• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(Update: Round 2) Appleseed this weekend, getting ready, AQT prep

What distances are shot there?

Usually it's 25 yards with scaled targets simulating 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds.
AS903NEW.jpg
AS912-RedCoatNEW.jpg

No doubt about it... Several years ago I had an optritican (sp?) fit an old pair of Ray-Ban's with Rx yellow lenses with focal point set where it should be for shotgun. They suck. The lenses are total crap and I was never happy with them. I guess it's time to step up and pay for a real set. There's a great shop called Pirelli Optical in Beverly that is out of network for my vivion insurance and I'm finding it difficult to pay a premium for something that I'd have coverage for somewhere else. I guess really am becoming a true Swamp Yankee after all!

The red-dot (Vortex Venom) has been great since I'm able to wear my driving glasses and everything is in focus. Turns out that seeing the target is pretty important.
Idok here on NES is out of Natick. Is a shooter and understands what shooters need.
Now for the lens. More times than not your not looking through the center of the lensSo if the lens is made where tour only getting correction in the center its not going to work well.
Dr. Ginsberg was great at figuring out the correction needed.
I have a set of shooting glasses
1st was Randolph Rangers with corrective lens in the aiming eye only. Those worked great for years.
When my correction changed I went with Decot HyWyds . They make their own lens.
Give them a call they are great to deal with and with your current Rx can lead you in the right direction for the proper Rx you need for shooting.

And I did it with my AR because at the time I didn’t own a 22. Felt a little bad for the guy next to me.
When I did it (at Harvard, on a Patriots Day) there were enough attendees that all the "real" rifles were on the 65-yd range. I was not that cool; I used my 10-22, learned a lot, but did not earn my patch. I want to do at least two more: once again with the 22, and once with the M1...and I want that patch.

Last edited:
When I did it (at Harvard, on a Patriots Day) there were enough attendees that all the "real" rifles were on the 65-yd range. I was not that cool; I used my 10-22, learned a lot, but did not earn my patch. I want to do at least two more: once again with the 22, and once with the M1...and, I want that patch.
If your anything like me, once you get your patch, your just going to want more. I got my patch on optics at my first event. Wasn't satisfied, so I went back with a goal of earning my patch on iron sights. Now that I have it, I have my sights set on the Distinguished patch with iron sights and optics.

But you know what was really satisfying, the fact on day two I was consistently scoring 220 or better. I was very pleased with my constituency.

If your anything like me, once you get your patch, your just going to want more. I got my patch on optics at my first event. Wasn't satisfied, so I went back with a goal of earning my patch on iron sights. Now that I have it, I have my sights set on the Distinguished patch with iron sights and optics.

But you know what was really satisfying, the fact on day two I was consistently scoring 220 or better. I was very pleased with my constituency.
Yeah, only really interested in irons for Appleseed. Optics I'll do on my own. That Winterseed patch, though...

Yeah, only really interested in irons for Appleseed. Optics I'll do on my own. That Winterseed patch, though...
i do not have any rifle with irons now, at all.
obviously enough shooting scoped 1/2 moa rifle at 25yds from a benchrest is not making much sense there, but, shooting that thing standing up with a sling - it may.

it would be quite interesting taking that small 300yds patch target and placing it at actual 300yds. that would be a good challenge.

it is so regretful Ed prohibits .22lr at the 300yds range at harvard, i really think it is quite a stupid thing, but, whatever. i am not the one to argue about rules there.

i do not have any rifle with irons now, at all.
obviously enough shooting scoped 1/2 moa rifle at 25yds from a benchrest is not making much sense there, but, shooting that thing standing up with a sling - it may.

it would be quite interesting taking that small 300yds patch target and placing it at actual 300yds. that would be a good challenge.

it is so regretful Ed prohibits .22lr at the 300yds range at harvard, i really think it is quite a stupid thing, but, whatever. i am not the one to argue about rules there.
Yeah, the course of fire is positional, sling supported: standing, sitting/kneeling, prone. You don't have to use irons, but it's recommended. It really is a marksmanship clinic ideally suited to beginner shooters.

I have a bunch of the targets, I'll happily give you a couple. Try them how you'd like.

WRT 22 at the 200, I hear you. Maybe in the future. But as long as Eddy is in charge, I don't expect that to change. And his is probably the cleanest range at the club, so he must be doing something right.

absolutely agree, and not going to try pissing him off. :) i wish him only the best, he is a solid guy.
I didn't think you were saying anything else.

