• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upcoming Appleseeds Rifle Shoots: 6/25 and 7/1

The regular Monday Harvard Appleseed shoot is going to be tonight (and all 2nd and 4th Mondays) at 6pm. The next weekend shoot is going to be Sunday July 1st at noon.

What is Appleseed:
Appleseed is a grass roots program popping up all over the country started by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (www.rwva.org). The basic premise is that the health of the Second Amendment (and the country) is directly proportional to the number of active Riflemen and Riflewomen in it. Mini-Appleseed events (like this one) are basically groups getting together on their own and shooting. Full-scale Appleseed events (like what will be happening in Hartford, CT on 4/21 and 4/22) are weekend long shoots where RWVA national instructors will travel to a location and anywhere from dozens to hundreds of shooters will come to learn from them. The program has been around for a little bit over a year now, and ~1000 people have come to appleseed events so far. This year's calendar is already packed with events almost every weekend somewhere around the country.

What do we shoot:
I like to explain appleseed to other shooters as an entry level version of NRA High Power rifle -- less gear, less distance, less money, but building almost all of the same skills. It's a Junior Varsity to High Power's Varsity (living happily together) The standard course of fire is the Army Qualification Test (AQT) on scaled targets at 25 meters (simulating 100, 200, 300, 400 meter targets) in standing, sitting/kneeling and prone positions. Scoring 200 out of 250 for an "expert" Rifleman score is the basic level of proficiency we're shooting for (~4MOA, or 1" at 25 yards or 4" at 100 yards). When space, time, and skill allow we shoot long range too (Harvard has a 100yard range we will use, and a 200/300 yard range for club members only), but the bulk of practice is done at 25 meters.

What equipment do we use:
The single requirement is any safe, working rifle (bolt/semi/whatever) in any caliber (22lr to 30.06+) that'll reach 25 meters. If I were to suggest a rifle to get the most out of the program, it would be semiauto, mag-fed (10 round mags are fine) with iron sights but if you have something other than that, the program will bend for you. In addition, you might want to bring whatever you need to be comfortable in prone (mat/carpet/tarp and some elbow protection).

Directions
Take I-495 to Route 2 west. Immediately take exit 39. Turn left at the end of the ramp onto Taylor St. Take your first left onto Porter Rd. and follow it to the end. At the end of Porter Rd., turn left onto Whitcomb Ave. (Whitcomb Ave. becomes Littleton County Road). After 1.3 miles, look for a driveway on the left side (small sign, dirt road, easy to miss). If you reach Old Schoolhouse Hill Rd. or Cleaves Hill Rd., you've gone too far.

Last edited:
Aw futz

With a bit more notice I coulda made it tonight. [frown]

(unsolicited testimonial coming ... [grin])

These shoots have helped my marksmanship a lot.

I've got Monday evenings free for the summer so I'll be at the next one.

With a bit more notice I coulda made it tonight. [frown]

(unsolicited testimonial coming ... [grin])

These shoots have helped my marksmanship a lot.

I've got Monday evenings free for the summer so I'll be at the next one.

You know, there's 2 weekend long ones coming up in August and October in Vermont. Camping will be available at both of them.

I can't make 7/1 (childbirth class) but when you mention that they are held "every other 2nd and 4th Monday" do you mean that you will skip July and hold them on the 2nd and 4th Monday in August, October, etc?

Just talked to Ross about this. I'm feeling sick today so I'm going to be moving the Appleseed to tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6pm. Sorry bout that.

A good time was had by crak and I... at least until I tried to shoot Fred's quick and dirty AQT.
banghead.gif
I have GOT to talk to my optometrist again... It's tough to hit a 1" square at 25 meters when you can hardly SEE it.

A good time was had by crak and I... at least until I tried to shoot Fred's quick and dirty AQT.
banghead.gif
I have GOT to talk to my optometrist again... It's tough to hit a 1" square at 25 meters when you can hardly SEE it.

Just use a grenade. [smile]

[smile]

Hope you don't mind if I steal that and use it all the time.

Use it one of my favorites was when a recruit was having trouble zeroing or shooting the black I would yell at them...

"I'll strap on a 203 and make this process a whole lot less f***ing time consuming!!"

banghead.gif

What did you score? I tried it and scored 168, so I still have much work to do[wink]

Use it one of my favorites was when a recruit was having trouble zeroing or shooting the black I would yell at them...

"I'll strap on a 203 and make this process a whole lot less f***ing time consuming!!"

[laugh2][rofl][laugh2][rofl]

Lob it in from the cheap seats - 40 mm's at a time!

I'm looking at August 4th for the next weekend one. Starting sometime around 3pm. I'll have a more solid update as it gets closer.

August 13th I will not be able to make it because I'll be coming back that day from my 1st Wedding Anniverary weekend extravaganza. I won't make it back in time. So I'll move that one to Tuesday August 14th.

As to Ross's score, we didn't even add it up. [shocked] That's ok... I've seen him do much better. Just needs to practice!

Chris

Jeez, makes me remember the late '60's when I used to go up to a local Sight-In day (Operation Bulls-Eye) at the KD Range at Ethan Allen Firing Range.

I used to work in the pits pulling targets, and when somebody shot really bad, we'd write "Get a Shotgun" on the target in Magic marker.

Will there be an shoot this Saturday (Aug 4)? I've been lurking on these threads, and I'd really like to go to my first shoot, but Mondays are tough for me. I can make Saturday after 11:00ish

Back
Top Bottom