Triple 777 Firestar

Mark from MA

NES Member
I swear to god everytime I go to need to buy new pellets every 3-4 years Wal Mart changes they brand or type and I end up buying a new one. I guess I could go to Cabelas or something, but I bought this new "cleaner" Firestar stuff as it was all they had in stock.

Anyone use it yet? I have to just check sight in for PA, and then load a few speedloaders. But they didn't have regular 777. So now I have to shoot at least 3 to make sure I can load 3 times if needed without major accuracy issues, or cleaning issues between shot 1 and 3. Plus I need to make sure this stuff with shoot the same zero as 777.

I swear to god everytime I go to need to buy new pellets every 3-4 years Wal Mart changes they brand or type and I end up buying a new one. I guess I could go to Cabelas or something, but I bought this new "cleaner" Firestar stuff as it was all they had in stock.

Anyone use it yet? I have to just check sight in for PA, and then load a few speedloaders. But they didn't have regular 777. So now I have to shoot at least 3 to make sure I can load 3 times if needed without major accuracy issues, or cleaning issues between shot 1 and 3. Plus I need to make sure this stuff with shoot the same zero as 777.
Never used it. When the rumor went around last year that there was going to be supply issues with black powder and BP substitute I bough 5 boxes of 777 pellets so I'm good for awhile. If you run into issues with the Firestar stuff and can't find regular 777 pellets PM me and I can get you some.

Never used it. When the rumor went around last year that there was going to be supply issues with black powder and BP substitute I bough 5 boxes of 777 pellets so I'm good for awhile. If you run into issues with the Firestar stuff and can't find regular 777 pellets PM me and I can get you some.
Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend. I have regular old 777 powder if I get jammed up, but thanks for the offer.

As long as it's accurate I'll be OK.......Ill post the results.

They say its cleaner....that I doubt.......but if it is, it would be nice. 777 i have to clean every 4th shot.

Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend. I have regular old 777 powder if I get jammed up, but thanks for the offer.

As long as it's accurate I'll be OK.......Ill post the results.

They say its cleaner....that I doubt.......but if it is, it would be nice. 777 i have to clean every 4th shot.
I remove the breech plug and run a patch from breech to muzzle between every shot. 777 is some dirty stuff.......but it's accurate and convenient in the field.

I remove the breech plug and run a patch from breech to muzzle between every shot. 777 is some dirty stuff.......but it's accurate and convenient in the field.
I get usually 3 good shots with 777.....successive shots really start to wander off, 5 I can barely run the bullet down anymore it gets too tight.

So after 3 I clean if just regular sighting for hunting. I want to make sure I can shoot 3 relatively good on zero, without having to clean in between as I would never be doing that in the field chasing down a deer.

For looking at groups, I'd clean after every shot.

Having the quarter turn breech plug on the CVA is fantastic when cleaning....super fast and easy.

Has anyone used the Blackhorn 209 powder. I just won a CVA Accura MRX .50 from the KTP September fest,
and have plenty of the Blackhorn powder.

Well. Checked zero today. All good with the Firestar. 3 shots at 100 yards 2inch group. Dead on the bullseye 1inch high. Didnt have to move the scope.

Cleaned yup pretty good. Maybe a bit cleaner than 777. Not really sure I didnt feel the need to waste any more powerbelts

I only use 2 pellets ever. 150 grains is a lot of powder and I'm not sure my gun can even shoot that. Plus in most cases, more powder, shots start to become erratic.
I guess it depends...but I feel no need to go there.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the Blackhorn 209 powder. I just won a CVA Accura MRX .50 from the KTP September fest,
Probably the best to use, requires less cleaning in between shots, and it's worth it's weight in gold. Congrats on the win btw.

I have not in my CVA as I couldn’t find any Blackhorn at the time but make sure you put the blackhorn breech plug in as those rifles come with two.
Congrats that’s a nice rifle to win.

I have not in my CVA as I couldn’t find any Blackhorn at the time but make sure you put the blackhorn breech plug in as those rifles come with two.
Congrats that’s a nice rifle to win.
I think that was my reservation with Blackhorn. I'd have to buy another breech plug....and haven't done the research, but didn't want to buy another one just to shoot
powder, and if its not a quarter turn plug, I don't want it.

I don't do enough ML to really worry about it really. This is the first year I'll use it early season in PA..........most of the time when MA's stupid late season rolls around, I'm either burnt out,
or have deer in the freezer or both.

I use it in a BoneCollector .50 cal...works great...I've shot a dozen or so and didn't need to swab the barrel. You can use the BlackHorn solvent to clean as well... I like it.