Traveling to Sigarms Academy

If i sign up to take a class at the SigArms Academy. What do I have to do to bring a weapon into NH for the class? How does it need to be secured? What paperwork do i need?

Just transport it like you would a gun within the state. Locked container. NH isn't a communist state like MA is!

IANAL but the best thing would be to have a NH non resident license- it's easy and cheap... took me just over a week to get it. Otherwise there are some limitiations on how you can do this. I'd suspect that you would need to keep the gun in a locked container, unloaded of course. I'd also make sure you have the training material handy while you head up there.

What class are you taking? They've got some good ones.

I believe you only need the license for concealed carry but I could be wrong. I took the basic handgun course there, very good class. Give them a call and ask, they're very friendly and helpful and probably get these questions all the time.

-Tom

NH Laws only require a CCW for concealed carry.

Thus, just lock it up, unloaded in the trunk or a case and you are all set with NH laws. If you have a NH NR CCW permit (and a MA LTC-A/unrestricted) you can just strap it on here and you'll be good to go.

It's NH, no license is required for basic secured transport and
the like. It's probably less strict than MA, even.

The "Pistol/Revolver" license only conveys concealed + vehicle
carry rights of loaded handguns and nothing more. (IIRC, open carry
is legal in NH, but I still think you need the permit to have a loaded handgun
in a vehicle. )

-Mike

I'd also make sure you have the training material handy while you head up there.

No need for that (well, other than if you might need it at the class!)
there is no law stating that you have to have a "reason" to
be transporting a gun in NH. You can have unloaded guns in your trunk "just
because you want to" more or less. NH is not a communist state- yet; and
you don't need a "reason" to posess firearms while in the confines of the state
as a visitor.

-Mike

Last edited:
When in doubt, let's go to the law. I'll take NH RSA 159:4 for $800 Alex.

The answer is: Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges.

Without a license: no loaded weapon in vehicle or concealed upon your person. Empty weapon in vehicle (anywhere) is OK. Locks not required. Open carry (loaded) is OK on your person. Concealed carry (unloaded) upon your person is OK, albeit a bit strange.

Back
Top Bottom