he has worn for nearly 40 years, although it's probably 10K of more it really has no monetary value but obviously we wouldn't want to have it lost/stolen by either porch pirates or even an employee of the shipper(UPS,USPS, FedEx or ?)
So basically a roughly 10$ gold chain from Boca to Glosta Ma....any advice is appreciated ty

My thoughts are with you and your family. Personally, I would fly there to see him. Round trip is not that expensive and you only have one Dad.
Ty. Leaning towards that. My father was a plumber I think you are? Steven Bell.. He owned Belco Plumbing out of Stoneham, we did Stadium Condos in Lynn, Granada Highlands, Sheffield Heights, lots of big jobs. He was raised dirt poor in Lynn and retired at 45 and always said...." He who hath a trade, hath an estate"

Last edited:
I'm still weighing my options t's a very heavy and worth atleast 12 my father has told me so I think to be absolutely sure I guess I have to suck it up and fly to Fla ..I was just trying to avoid that.

Just drop it in an appropriate envelope and send it off with regular first class mail. Nobody will know what is in the envelope. It will arrive just fine like the bills that won’t stop coming.
No! A regular envelope with the chain in it might snag in the postal machinery along the way. Also regular first class is not always that regular and without tracking if something happens it may never be found.

A padded envelope or small box, USPS insured, tracking, and signature required is a pretty safe bet.

No! A regular envelope with the chain in it might snag in the postal machinery along the way. Also regular first class is not always that regular and without tracking if something happens it may never be found.

A padded envelope or small box, USPS insured, tracking, and signature required is a pretty safe bet.
Yeah I def wasn't considering that an option no disrespect to the poster, the chain is massive probably 180g with a big Cartier type plaque with an inscription. He got it in Venezuela when it was still safe to go.

First option should be in person
Otherwise a signature required and hold at facility for pick-up works extremely well.
I say hold for pick-up because I routinely get packages misdelivered to the same house number on a connecting road. Just had to drop off a college acceptance package by hand - didn't want to make the kid wait for the post office to fix its screw up.

First option should be in person
Otherwise a signature required and hold at facility for pick-up works extremely well.
I say hold for pick-up because I routinely get packages misdelivered to the same house number on a connecting road. Just had to drop off a college acceptance package by hand - didn't want to make the kid wait for the post office to fix its screw up.
Ty. My worst fear is it just getting randomly stolen by an employee or here from some porch pirate or even a person in my bldg. If it was simply a gold chain worth ? Then I'm thinking the mail route but the sentimental value cannot be replaced so I guess I'm Fla bound.

If the chain is sent via FedEx you have the option of having it held for pickup, either at a FedEx terminal or one of the FedEx Office stores. I have had a few packages shipped that way; when the package arrives you go to the location show some ID and get your package. No opportunity for porch pirates.

If the chain is sent via FedEx you have the option of having it held for pickup, either at a FedEx terminal or one of the FedEx Office stores. I have had a few packages shipped that way; when the package arrives you go to the location show some ID and get your package. No opportunity for porch pirates.
TY. I'm def thinking of this one.

And for a Segway my heart goes out to any of you that have had to deal with a Father or Mother with dementia it's been f***ing brutal...

If you fly and bring it back dont take your eyes off it in the TSA bin. Dont check it either.
This is def something I've been thinking about I haven't flown in yrs so not sure at all of the process I'm assuming I would have to take it off going through the detector then when the TSA guy has his finger in my ass checking for TNT someone could snag it...

Ty. My worst fear is it just getting randomly stolen by an employee or here from some porch pirate or even a person in my bldg. If it was simply a gold chain worth ? Then I'm thinking the mail route but the sentimental value cannot be replaced so I guess I'm Fla bound.
People ship chains and rings all the time.

Put it in a small box.
Ship it overnight.

Done.

Fly into Fort Lauderdale, visit Dad, wear it home.

It probably is not worth much, the melt value of the alloy, the sentimental value to you is worth more than the value of the alloy I hope.

TSA... no big deal, put it the pocket of a pair of jeans in your carry on, it is easy to follow your bag thru the X Ray process, even if you get screened and they go thru the bag, it is never out of your sight. Put the jeans at the bottom of the bag. Trust me TSA employees are not that smart, I have gotten all sorts of things past them.

Just don't use your range bag as your carry on, if it gets swabbed it is going to light up their machine like a high dollar Vegas slot machine that just hit.... ask me how I know.

( TSA has been all over me my last few trips, and when they tell me they are going to swab my phone I tell them it is going to come up hot, and it always does, and they are dumbfounded what to do about it... I don't even have a carry on at this point just me, the contents of my pockets, a phone and noise cancelling headphones)

Fly into Fort Lauderdale, visit Dad, wear it home.

It probably is not worth much, the melt value of the alloy, the sentimental value to you is worth more than the value of the alloy I hope.

TSA... no big deal, put it the pocket of a pair of jeans in your carry on, it is easy to follow your bag thru the X Ray process, even if you get screened and they go thru the bag, it is never out of your sight. Put the jeans at the bottom of the bag. Trust me TSA employees are not that smart, I have gotten all sorts of things past them.

Just don't use your range bag as your carry on, if it gets swabbed it is going to light up their machine like a high dollar Vegas slot machine that just hit.... ask me how I know.

( TSA has been all over me my last few trips, and when they tell me they are going to swab my phone I tell them it is going to come up hot, and it always does, and they are dumbfounded what to do about it... I don't even have a carry on at this point just me, the contents of my pockets, a phone and noise cancelling headphones)
Ty. I worked Nuclear Security at Seabrook for years and am familiar with that type of stuff..one time a guy got hit for nitro in the portal thingy and it was his heart meds that morning and another time a guy got hit for working in his garden .I think PETN..it's been a while. Probably ammonia nitrate?

Back
Top Bottom