Trying to get back in -- USMC infantry to Army Aviation

It just would have been a lot all at once. I'm kinda regretting not taking the August date right now. I might have been able to make it work... but then my wife would have been due right around my first week or two in the cockpit. I'm thinking moving down there with a 5 month old will at least have us in a bit of a routine.

Just thought I’d throw in an update. I got down here in March. We finished “common core” this week as one of the last classes to fly the TH-67. This has been by far the hardest thing I have ever tried to learn. Kicked my ass everyday. Funny enough I found instruments to be the easiest part of flying. It should be on to Blackhawks after Christmas, and I’m hoping to be out of here by the summer.

Just thought I’d throw in an update. I got down here in March. We finished “common core” this week as one of the last classes to fly the TH-67. This has been by far the hardest thing I have ever tried to learn. Kicked my ass everyday. Funny enough I found instruments to be the easiest part of flying. It should be on to Blackhawks after Christmas, and I’m hoping to be out of here by the summer.
Awesome. Keep having fun.

Just thought I’d throw in an update. I got down here in March. We finished “common core” this week as one of the last classes to fly the TH-67.
(LTFY).
What's the replacement entry-level trainer?

This has been by far the hardest thing I have ever tried to learn. Kicked my ass everyday.
USAF Museum Trainer Crash Diorama

Photo #2 of 6 photos:
150316-F-IO108-005.JPG

(LTFY).
What's the replacement entry-level trainer?

The army is going to the UH-72, which is essentially an EC145. I think the idea is that it is also going to be (and currently is) used for some domestic missions. I don’t believe they ever intend to field it as a combat aircraft. There seems to be mixed thoughts on it as a trainer depending who you talk to. On one hand it tosses students right into managing an advanced cockpit. Also, it’s safer as a twin engine helicopter. On the other hand, it’s allegedly not as good at building stick and rudder skills. But then again, 2-3 years or more down the road when we have some hours in our advanced aircraft I don’t know that the head start with flying the little analog TH-67 is going to really make a difference.

Tired is not good in helicopters.

I don’t think they were unsafe, they are pretty meticulously maintained, but it wasn’t uncommon to be delayed or have to swap out a helicopter because something came up on the preflight with some older instrumentation or something. You can buy a lot of these bad boys on gov auction sites now lol.

Most helicopter pilots hate flying IFR

Most helicopter pilots hate flying IFR

It’s comparatively boring, I suppose. Especially as compared to NOE or Contour. That said, the 203 only has “force trim” so it still requires a constant scan and keeps you pretty engaged. I’m sure it’ll be more ho-hum with the coupled systems in the advanced aircraft.

The hardest part for me has definitely been learning the stick and rudder skills, especially at a hover. The theme of the course is right when you think you’re starting to get the hang of something, they move you along. I think I enjoyed instruments because I “got it.” I’m looking forward to learning the aircraft I’ll be flying for the foreseeable future and actually getting good at it... hopefully.

It’s comparatively boring, I suppose. Especially as compared to NOE or Contour. That said, the 203 only has “force trim” so it still requires a constant scan and keeps you pretty engaged. I’m sure it’ll be more ho-hum with the coupled systems in the advanced aircraft.

The hardest part for me has definitely been learning the stick and rudder skills, especially at a hover. The theme of the course is right when you think you’re starting to get the hang of something, they move you along. I think I enjoyed instruments because I “got it.” I’m looking forward to learning the aircraft I’ll be flying for the foreseeable future and actually getting good at it... hopefully.
That's great, but currency is a big deal long-term. Instrument flying is a perishable skill. Hopefully you are able to stay sharp. Legally current and proficient are two very different things.

That's great, but currency is a big deal long-term. Instrument flying is a perishable skill. Hopefully you are able to stay sharp. Legally current and proficient are two very different things.

The army tries to combat this by mandating IFR flight unless the mission or training requires VFR. We'll see how that shakes out in reality -- I've heard mixed things. It varies a lot on mission set. It doesn't take much googling to find IFR trained pilots with 1000s of hours who kill themselves. A student had to brief an accident every day of IFR training.

Back
Top Bottom