It's actually part of why I "only" want a 223 to put under my scope. I'm not in @groundscrapers class (I can't even see it from where I'm sitting) but it sounds like a great goal.

At the Mansfield shoot in 19', a dude on the line was shooting a WWII vintage Browning BAR in 30-06. Actually, I don't know how old it was, but its was that old, detachable 20 round mag, parkerized design, not the modern era Browning BAR hunting rifle. In contrast, the AR's were mild. The Earth shook with each round from the BAR. It was cool for him, not so cool for the rest of us. BTW, I did earn the patch with irons and bad eyes, but it was almost by accident since I could barely see the 400yd target! LOL...

Recent posts raise a few thoughts:

1. At some point in the senescence process the eyes just can't do irons any more (DAMHIKT). I'm not there, but am closing in on it. A scope of up to 6x (maximum permitted by CMP Rimfire Sporter) makes things really easy at 25m. After practicing a couple of days with my iron sights, Wednesday I shot an AQT using a scope and banged out a 243 with two called flyers; it felt like I was hardly even trying. Couldn't get close to that with the irons yesterday.

2. If you are going to get prescription shooting glasses, talk to the doc about setting the dominant eye correction not at your usual long-distance Rx, but pulled back just enough so you can focus clearly on the front sight. It isn't as much correction as reading glasses and usually allows you to focus clearly at long-ranges too. My eye doc, an Army Ranger, used two different charts, one at the distance of my front sight, as he flipped lenses to get the best vision in both eyes.

3. Also on glasses, if you use progressive lenses in normal life, don't shoot with them. Progressive lenses bend the light differently at every point in the lens, making it impossible to get a consistent sight alignment. Get single-plane lenses.

4. For good-quality shooting glasses, Revision Military is a relative bargain. I use the 4-color set for varying conditions.

5. Don't underestimate the value of practicing with .22LR. The only difference from your AR is recoil. If I can shoot cloverleaf groups with my 10/22 at 25, I can easily shoot 1 MOA at 100 with my AR. And the practice ammo, even using premium stuff, is 1/4 of the cost of .223. Use the money saved to buy more ammo and to go to Appleseeds.

6. For more fun at low cost, look for a Rimfire KD Appleseed. There was one in CT recently. Shooting can go out to 200 yards, so you get the full flavor of adjusting sights for different distances and wind, too, if you're lucky.

Recent posts raise a few thoughts:

1. At some point in the senescence process the eyes just can't do irons any more (DAMHIKT). I'm not there, but am closing in on it. A scope of up to 6x (maximum permitted by CMP Rimfire Sporter) makes things really easy at 25m. After practicing a couple of days with my iron sights, Wednesday I shot an AQT using a scope and banged out a 243 with two called flyers; it felt like I was hardly even trying. Couldn't get close to that with the irons yesterday.

2. If you are going to get prescription shooting glasses, talk to the doc about setting the dominant eye correction not at your usual long-distance Rx, but pulled back just enough so you can focus clearly on the front sight. It isn't as much correction as reading glasses and usually allows you to focus clearly at long-ranges too. My eye doc, an Army Ranger, used two different charts, one at the distance of my front sight, as he flipped lenses to get the best vision in both eyes.

3. Also on glasses, if you use progressive lenses in normal life, don't shoot with them. Progressive lenses bend the light differently at every point in the lens, making it impossible to get a consistent sight alignment. Get single-plane lenses.

4. For good-quality shooting glasses, Revision Military is a relative bargain. I use the 4-color set for varying conditions.

5. Don't underestimate the value of practicing with .22LR. The only difference from your AR is recoil. If I can shoot cloverleaf groups with my 10/22 at 25, I can easily shoot 1 MOA at 100 with my AR. And the practice ammo, even using premium stuff, is 1/4 of the cost of .223. Use the money saved to buy more ammo and to go to Appleseeds.

6. For more fun at low cost, look for a Rimfire KD Appleseed. There was one in CT recently. Shooting can go out to 200 yards, so you get the full flavor of adjusting sights for different distances and wind, too, if you're lucky.
Any recommendations for Rx lense sights, doest look like Revision does any.

I "only" want a 223 to put under my scope
i would disagree with that profusely. :)
irons are fine on historical artifacts, but if you deal with modern precision rifles - not scoping them makes you a disservice.
like i just moved to 4-14x specifically on the cz457, as it can benefit from having 14x and is capable to drive 5 out of 10 shots into the dime sized hole at 100yds.
and if you want to hit a dime you`ve got to be able to see the dime.

ps. the cmmg 16" .22lr dedicated barrel in the AR shoots like shit, btw. was a total waste of money to make it. all intact mechanically, but, just has a shitty spread with any ammo that is capable of cycling the bolt.

Last edited:
irons are fine on historical artifacts, but if you deal with modern precision rifles - not scoping them makes you a disservice.
like i just moved to 4-14x specifically on the cz457, as it can benefit from having 14x and is capable to drive 5 out of 10 shots into the dime sized hole at 100yds.

ps. the cmmg 16" .22lr dedicated barrel in the AR shoots like shit, btw. was a total waste of money to make it. all intact mechanically, but, just has a shitty spread with any ammo that is capable of cycling the bolt.
Well I guess not scoping modern rifles is really based on what your trying to accomplish, at least it is for me . For instance I'm enjoying the challenge of Appleseed with my iron sights.

Now if your talking putting dinner on the table, the scope all day. No reason not to.

My point is it's not a disservice to the type of shooting I'm doing if what Im looking for is enjoyable to me, fits the class of shooting for a competition/event, etc.

I see the benefits of glass, but I like my iron sights

Any recommendations for Rx lense sights, doest look like Revision does any.
What is an "Rx lens sight"?

It is possible to get a corrective lens for the rear aperture sight on a service rifle (National Match version of the AR15 sight) but I don't remember the source. Such a lens is permitted under CMP Service Rifle rules. For Olympic/World Cup type sights, the major makers including Anschutz, Centra, and Gehmann make corrective rear apertures such as this one: Champion's Choice but I think glasses can be cheaper.

What is an "Rx lens sight"?

It is possible to get a corrective lens for the rear aperture sight on a service rifle (National Match version of the AR15 sight) but I don't remember the source. Such a lens is permitted under CMP Service Rifle rules. For Olympic/World Cup type sights, the major makers including Anschutz, Centra, and Gehmann make corrective rear apertures such as this one: Champion's Choice but I think glasses can be cheaper.
Sorry I meant web site, that does Rx lenses for frames

like @nightpoison says, I think it's horses for courses.

If you're looking to use a rifle for modern militia-type reasons, you should absolutely use optics. Similarly, if you're working at the edges of personal vision.

It happens that my eyes are still reasonably young and I actually enjoy shooting with irons - particularly through (as you say) historical firearms. My M1 doesn't need optics, and I really don't want them on my 357 Henry carbine.

At some point, I'll probably straddle the line, and put glass on a lever gun in 45-70 or similar, so I can hunt ethically at longer ranges. Before that, I'll strap my Razor HD onto something in 223 and use it to make the smallest holes I can learn how over on the 200 and 300 ranges.

I gotta drag my ass back to one, was a great experience all around.

One of these days I'll get to another one as well (I did two at Monadnock a few years back, the second told me that I really needed to get glasses). Maybe now that some craziness at home has settled down.

I did an Appleseed shoot at my club , i showed up 100% prepared with equipment to shoot well. My Ruger 10-22 was cleaned and lubed and test fired. What i was NOT prepared for was a very windy saturday and shooting prone in a sandy action bay. Guess what plagued me all saturday morning ? Sand ingestion causing all kinds of malfunctions and ruined score potential. So take my advice run your 10-22 DRY !

I shot in similar conditions and had good performance with a teflon based dry lube. The key was that the dry lube didn't get all gummed up with crap from the dusty breeze, or from the ammo. It was quite clean after hundreds of rounds. Impressive stuff!

I did an Appleseed shoot at my club , i showed up 100% prepared with equipment to shoot well. My Ruger 10-22 was cleaned and lubed and test fired. What i was NOT prepared for was a very windy saturday and shooting prone in a sandy action bay. Guess what plagued me all saturday morning ? Sand ingestion causing all kinds of malfunctions and ruined score potential. So take my advice run your 10-22 DRY !
This is true to lots of 22s
Even in the manual for the 10/22 it says only enough “lube/oil” to protect from rust.
Which is hardly enough to see

I shot in similar conditions and had good performance with a teflon based dry lube. The key was that the dry lube didn't get all gummed up with crap from the dusty breeze, or from the ammo. It was quite clean after hundreds of rounds. Impressive stuff!
The only thing that gets used on my .22s', works great.
1635550173489.png

Better than Rem or any other dry lube is Hornady One-Shot. It says it is a CLP but it doesn't clean worth a darn. But it's the best dry lube and rust protector on the market. It is the only thing I use in the receiver, on the bolt, and in the bore (for storage) on all my 10/22s.

Back
Top Bottom