• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U S Navy Rifle Squads

I shot a Highpower match in Reading some years ago and was next to a guy that used to be on the Navy Rifle Team. At the 600 yard line he had a group so small it was something I could only dream about. Only problem was he had an extra hit on his target. All in a small group except for one. Seems I cross shot his target. He chuckled, slapped my shoulder and told me something I still remember to this day. He said there are two kinds of shooters. One who’s cross shot a target and one who’s going to cross shot as target. One cool guy.

One of my Plt Sgts would occasionally have a Sailor come ashore with us during training.

Most of them were considering becoming SEALs and wanted a taste of the field life.

I shot a Highpower match in Reading some years ago and was next to a guy that used to be on the Navy Rifle Team. At the 600 yard line he had a group so small it was something I could only dream about. Only problem was he had an extra hit on his target. All in a small group except for one. Seems I cross shot his target. He chuckled, slapped my shoulder and told me something I still remember to this day. He said there are two kinds of shooters. One who’s cross shot a target and one who’s going to cross shot as target. One cool guy.
I think I know that guy.

Feisty little Italian guy? @Mountain @mac1911 , what do you think…is he referring to who I think he’s referring to?

I think I know that guy.

Feisty little Italian guy? @Mountain @mac1911 , what do you think…is he referring to who I think he’s referring to?
Could be. CPO Spaghetti O's would have been crushing everyone some years back when his eyes and knees were in decent condition. Still crushing everyone when those issues are not getting in the way.

While on destroyer duty in Vietnam during late 60s and early 70s, as a Weapons Department petty officer I was a member of the ship's landing party. Training was limited, informal and only onboard. We got to shoot M1911s, M1s, BARs, Thompsons and a .30 cal machine gun at debris tossed overboard. The closest I ever got to going on a mission was at Quang Tri when NVA came South across the DMZ (March 1972). We were told there were marines that might need to be evacuated. Fortunately, ground forces were able to provide the required resources so we were not deployed. I believe the crew had the motivation and attitude for the mission, but doubt if we had the skill set. After reading "The Sand Pebbles" and watching the movie, San Pablo's crew appeared to have had more training than ours.

Back
Top Bottom