Tulsa Police Department Major: Police Shoot Black Americans 'Less Than We Probably Ought To'

Reptile

NES Member
Discussing nationwide protests over the killing of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis, a white Tulsa Police Department major said Monday systemic racism in policing "just doesn't exist."

Speaking to talk radio host Pat Campbell on his podcast, TPD Maj. Travis Yates also suggested that, according to his interpretation of crime data, police should actually be shooting black Americans more frequently.

"You get this meme of, 'Blacks are shot two times, two and a half times more,' and everybody just goes, 'Oh, yeah,'" Yates said. "They're not making sense here. You have to come into contact with law enforcement for that to occur.

"If a certain group is committing more crimes, more violent crimes, and law enforcement's having to come into more contact with them, that number is going to be higher. Who in the world in their right mind would think that our shootings should be right along the U.S. Census lines? That's insanity.

"All of the research says we're shooting African-Americans about 24% less than we probably ought to be, based on the crimes being committed."

It's a not-so-great way of saying, "Given the rate at which blacks offend, they're underrepresented in the police shooting stats."
I understand that. I’m saying him saying Police Shoot Black Americans 'Less Than We Probably Ought To' is being taken out of context for the headline.

It's a not-so-great way of saying, "Given the rate at which blacks offend, they're underrepresented in the police shooting stats."

Agreed. And if he'd phrased it like that, we wouldn't be reading about it. As it is? He spoke hastily and is now, sadly, a meme.

There is no good way to say that, since those "rates" are based on police contacts, and police disproportionally contact black people.
Are you arguing that blacks, especially young males, DON'T commit a vastly disproportionate share of violent crime in the US? The police aren't "contacting" them looking for PAL donations.

Systemic racism in policing 100% exists. But it isn't evenly spread out across the country. And there are levels of systemic racism in different police departments. The truth is that it's LESS than your average dumb-ass American believes this morning.

There is no good way to say that, since those "rates" are based on police contacts, and police disproportionally contact black people.

There may be some truth to the contacts part of this but there's also a chicken or the egg situation dont you think?

A disproportionate % of shootings are committed by black males AGAINST black males

This isnt a product of biased police contacts.....police arent making black males shoot other black males......its a product of social/other problems in those communities

Both sides (Police and certain populations) have issues......but neither side seems to be serious about admitting they have a problem and moving to fix it

At the end of the day its a failure of personal responsibility

True. I agree 100%. (Which isn't often - LOL)

Blacks killing blacks - we aren't assuming that Tyrone is here to protect Twan. But we DO expect a level of professionalism from Ofc Mayberry. So it's not a one-to-one. They are actually two DIFFERENT problems. (Assuming cops shooting black men is a problem. I'm not convinced it is, but. . . )

I totally get it and mention it often, but it's apples and oranges. You can't sweep a POTENTIAL (again - potential) problem of cops unduly shooting blacks (or just treating them like crap) BECAUSE other blacks shoot blacks.

Definite failure of personal responsibility. Which, IMHO, goes back to the 60's when we felt that embarrassing people who did stupid s-word (like knock of your GF and bail. . . repeat) would hurt their feewingz.

It's all a big circle jerk catch 22.

Young black males commit lots of violent crime.
Everyone is afraid of them, including a lot of these cops who have to interact with them.
They create and perpetuate the very stereotypes they bitch about.
Since being physical is the only thing they understand, the cops have to be MORE physical in order to come out on top.
Cop 2 turns a blind eye to whatever the Hell Cop 1 does, because "brotherhood of the thin blue line."
POC see this as systemic racism.
"The man" keeps putting them down, man.
This angers them.
Oppression, ya dig?

They respond by committing more violent crime that nobody ever sees or knows anything about.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Add in occasional rioting and looting when someone actually catches it while holding the camera sideways so it shows up better on the news, and you're at 2020.

It won't stop until the "I dindu and dinsee nuffins" in the neighborhoods, and in the precincts are held accountable.

Both groups need to police their own so that the other group doesn't have to.

He should have played this twitter video showing the reality on the ground:

View: https://twitter.com/truebluecanadi1/status/1270803364629172226

Disgusting. They should both be dragged down the street, put against the wall and shot dead. Sadly this happens daily in every big city, I’ve seen it for years just in Boston. These people are f***ing animals.

All these Dems and cop haters better be careful what they’re wishing for, or start getting themselves in shape to fight them off because this will be everywhere and nobody will be safe from it.

Back
Top Bottom