***UPDATE***1st Batch of Test Rounds

Detonation in reduced loads is primarily an issue with large cases and slow powders.
I use autocomp and a reduced load in that powder would be extremely dirty and have large variations in velocity

The most important part of the Lyman manual is the first 80 or so pages.
I hope that you have read through them ( a couple of times would be good [wink])

Trusted data sources can include data provided by the component manufacturer on the internet, but (not usually) random strangers.

I could have been more clear about that.

The current shortages of ammo and components make it tempting to buy whatever is currently available in the hope that it can somehow be made to work safely. I am afraid that these circumstances will tempt less experienced folks to make poor decisions.

Jack

I have read through the manual with the exception of the rifle rounds section as I don't intend on loading any in the foreseeable future. I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to the range yesterday and fired 25 successful rounds. My 26'th round was a squib round. Luckily there was no damage to me or my Beretta. I was able to dislodge the bullet from the barrel rather easily. I will not fire off the rest of the 14 other rounds just incase they didn't have enough charge. Instead, I'll take them apart and weigh them to be sure they were charged correctly.

I'm typically a much better shot but was nervous as hell shooting off the first 10. As my nerves relaxed, I was able to pull them in a little tighter....
3ebysudy.jpg

Last edited:
This is when things get interesting. You had a squib load? Now why? No powder.
Care full when you pull the rest of your loads. You might find a over charged round. I hate Squibs........total confidence killer in your remaining rounds.
I have had 2 squibs with my reloads. Both where thankfully during a slow fire part ofcthe match.....

Your probably going to find your Beretta enjoys a hotter load anyway, so work up. Mine gets
more accurate with a load on the higher end of whatever is recommended by the manufacturer - I use Longshot mostly, which also tends to favor hotter loads.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding the Beretta is designed to withstand the military loads which are essentially +P, so I definitely wouldn't bother with underpowered loads. Did all your rounds cycle the slide and seat a new round?

This is when things get interesting. You had a squib load? Now why? No powder.
Care full when you pull the rest of your loads. You might find a over charged round. I hate Squibs........total confidence killer in your remaining rounds.
I have had 2 squibs with my reloads. Both where thankfully during a slow fire part ofcthe match.....

This X2!

Also, to the OP: You might find that accuracy was suffering because the load was too light. I've loaded/shot some min handgun loads that were absolutely horrific, but when I bumped it up a few tenths of a grain it was noticeable better. If I were you I would load ~ (20) 4.9, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3gn loads and then compare.

Your probably going to find your Beretta enjoys a hotter load anyway, so work up. Mine gets
more accurate with a load on the higher end of whatever is recommended by the manufacturer - I use Longshot mostly, which also tends to favor hotter loads.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding the Beretta is designed to withstand the military loads which are essentially +P, so I definitely wouldn't bother with underpowered loads. Did all your rounds cycle the slide and seat a new round?

Yes all rounds fired that day cycled through with no issues.

This X2!

Also, to the OP: You might find that accuracy was suffering because the load was too light. I've loaded/shot some min handgun loads that were absolutely horrific, but when I bumped it up a few tenths of a grain it was noticeable better. If I were you I would load ~ (20) 4.9, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3gn loads and then compare.

I will certainly experiment within the parameters as I became more comfortable. My nerves were definitely getting the best of me through the first magazine I shot. I've since loaded some more at a little hotter load 5.0 & 5.1 and will be at the range next Thursday to test those. I'll post again with how I did. Thanks.

I'll normally check my first five to ensure consistency, then spot check around every 10th. Could probably do more in between but I haven't been doing it long enough. If I'm doing a huge batch, which would be 200+ in a sitting for me and it's been consistent my spot checks will spread to every 20th after around 50/60 rounds. This is all pistol, haven't tried rifle yet.

I like to use the rcbs lockout die for pistol rounds. Throw a few powder charges to check weight, then set the die. To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom