• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPS wont ship a long gun unless the shipper is ffl?

CAESAR

NES Member
I haven't shipped a gun from some time.
I need to ship a bolt action rifle return to a store out of state.
They provided me return label with UPS. But I now read that I must go to my local FFL for them to ship it? Otherwise UPS won't take it from me?

Print out or have a bookmark to the USPS regulations on mailing long guns when you go to the post office... it's saved me a bunch of hassle from well-intentioned PO clerks who don't know their own regs.

I believe OP said "UPS", not "USPS".

I've shipped a couple firearms and ammo through UPS; those shipments required that I go to a "hub" or similar distribution center. UPS stores in malls, for example, could/would not process those shipments.

I believe OP said "UPS", not "USPS".

I've shipped a couple firearms and ammo through UPS; those shipments required that I go to a "hub" or similar distribution center. UPS stores in malls, for example, could/would not process those shipments.

Yes. I said UPS. Do I need to notify them at the hub that it is a firearm?

I agree with @appraiser

If the FFL sent you a prepaid label, then it's their account and their license. If you want to be extra cautious, ask the FFL to send you a copy of their FFL (they may not send it to you though), and take it to the UPS Hub with you. Honestly, though, if it's boxed up and has a prepaid label on it, they most likely won't even ask what's in it.

I've only told them once that it was a firearm because they asked. Then they said "it's unloaded, right"
Otherwise, they scan it and give me a receipt and I'm on my way.

If you have a label then box it up and ship it. Doesn’t need to be shipped by a dealer if the label was provided to you by a dealer using their account.

I recently opened both ups and usps account. UPS requires a firearm pick up at the dealer. It has to be sent signature required, no alternate delivery, and one additional thing I don’t recall.

USPS, requires a form to be filled out at each post office you will be mailing firearms from.

Dave

Last edited:
You’re not shipping a firearm. You’re shipping “machine parts.” That's what a UPS employee informed me when sending out my mini.

And hope nothing happens to your shipment. some people say their shipping insurance is crap anyway, but if you needed to file a claim, you'd be SOL.

Yes. I said UPS. Do I need to notify them at the hub that it is a firearm?

Reading the link provided earlier, it's evident that UPS no longer allows individuals to ship firearms, they have to come from an FFL. News to me, and different than my experience, but that's what they're saying...

UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

I have been shipping rifles from the Watertown UPS customer center for many years. I shipped one about 8 months ago there I think. But best to
call before going there.

The franchised "UPS Store" places won't ship guns.

UPS and Fedex both changed their policies last year and require accounts with associated FFL for firearms shipments. Before that, you could easily ship from a hub, but not so now.

Then again, I'm sure many people working the counters probably don't really know the official policies - much like ticket agents for airlines.

Now, I use shipmygun.com as often as possible when shipping because their rates are great.

Back
Top Bottom