Uh Oh - this one’s going to hurt but I can’t pass it up.

I called the guy out on it and am waiting on a reply. The barrel is too long for the indent in the case. He's also selling a Pre Model 25 in a presentation case and I'm hoping he just mixed up the boxes.
The case is of the last variety so not correct for a pre 25 either.
It dates to around 1970 with that style tool compartment and cover.
Earlier ones the gun would face/point the other direction.

It is a bargaining chip....

What's so great about this gun?

Looks like they swiped it from the table of a gun held together with rubber bands on the grip from MSP next to one of their patches and mis matched ammo.

What's so great about this gun?

Looks like they swiped it from the table of a gun held together with rubber bands on the grip from MSP next to one of their patches and mis matched ammo.

It's the being rare thing that drives the price. This is one of 2500. S&W also made a small 200 batch of them in 45 Colt. If it was one of them, it would be worth north of $20K.

It's the being rare thing that drives the price. This is one of 2500. S&W also made a small 200 batch of them in 45 Colt. If it was one of them, it would be worth north of $20K.
Oh ok!

So it's a collectors item.

Hard to believe it's worth that much.

Have you checked prices on GunBroker?

Being that it's beat up pretty bad - I would not pay that kind of money.

Oh ok!

So it's a collectors item.

Hard to believe it's worth that much.

Have you checked prices on GunBroker?

Being that it's beat up pretty bad - I would not pay that kind of money.

Yep. I've seen items sell for anywhere between $2500 and $4000 for one of these. I'm going to be looking at the low end for this specimen.

Old Smith Revolvers rock....but I am not a collector so rarity and original boxes mean nothing to me personally. I go for the sweet spot revision (-#) that improved the gun...but didn't take a step backwards at the same time...typically 80s, early 90s for my 686, 625, 629.

Nice find. Buy it.

Sweet! Get it and bring it to the Franklin Lodge Turkey Shoot on the 18th in Grafton! If you claim it's your carry gun, I won't call you a liar. [smile][smile]

Look at its cost per month over your ownership period. Figure you'll own it for at least 20 years, so divide the cost by 240. Even at $10k that's under $42 a month, 10 bucks a week. Price of two fancy coffees at Starbucks. The younger you are, the longer you'll keep it and the cheaper it will be.
Ah, the old "Reduce to the ridiculous" tactic ! Even when you know the sales tricks, you still can't resist them. Nice wheel-gun - do it !

Whelp, after more research I've told the guy that I'm going to pass on this as its more beat up then the price would indicate. Funny thing though, I posted this over at S&W Forum and a very nice guy in Alabama said he had one in his safe for the last 40 years that he's sell to me for half what the other guy was asking. So SALE!!! Should have it by Wednesday!!!!

DSCN1239.JPG

Whelp, after more research I've told the guy that I'm going to pass on this as its more beat up then the price would indicate. Funny thing though, I posted this over at S&W Forum and a very nice guy in Alabama said he had one in his safe for the last 40 years that he's sell to me for half what the other guy was asking. So SALE!!! Should have it by Wednesday!!!!

View attachment 813442

Awesome. That’s another great forum.

View attachment 813442

I just happened to find that thread the other day and I thought this might be your decision. Good choice.

Look at its cost per month over your ownership period. Figure you'll own it for at least 20 years, so divide the cost by 240. Even at $10k that's under $42 a month, 10 bucks a week. Price of two fancy coffees at Starbucks. The younger you are, the longer you'll keep it and the cheaper it will be.
Assuming he could sell it for what he paid, the cost per month is the amount the money could generate at the current Rf (risk free interest rate, running about 5% these days), so if the gun costs $10K, the cost per month is $42. Funny how the math works out to the same number. I have a 25-2 5.5" bbl mint except cylinder mark I bought at Lew Hortons retail shop in the late 90's. It came with a bolt on S&W comp (never attached), but no case or box for $350. I don't think it has the rarity or cool factor of the model 26 though.

View attachment 813442
Ill hunt those clips up and drop them off next time i roll through mendon!

Back
Top Bottom