***UPDATE***1st Batch of Test Rounds

Dnizzle80

NES Member
I'm brandy new to reloading (please go easy on me if you read something here that doesn't sound right) and I finally got in everything I need to start reloading 9mm on my Dillon SDB. It's been a hell of a learning experience thus far and I'm eager to test fire these rounds. I'm using 115gr rounds and CFE powder. From what I've read, CFE powder is a tad hotter than some other popular powders so I started with a recommended low end charge of 4.9gr and went down from there to 4.6gr. I loaded 20 of each this way I can get a feel for how they will group out of my Beretta 92FS. Took me about 2hrs. to do this batch simply because my nerves wouldn't let me go on without carefully measuring random charges to be sure I was right where I needed to be for both loads. I must admit it is a bit nerve racking especially being new. Hopefully Sunday I'll be able to fire these off just unfortunately not through a chrony just yet. That's my next investment.
9asavemy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
I might be reading this wrong but you really don't want to load below the starting load data..... what was your source of data?
Hodgdon puts starting load for 115gn with cfe pistol @ 5.3 grains
cast bullet @ 4.9 ......that's from hodgdon web site?

Last edited:
Is that a plated 115gr bullet?

Hodgen lists the starting load for a 115 gr LRN at 4.9, and a max at 5.4

Hodgen also lists a starting load for a speer GDHP at 5.3 and max at 5.9

Most plated manufactures recommend a load between a published lead bullet load, and jacketed load, usually starting at min lead bullet levels.

I would recommend firing the 4.9gr loads, over a chrono if available. But would not recommend firing your sub min loads.

CFE is a new powder, I do not know how it will react to a light loading.

When I was on Hodgdon's site last night, I read it as 5.3gr was starting for HP bullets and 4.9 was starting for cast. This is why I figured to go down a little to 4.6gr rather than go up and make too hot a round with the CFE.

Sent from my iPhone

When I was on Hodgdon's site last night, I read it as 5.3gr was starting for HP bullets and 4.9 was starting for cast. This is why I figured to go down a little to 4.6gr rather than go up and make too hot a round with the CFE.

Sent from my iPhone

Are your bullets plated? Or Jacketed ?

Sent from my iPhone

Plated

Sent from my iPhone

Stick between hodgdon's published data for the Lead RN 115gr bullet, (4.9-5.4) and you will not be "too hot"

RIGHT! So I will not be firing the 4.6 loads then and will just stick with the 4.9 and see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone

I was just as surprised, but it kind of makes sense.
If the flash from the primer runs into a solid(ish) wall of powder, a small "kernel" of flame will propagate through the powder and it'll burn in a predictable manner.
If the primer flash is over top of a settled "bed" of powder that is 1/2 the height of the shell when horizontal, the primer will flash over the whole surface of the powder and Bad Things Can Happen.

Analogy: A spark ignition gasoline engine working properly will have a small flame "front" propagating from the sparkplug outward in all directions, whereas a gasoline engine that is not running correctly can "deisel" and "ping" (or "detonate" - Where most or all of the fuel goes off at once.)

Now, is CFE dense enough that four tenths could really cause a problem? I can't say, I'm not sufficiently expert at this to know offhand. This is why we start with lab-tested manufacturer-provided minimums!

If the flash from the primer runs into a solid(ish) wall of powder, a small "kernel" of flame will propagate through the powder and it'll burn in a predictable manner.
If the primer flash is over top of a settled "bed" of powder that is 1/2 the height of the shell when horizontal, the primer will flash over the whole surface of the powder and Bad Things Can Happen.

Analogy: A spark ignition gasoline engine working properly will have a small flame "front" propagating from the sparkplug outward in all directions, whereas a gasoline engine that is not running correctly can "deisel" and "ping" (or "detonate" - Where most or all of the fuel goes off at once.)

Now, is CFE dense enough that four tenths could really cause a problem? I can't say, I'm not sufficiently expert at this to know offhand. This is why we start with lab-tested manufacturer-provided minimums!

Excellent explanation and analogy...does make sense! I'll be pulling those light loads tonight then and reload all at 4.9gr to start instead. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Hmm now that I'm thinking. Is this a problem because of case capacity?! I use pistol powders in my cast rifle loads and I know the powder is not covering the flash hole at all times. 18 grains of 2400 in a 30-06 is a small amount.
Loads below minimum can be dangerous..... even when cases are pretty full ..... 30 carbine comes to mind.

Also, what's the best way to ensure consistency of powder drop through multiple rounds loaded. Am I able to load X amount of loads at a whack or do I need to constantly check how much powder is dropping every so many rounds?

Sent from my iPhone

Also, what's the best way to ensure consistency of powder drop through multiple rounds loaded. Am I able to load X amount of loads at a whack or do I need to constantly check how much powder is dropping every so many rounds?

Sent from my iPhone

Know your equipment, and its performance with a given powder. Some powders are more inconsistent in some drops. When you have a decent comfort level you can increase the number of rounds between checks.

That is bs.

I check the last cartridge of each 50 loaded for handgun and the last of each 20 for rifle.

This has more to do with due diligence than any necessity.

I have handloaded rifle and pistol cartridges for about 45 years with no significant problems.
Checking charge weights for each box of cartridges simply makes me feel better.

I was lucky enough to learn about and start handloading before the age of internet forums. I had to rely on published loading manuals instead of the opinions of random strangers. I still strongly suggest the latest Lyman manual as required reading for newbies.

Jack

The danger of under minimum loads is not detonation it's squibs. I doubt that your lightest loads will do that.

Thanks but I'm not sure I want to risk it. I'll stick with the 4.9gr minimum for now until I get more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone

I check the last cartridge of each 50 loaded for handgun and the last of each 20 for rifle.

This has more to do with due diligence than any necessity.

I have handloaded rifle and pistol cartridges for about 45 years with no significant problems.
Checking charge weights for each box of cartridges simply makes me feel better.

I was lucky enough to learn about and start handloading before the age of internet forums. I had to rely on published loading manuals instead of the opinions of random strangers. I still strongly suggest the latest Lyman manual as required reading for newbies.

Jack

The Lyman 49'th was the 1'st thing I purchased. Unfortunately it doesn't have a recipe for 9mm 115gr LN rounds, only 115gr HP rounds. This is why I had to refer to the internet to seek additional data. Additionally, the CFE powder I'm using is so new, it also is not listed in the manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone

I'll normally check my first five to ensure consistency, then spot check around every 10th. Could probably do more in between but I haven't been doing it long enough. If I'm doing a huge batch, which would be 200+ in a sitting for me and it's been consistent my spot checks will spread to every 20th after around 50/60 rounds. This is all pistol, haven't tried rifle yet.

The Lyman 49'th was the 1'st thing I purchased.
The most important part of the Lyman manual is the first 80 or so pages.
I hope that you have read through them ( a couple of times would be good [wink])
Unfortunately it doesn't have a recipe for 9mm 115gr LN rounds, only 115gr HP rounds. This is why I had to refer to the internet to seek additional data. Additionally, the CFE powder I'm using is so new, it also is not listed in the manual. ....
Trusted data sources can include data provided by the component manufacturer on the internet, but (not usually) random strangers.

I could have been more clear about that.

The current shortages of ammo and components make it tempting to buy whatever is currently available in the hope that it can somehow be made to work safely. I am afraid that these circumstances will tempt less experienced folks to make poor decisions.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom