University Builds Forensic Library Of Plastics From 3D Printed Guns

Reptile

NES Member
As most are aware, the issue of 3D printed guns comes up from time to time, usually in a negative light. Despite the controversy, scientists and enthusiasts have still provided useful designs and concepts that have taken 3D printed guns a long ways from from the first model in 2013. With an expanded 3D printing industry, some went the extra mile to contemplate how this could affect criminal investigations in the future. In 2017, a chemistry professor at the University of Mississippi, along with a graduate student began studying the physical evidence left behind from 3D printed guns. Since then, they have amassed a reference library containing more than 50 types of polymers that can be used in forensic investigations.

University Builds Forensic Library Of Plastics From 3D Printed Guns -

Couldn't the list just be "all polymers used in 3D printers"? Free list right there.

It sounds to me like they're setting themselves up as experts in the field, to be called upon (for a fee) to consult and perform analyses. Not that it would be wrong, I'm just saying the study isn't likely altruistic.

P.S. That job sounds way better than my job.

Back
Top Bottom