Ultimate AR - which lower

If you were putting together your ultimate AR - and you had to pick one lower for it, what would it be.

I say one lower because its going to be a NFA gun, so once its registered there will be no changing the lower.

Im torn between Noveske and LWRC. I also like the KAC stuff, but its quite a bit more money for nothing really.

My though process is that if Im going to drop the coin to put together a NFA gun, I may as well do it up the best I can. I have a couple S&W / Stag lowers I could use - but what the hell!

Essential Arms.

They're priced well and the best finish and machining I've used so far. Far surpassing even the Anvil Arms lowers from the first lower group buy. I have five, built my first this weekend, second probably tomorrow.

I have two Tactical Innovations T15BDX billet lowers, they are extremely nice and I think worthy of consideration. One of them has been built, the second is going to be my AR project this year. $209 with stainless anti-rotation bushings for the trigger group - a bargain for this level of quality. There is virtually no slop in the trigger what so ever with these bushings.

SemiAutoSam, they actually make titanium lowers? :) Didn't know that. I think it would be too heavy, weighs a lot more than aluminum.

Yeo,
Oly arms use to make one it was a casting but better than nothin if its all one can find.

Here is one for 300.00 Its a 80% lower so that means it needs to be finished but it most likely also means no FFL involved.
http://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=286

If I cant get one through normal channels I plan to ask those that make magpul lowers or another mfg to make one or more for me but then there are really spendy maybe I’m just dreaming out loud.

I have tons of other things around here I need to spend money on I need a new rifle like a hole in the head.

My mind spends money faster than my body can earn it I’m afraid.

SemiAutoSam, they actually make titanium lowers? :) Didn't know that. I think it would be too heavy, weighs a lot more than aluminum.

Well, that would be a pretty cool project! You could probably get someone to machine the casting if you really wanted it. You need a CNC and the right tooling. I'm not surprised it is a casting, forging that shape out of Ti would be challenging.

Yeo,
Oly arms use to make one it was a casting but better than nothin if its all one can find.

Here is one for 300.00 Its a 80% lower so that means it needs to be finished but it most likely also means no FFL involved.
http://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=286

If I cant get one through normal channels I plan to ask those that make magpul lowers or another mfg to make one or more for me but then there are really spendy maybe I’m just dreaming out loud.

I have tons of other things around here I need to spend money on I need a new rifle like a hole in the head.

My mind spends money faster than my body can earn it I’m afraid.

When you say "ultimate", do you mean prettiest, best, or most expensive? I can't help you with most expensive or pretty, but there really is no "best". Practically speaking, any lower from a reputable firm will do it's job as well as the most expensive or prettiest one you can find. I can't see paying more than $125 for any lower, if performance was my main concern.

It will be the best I own to date, quite pretty and most certainly the most expensive. Tolerances are a big concern - especially with the hammer and trigger pins/pin holes as they will be taking a beating. As I said, it will be an NFA item so the option of replacing the lower down the road wont be an option.

For Billet maybe check out Sun Devil.

AR-15%2BCOLORED%2BRECEIVERS.jpg
Sun Devil

The lower is just a case with holes in it to hold parts. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bad one. The only one I've ever heard of being bad was Olympic, and that was probably an isolated case.

The lower is just a case with holes in it to hold parts. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bad one. The only one I've ever heard of being bad was Olympic, and that was probably an isolated case.

I believe it was a bit more than an isolated case.

The early Oly Arms cast receivers had a number of problems and were poorly regarded.

IIRC, at one time, they even had a policy where they would exchange/trade-in a customers cast receiver in exchange for a forged one.

arrgghhh one thing I hate about finding out about more lower manufactures...........for some odd reason I feel drawn to build a pretty colored AR....No no no stop....ahhhh the gotta buy another garand or mosin voices are back....man that was scary. newbie issue here. Why is a NFA reciever not replaceable if damaged? So if I get the ok to do a SBR and my reciever cracks I cant get it replaced?

It may be to you, but I can tell you that of the 3 lowers I have now, s&w m&p15, stag and a bushy, the fit and finish on the m&p is cleaner looking and with 3 different uppers, the m&p holds the tightest fit between upper and lower. These are things that are important to me, especially when putting the kind of money into the build I am.

You wouldn't put walmart brand "sport" tires on a Porsche would you?

arrgghhh one thing I hate about finding out about more lower manufactures...........for some odd reason I feel drawn to build a pretty colored AR....No no no stop....ahhhh the gotta buy another garand or mosin voices are back....man that was scary. newbie issue here. Why is a NFA reciever not replaceable if damaged? So if I get the ok to do a SBR and my reciever cracks I cant get it replaced?

I don't know he law on a nfa receiver being replaced because of that type of damage, I'd imagine the mfg could replace it with an identically stamped lower, but I'm refering to fit and finish. If the fit of receiver pins is sloppy or the fit between upper and lower is sloppy, it's not like any of my other ars where I can match it with another lower or simply
replace the lower

I see, I thought you where stateing that it would see a lot of use and needs to stand up to it. as far as tight fitting. I would think no matter how snug the fit, you would have to limit your disasembly or the fit would loosen a bit no matter what? Maybe I am wrong but why would tight fit be of a big concern? I understand you dont want sloppy crappy fit. Being a SBR(that is what you intend to build?) is there a real need to be such a tight fit. I would be more concearned with the upper and pure function of the overall function. If I where going to have a unlimited budget build I might go for the Titanium billet reciever/upper just cause. keep us posted on your direction. I have not heard of some of these places mentioned on this thread.

It will see alot of use and does need to stand up to it too, I don't want to dump a ton of money into a build that will sit in the safe! It will also have a can on it so it'll see some extra impact/wear and tear.

I'd say a Larue or Magpul billet lower. Spike's just came out with a billet lower also and it looks very nice.

Complete%20Upper%20and%20Lower%20on%20side%202_LRG.jpg

It may be to you, but I can tell you that of the 3 lowers I have now, s&w m&p15, stag and a bushy, the fit and finish on the m&p is cleaner looking and with 3 different uppers, the m&p holds the tightest fit between upper and lower. These are things that are important to me, especially when putting the kind of money into the build I am.

You wouldn't put walmart brand "sport" tires on a Porsche would you?

If fit/finish are your criteria for this build, then I would recommend buying a paired/fitted set (upper and lower receiver).

Back
Top Bottom