Trigger guard lock on S&W Auto

Has anyone seen a "facory" trigger guard lock on a S&W Auto. It fits under the trigger guard and when activated with a key prevents the trigger from being fully squeezed. A local dealer has a nice 4003 TSW for a good price but it has this device installed. I've never seen it before and I'm a bit aprehensive about buying the gun. Info would be appreciated.
By the way-Happy New Year to everyone.

Has anyone seen a "facory" trigger guard lock on a S&W Auto. It fits under the trigger guard and when activated with a key prevents the trigger from being fully squeezed. A local dealer has a nice 4003 TSW for a good price but it has this device installed. I've never seen it before and I'm a bit aprehensive about buying the gun. Info would be appreciated.

S&W 4003 trigger guard

No, it is drilled into the lower portion of the trigger guard. It is very small, but you would easily see it in a web photo. I have never seen it before. It is about the diameter of a pencil eraser and protrudes up into the trigger area when activated by a key. Imagine a 1/4-20 bolt being threaded up behind the trigger to prevent it from being pulled. Put a tamper resistant head on the bolt to require a special key to operate. It seems like a good idea, but the fact that I have never seen one before is giving me second thoughts. The gun-shop owner claims that it is a factory installed option.

S&W 4003 trigger guard

No, it is drilled into the lower portion of the trigger guard. It is very small, but you would easily see it in a web photo. I have never seen it before. It is about the diameter of a pencil eraser and protrudes up into the trigger area when activated by a key. Imagine a 1/4-20 bolt being threaded up behind the trigger to prevent it from being pulled. Put a tamper resistant head on the bolt to require a special key to operate. It seems like a good idea, but the fact that I have never seen one before is giving me second thoughts. The gun-shop owner claims that it is a factory installed option.

S&W 4003 trigger guard

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest calling S&W Tech Supt on Tuesday and ask them about it. Never seen or heard of it. Might check S&W's website in the interim.

Sounds like a NJ thing to me! :(

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest calling S&W Tech Supt on Tuesday and ask them about it. Never seen or heard of it. Might check S&W's website in the interim.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the Safe-T-Trigger.

When the Brits sold S&W, they sold it to the guy who invented this gadget, so it's possible it WAS a factory installed option for a while.

The law enforcement model had a key with three prongs on it, the civilian version had a different key with only two prongs on it, guess the idea was they didn't want us mere civilians to be able to get our hands on a key that would work on cop's guns.

Don't know if that's more funny than stupid, or more stupid than funny. :?

I don't see it currently listed on the S&W site, so it's probable that it's no longer an offered option, which is kinda ironic . . .

Regards
John

When the Brits sold S&W, they sold it to the guy who invented this gadget, so it's possible it WAS a factory installed option for a while.

The law enforcement model had a key with three prongs on it, the civilian version had a different key with only two prongs on it, guess the idea was they didn't want us mere civilians to be able to get our hands on a key that would work on cop's guns.

I don't see it currently listed on the S&W site, so it's probable that it's no longer an offered option, which is kinda ironic . . .

Regards
John

Regards
John

Safe-T-Lock

Yup, its the Safe-T-Lock allright.
Next Question: How does the installation of this
contraption alter the long-term value or
desirability of this gun (S&W 4006)

Thanks,
Chris

Safe-T-Lock

Thanks,
Chris

Safe-T-Lock

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Safe-T-Lock

ChristosX said:

Thanks,
Chris

<shrug>No clue.

How old are you? It's possible that fifty or sixty years from now, this will be a rare enough oddity that a collector will be willing to pay a nice premium for a gun so equipped. Are you willing to hold this as a speculative investment that long? :)

Regards
John

ChristosX said:

Thanks,
Chris

<shrug>No clue.

How old are you? It's possible that fifty or sixty years from now, this will be a rare enough oddity that a collector will be willing to pay a nice premium for a gun so equipped. Are you willing to hold this as a speculative investment that long? :)

Regards
John

ChristosX said:

Thanks,
Chris

<shrug>No clue.

Regards
John

misunderstood

I would not consider a common "duty" type pistol as the 4003/6 as an investment with collector value. I just don't want to have a permanent device attached to a 700 dollar investment that somewhere down the line is considered useless or detrimental to the operation of the gun. I would rather the pistol NOT be equipped with this device. :?

misunderstood

I would not consider a common "duty" type pistol as the 4003/6 as an investment with collector value. I just don't want to have a permanent device attached to a 700 dollar investment that somewhere down the line is considered useless or detrimental to the operation of the gun. I would rather the pistol NOT be equipped with this device. :?

misunderstood

Back
Top Bottom