Two questions (NH)

Two questions I posted on packing.org (relating to my desire to own a handgun although I'm under 21) which didn't get answered:

One, what's the deal with ammo? I was under the impression that it's only legal to sell handgun ammo to someone under 21 if it can also be used in a rifle and the dealer believes it will be used in a rifle. Wouldn't that make it impossible for me to buy ammo for my gun? Even if I took it to the range? Also, when it says "parents", does that apply to step-parents or only flesh and blood? My step-dad would probably [buy a handgun from a store/FFL and then sell/transfer it to me], but he lives in Maine and I believe I would have to deal with shipping it to an FFL (unless the parent/guardian rule doesn't count over state lines, in which case I suppose it doesn't matter either way, eh? [wink] ).

I can't address NH or ME laws on ammo sales, hopefully people who live there can answer you.

Parents can't transfer a gun to you without an FFL if you don't live in the same state as they do. However, they can certainly "loan" you a gun regardless of what state you live in, as long as it is legal for you to possess it (NOT in MA). So, you need to know the NH laws to answer that part of it.

LenS said:
Parents can't transfer a gun to you without an FFL if you don't live in the same state as they do. However, they can certainly "loan" you a gun regardless of what state you live in, as long as it is legal for you to possess it (NOT in MA). So, you need to know the NH laws to answer that part of it.

Well, unless I'm missing something, I believe it would be legal to "loan" it to me, since I'm over 18, and NH law states:
"It is unlawful to sell or give a handgun to a minor, unless the gift is from a parent, guardian or executor to a child, ward or heir."
You did mean they can loan it to me over state lines, correct? Also, perhaps I should have confirmed this earlier, but if you use a FFL to transfer a gun from one private individual to another, then federal 21+ laws apply, correct?

Yes, anyone can loan a gun across state lines. Ownership doesn't change (your parent will continue to own it).

Any time you involve an FFL, you must comply with the laws and regs. Since they say no hanguns to <21 yo, that would apply.

LenS said:
Any time you involve an FFL, you must comply with the laws and regs. Since they say no hanguns to <21 yo, that would apply.

OK, that's what I thought, but I'd be kicking myself if I found out later that I was wrong and wasted a lot of effort. :p

Back
Top Bottom