True? There are no corrosive boxer primers?

I have seen a lot of random ammo that I am not familiar with and was told to not worry about corrosion if the rounds are boxer primed as there are no corrosive boxer primers even made. Is that true? Any corrosive powders floating around out there?

I have been buying and testing out any 7.62x54r but many of the Berdan primed ammo can be corrosive even when it claims not to be. I can get delayed from cleaning sometimes...

I have seen a lot of random ammo that I am not familiar with and was told to not worry about corrosion if the rounds are boxer primed as there are no corrosive boxer primers even made. Is that true? Any corrosive powders floating around out there?

I have been buying and testing out any 7.62x54r but many of the Berdan primed ammo can be corrosive even when it claims not to be. I can get delayed from cleaning sometimes...

Not true! Early US GI ammo had boxer primers that were corrosive.
See the link below for military ammo with corrosive primers...
http://www.odcmp.org/1101/usgi.pdf

There likely were other commercial loads that have corrosive boxer primers, but I can't cite chapter and verse...

If you can't take simple preventative cleaning steps, you'd probably better just shoot newer American-made ammunition.
Many foreign ammo makers may say non-corrosive when in truth it is slightly or moderately corrosive. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom